GENUKI Home page up Devon ContentsContents & Search Nearby Places Nearby Places upGeneral information
 
 

ALVERDISCOTT

Map of the area
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
"ALVERDISCOTT, or Alscott, is a pleasant village and parish, 5 miles E. by S. of Bideford, containing 332 souls, and 2244 acres of fertile land, including the hamlets of Bullworthy and Stonecross. Richard Preston, Esq., is lord of the manor, formerly held by the Fleming, Bellew, and other families; but A.W.J. Dene, Esq., and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The Church (All Saints,) has a tower and three bells, and the living is a rectory. . . . Wibbery, or Webbery, was anciently the seat of a family of its own name, and was successively held by the Lippincotts and Cutcliffes, the latter of whom rebuilt the house about 30 years ago." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Fremington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.

General Information

Cemeteries

MIs for this parish are included in the Incledon and NDA North Devon indexes - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.

Census

Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]

Church Records

Parish Registers going back to 1602 are held in the Devon Record Office - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon Record Office.

The Society of Genealogists holds copies of the parish registers containing Christenings (1602-1896), Marriages (1602-1837) and Burials (1612-1812).

The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1775-1837 - for details see their book list.

Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):

Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).

Granville, Roger & Mugford, W.E. (eds.) Alverdiscott 1617 and 1624. Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644, and short notes on the extant pre-reformation registers of all the parishes in the county, from particulars furnished by the several incumbents thereof. Vol. 1 A-Bra. Exeter: W. Pollard (1908) [Full text].
An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Abbotsham, Alverdiscott, Alwington, Bideford, Buckland Brewer, Bulkworthy, Clovelly, East Putford, Frithelstock, Hartland, Landcross, Littleham, Monkleigh, Northam, Parkham, Wear Gifford, Welcombe and West Woolfardisworthy. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850 and Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England 1844, CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Abbotsham Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Alverdiscott Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1775-1837; Alwington Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Bideford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Buckland Brewer Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Bulkworthy Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1814-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Clovelly Bapt: 1813-1838, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Putford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1797-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Frithelstock Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Hartland Bapt: 1838-1839, Mar: 1558-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Landcross Bapt: 1814-1839, Mar: 1761-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Littleham Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1851; Monkleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Northam Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Parkham Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1537-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Wear Gifford Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Welcombe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1757-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; West Woolfardisworthy Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

History

Edgecombe, Alan. If walls could talk: a short history of Alverdiscott.Alverdiscott. The Author (1996) 74p: ill.
Franklin, H.L. Alverdiscott: short notes on its history, Bideford, [1936?]w 14 pp. [Westcountry Studies Library: pB/ALV/0001/FRA]
Williams, H. Fulford. Notes on the Parish of Alverdiscott, Devon. Typescript (1965) 8 leaves. [Westcountry Studies Library]

Probate Records

Summary of the admon. of Richard Mallett (1643), provided by Mike Mallett.

Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Last updated: 17 Dec 2013 - Brian Randell

Return to top of page
Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.