|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"ASHPRINGTON, or Ashpreignton, is a small neat village, picturesquely seated on a gentle slope, near the confluence of the river Harbourn with the estaury of the Dart, 2½ miles S.E. of Totnes. Its parish contains 588 souls, and 2644 acres of fertile land, including the hamlets of Washbourn and Yeatson and part of Tuckenhay, where there is a large paper mill, a corn mill, and quarries of hard stone, of which great quantities are exported in vessels of 160 tons, to London, &c., for Macadamizing roads. Richard Durant, Esq., owns a great part of the parish, and is lord of the manor of Sharpham, where he has a large and handsome freestone mansion with extensive and well-wooded grounds . . . . This manor has been held successively by the Winard, French, Prideaux, Drewe, Giles, Yarde, Cockey, Pownall, and Bastard families. Painsford, an ancient mansion, on the banks of the river Harbourn, is the seat and property of Mr. Philip Mitchelmore, and has been successively held by the Piperell, Halwill, Somaster, Kellond, Courtenay, and other families. . . . The Rev. G.T. Carwithen, Mr.W.D. Adams, C. Pearce, Esq., Mr. T. Mudge, J. Browne, Esq., and several other freeholders have estates in the parish. The Church (St. David,) is a handsome structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower and five bells. . . . The rectory, valued in K.B. at £29. 1s. 8d., and in 1831 at £560, is in the patronage of the Rev. T.G. Carwithen, and has been held by the Rev. Jacob Ley, M.A., since 1795. The Rectory House is a neat mansion, and the glebe is 28A. 3R. 17P. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Coleridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.
Cornworthy and District Local History Group. Memories from the 20's, 30's and 40's: Ashprington, Tuckenhay, Cornworthy, Mrs S. Johnson, Turvey, Tuckenhay, nr Totnes, TQ9 7EQ (2008?).
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993) .
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
The Deanery of Totnes: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials . . . with photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850, CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Ashprington: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Blackawton: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Buckfastleigh: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Cornworthy: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1840), Dartington: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Dartmouth St. Clement: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Dartmouth St. Petrox: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Dartmouth St. Saviour: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Dean Prior: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1755-1837), Bur (1790-1837), Diptford: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Dittisham: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Halwell: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1755-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Harberton: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Holne: Bapt (1813-1842), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Rattery: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1800-1837), South Brent: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Stoke Fleming: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Totnes: Bapt (1813-1842), Mar (1754-1837), Bur: (1813-1837)]
Granville, Roger & Mugford, W.E. (eds.) Ashprington 1597-1602. Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644, and short notes on the extant pre-reformation registers of all the parishes in the county, from particulars furnished by the several incumbents thereof. Vol. 1 A-Bra. Exeter: W. Pollard (1908). [Full text]
McNaught, M.J. (transcr.). Totnes Deanery Marriages, Vol. 1 - Ashprington: M 1597-1649, 1657-1850, strays index & banns only index, Blackawton: M 1538-1850, strays index & banns only index 1758-73, 1785, 1796, Buckfastleigh: M 1597-1641, 1650-57, 1668-1850, strays index, Cornworthy: M 1568-1642, 1653-1850, strays index, Dartington: M 1538-55, 1569-83, 1589-1635, 1653-1850, strays index, (2006). [SoG Library, DE/R 98]
Index to the 1841 census, from the Parishes of the South Hams website.
Burwin, Heather. The Coleridge Hundred and its Medieval Courts. Kingsbridge: the Author (1982) 28p: ill, bib, maps.
Stanborough & Coleridge Magistrates Court Register - 1880, Exeter, Devon Family History Society, (Booklet & PDF D106). [Foreword]
Stanborough & Coleridge Magistrates Court Register - 1881, Exeter, Devon Family History Society, (Booklet & PDF D107). [Foreword]
Register of Freeholders - Braunton, Cliston, & Coleridge c1816, Exeter, Devon Family History Society, (Booklet & PDF D126). [Foreword]
Transcription provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
Worthy, C. Devonshire Parishes: or the antiquities, heraldry and family history of twenty-eight parishes in the archdeaconry of Totnes (2 vols), Exeter, W. Pollard (1887). [Chap. XIII: Ashprington - Canonsleight Priory; BOTY or BOWDEN; manor of Painsford; KELLARD; DREWE; BASTARD; CARWITHEN] [Index]
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Ashprington from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Legge, John. Villages of the South Hams: Ashprington, Tuckenhay, Cornworthy, Harbertonford, East Allington, Obelisk Publications (2001). [ISBN 1 903585 05 8] [Index]
Reichel, Oswald J. The Hundreds of Devon, XII. The early history of the Hundred Colridge. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 43, (1911) pp.190-236.
Worthy, Charles. Devonshire Parishes. Exeter: William Pollard (1887) - Vol. 1, pp. 301- 305.
Index of heads of Households in Devonshire: Ashprington, P.O. Box 339, Blackburn, Victoria, Australia 3130, Australian Institute of Genealogical Studies (2000). [As recorded in Land Tax records 1747-1832]
An Act for vesting part of the settled estates of Philip Wynell Mayow, Esquire, in Ashbrenton, otherwise Ashprington, in the county of Devon, in trustees, etc. Laws and Statutes: VIII: [15 Geo. III. Private Acts, c. 10.] (1775) 10p.
Sullock, J.D.C. Militia of the South Hams - Part Two: Ashprington, Portlemouth, Chivelstone, Thurlestone, Ugborough, Modbury, Aveton Giffard, Harford, Kingston, Holbeton, Ermington, Ringmore and Bigbury.(1569AD). J.D.C. Sullock, Stockton, Cleveland (n.d.) 9p.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 12 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|