A parish in Exminster Hundred, a Peculiar jursidiction of the Bishop of Exeter. Luton hamlet was created a modern parish in 1866.
"BISHOP'S TEIGNTON, a long straggling village and parish, on the north side of the estuary of the river Teign, two miles W. of Teignmouth, and four miles E.N.E. of Newton-Abbot, has 992 inhabitants and 4075A. 3R. 20P. of land, including the hamlets of Luton and Coombe; many scattered farm houses, and several neat villas, commanding delightful views of the Teign, and its opposite banks, down to the sea coast. The Rev. John Comyns, M.A., who has been patron and incumbent of the vicarage since 1801, and also impropriator of the great tithes, owns a great part of the parish, and is lord of the manors of Bishop's Teignton and Radway. . . . Lord Clifford is lord of the manor of Luton; and that of Lindridge is held by the Rev. Jas. A. Templer, in trust for his son. . . . The Church (St. John,) is an ancient fabric, with a tower containing six bells, and crowned by a shingled spire. It has several neat monuments. . . . The Wesleyans have a meeting room here, and the Bible Christians occupy a chapel, formerly belonging to Baptists. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Cresswell, B.F. Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon, (1912) pp. 34-37. [Extracts]
Whitmore, J.B. Devonshire Monumental Inscriptions, MS at Society of Genealogists (1951). [Extracts]
Bishopsteignton - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
James, Gillian M. A journey of faith: some research into the Methodists of Bishopsteignton, Teignmouth, The Author (1998) p: ill, maps, ports. [Westcountry Studies Library: p287.1/BIS/JAM]
Johnston, Philip Mainwaring. Bishopsteignton Church, British Arch. Assoc. Jnl., (1927)
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
Baptisms 1559-1812, marriages 1559-1755, burials 1558-1810, Bishopsteignton, Typescript ([1986?]) 1 vol. [Westcountry Studies Library: sx929.3/BIS/1558]
Conservation Area Appraisal for Bishopsteignton - an interesting account of the area, with numerous photographs and maps.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerks for this parish are Jean & Mike Edwards, who invite queries and lookup requests. (Resources: Bapt 1558-1925; Marr 1558-1837; Banns 1754-1812; Bur 1558-1863.)
This parish is one of the growing number of places for which the Devon Heritage website provides census or parish register transcriptions, articles, and/or illustrations, etc.
Cleland, W.D., (Ed.). Bishopsteignton, South Devon: a short history and guide, London, F.E.Dale & Son (1935?) 39p: ill. [Westcountry Studies Library: sB/BIS 7/1935/BIS]
Gourd, Philip. About Bishopsteignton: short history, personal reminiscences and memories, local tales, anecdotes, [Bishopsteignton], P. Gourd (1993) , 70, p: ill. [Westcountry Studies Library: pB/BIS 7/0001/GOU]
Hall, John J. Bishopsteignton: Its scenic attractions, antiquities and historical associations. (1931) [Westcountry Studies Library, Devon & Exeter Inst.]
Jordan, W.F.C. A further sketch of Bishop's Teignton, Trans. Devon. Assoc., vol. 42, (1910) pp.503-511. [Index]
Jordan, Mary Hall. Notes on Venn in the parish of Bishop's Teignton, Trans. Devon. Assoc., vol. 42, (1910) pp.512-516. [Index]Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 18 Nov 2012 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|