A parish in Witheridge Hundred, within the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple but under the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Exeter.
"BISHOP'S NYMPTON, a large village, on a pleasant declivity, 3 miles E.S.E. of South Molton, has in its parish 1325 inhabitants, and 9579 acres of land, skirted on the west by the river Mole, and intersected by several tributary streams. This large parish is hilly and fertile, and comprises many scattered farm houses, and the hamlets of Ash-Mill, 1½ mile E.; Newton, 1 mile N.; and Bishop's Mill, or Bish Mill, 1½ mile S.E. of the village. . . . The soil is held by numerous free and copy-holders, the largest of whom are the Rev. W. Karslake, Rev. W. Thorne, Sir R.G. Throgmorton, Rev. P. Johnson, H. Bawden, Esq., Rev. J. Bawden, Rd. Preston, Esq., and Messrs. S.W. Yeo, T. Loveband, S. Passmore, and Alex Fisher. Mole Mills, formerly employed as a woollen factory, are now unoccupied. . . . The Church is a fine old structure, with a lofty and elegant tower, containing six bells. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Painter, Desmond. A Black Passmore Sheep, Devon Family Historian, vol. 137, (2011) pp.4-6. [Herbert Edmund Passmore, b. 1870]
A transcription of the Memorial Inscriptions for the Church of St Mary is held in the Society of Genealogist's Library, in Vol. 8 of Devon Memorial inscriptions (DE/M23).
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]
Tablets in Old Chapel, transcribed by Brad Rogers.
Rev Christopher Stuart Tull (ed.) Bishopsnympton Church & People (Revised and Fourth Edition). The Parish of Bishopsnympton in the Oakmoor Group of Parishes (undated). [Index]
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1556 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):
Granville, Roger & Mugford, W.E. (eds.) Bishops Nympton, 1607-1614 and 1633. Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644, and short notes on the extant pre-reformation registers of all the parishes in the county, from particulars furnished by the several incumbents thereof. Vol. 1 A-Bra. Exeter: W. Pollard (1908). [Full text]
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Elizabeth Kipp, who invites queries and lookup requests. (Resources: Pigot's 1830; PRs; 1841-1901 censuses; 1641-2 Protestation Return; Hearth Tax 1674; Taxes 1581-1660 Stoate; Devon Wills (Worthy); Lay Subsidy Rolls.)
Tull, Christopher S. Bishopsnympton: church and people. - 2nd rev. ed. Bishopsnympton]: [C.Tull] (1979) 38p: ill.
Bishops Nympton Parish Council 1895-1995: centenary commemorative booklet: the village then and now, Tiverton, (1995) 84p, plates: ill, map. [Westcountry Studies Library: sB/BIS 3/1895/BIS]
A note on some Passmore Farms in North Molton, Bishop's Nympton and Twitchen, by Desmond Painter.
Bargain and Sale (1570), Bargain and Sale Endorsement (1570), Final Concord Greenslade to Phelps (1776), Final Concord Passmore to Bryan (1776), Mortgage (1776), Conveyance (1778), Conveyance Recitals (1874) concerning Aller and Pollington in Bishops Nympton, provided by Desmond Painter.
Bishop's Nympton contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Ryall, David. Lest We Forget, War memorials around South Molton. South Molton Archive, 68pp. [ISBN 0 951236 1 4] [Provides an indexed list of names]
Chanter, J. Frederick. Chappyngtons, the South Molton organ builders, Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries, vol. 6, no. 3, (1910) pp.85-86. [John Loosemore, 1633-1681]
Chope, R. Pearse. Chappyngtons, the South Molton organ builders, Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries, vol. 6, no. 3, (1910) pp.86-87 [John Loosemore, 1633-1681]
Extracts from 18th and 19th Century newspapers, relating to Bishop's Nympton, provided by Lindsey Withers.
Will of William Greenslade (1799) of Porlock (Somerset), but concerning property in Brendon and Bishops Nympton, transcribed by Desmond Painter.
Will of William Pincombe (1839), John Rew (1848) transcribed by Elizabeth Kipp.
South Molton and District Archive Local History Society web-site (archived copy) - provides details of archive holdings for the twenty-eight parishes in what used to be the South Molton Rural District, lists of publications, etc.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 8 Apr 2012 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|