A parish in Exminster Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.
"ASHCOMBE, a scattered village and parish, near the source of a rivulet, three miles E. of Chudleigh, has only 297 souls and about 2200 acres of land, including about 500A. of waste and plantations. Sir Rt. L. Newman, Bart., is lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil. The Church was repaired and partly rebuilt in 1825, at the cost of about £1000. It is a neat cruciform structure, with a tower and three bells, and a handsome east window of stained glass. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £18, and in 1831 at £247, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. W.H. Palk, M.A., who has 31A. of glebe, and a good thatched residence, with tasteful grounds. The tithes were commuted in 1842, for £242 per annum. In 1802, Robert Moalle left £3 a year for schooling poor children. The National School, for this parish and Mamhead, has a house for the teachers, and was built by the lord of the manor." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Cresswell, B.F. Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon, (1912). [Extracts]
Ashcombe - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
The Society of Genealogists holds copies of the parish registers covering the years 1581-1837.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1581 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1562, 1581-1836, and Marriages 1583-1638, 1654-1836.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1841, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1783-1837 - for details see their book list.
Granville, Roger & Mugford, W.E. (eds.) Ashcombe, 1609-1636. Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644, and short notes on the extant pre-reformation registers of all the parishes in the county, from particulars furnished by the several incumbents thereof. Vol. 1 A-Bra. Exeter: W. Pollard (1908). [Full text]
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
Godley, Jocelyn and Godley, Olive M. The Parr Family from Ashcombe and the Dipstale Family of Exeter, Devon Family Historian, vol. 143, (2012) pp.23-26.
Godley, Jocelyn and Godley, Olive M. The Parr Family from Ashcombe and the Dipstale Family of Exeter, Devon Family Historian, vol. 145, (2013) pp.13-15.
Godley, Olive M. and Godley, Jocelyn. The Parr and Dipstale Families, (2 vols.) [DFHS Library 929.2/PAR].
Griffiths, Grace. The book of Dawlish: a history of Dawlish and Dawlish Warren with notes on the surrounding villages of Ashcombe, Cofton, Kenton, Mamhead, Powderham and Starcross. Buckingham: Barracuda (1984) [BL X.800/39475]
Ashcombe contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Monday, A.J. Parr Family of Devonshire, and William Parre of Ashcombe. Western Antiquary 4 (1885) pp.10-11. [Will of William Parr, 1546.]Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 24 Feb 2013 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|