"A small village 1½ miles SE of Lynton & 15 miles W of Minehead is in a picturesque valley of the river Lyn, has in its parish 271 souls & 6733 acres of land including Leeford hamlet & a large tract of moorland on the borders of Somersetshire where the rivers Exe, Lyn and Barle have their sources. F. W. Knight Esq. is the Lord of the mannor owner of most of the soil, and patron of the rectory ... valued in 1831 at £148. The Rev. T. Roe of Oare, Somerset is the incumbent, and has 57a, 2r, 22p, of glebe. The parsonage is a small cottage, and the church [St. Brendon] is an ancient structure with a tower and 4 bells." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Shirlwell Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and Diocese of Exeter, 15½ miles E. of Ilfracombe, which had 259 inhabitants in 1831.
Dwelly, E. (ed.). Devon M. I. vol. 1., being all the monumental inscriptions in the parishes of Countisbury, Brendon, Martinhoe, etc. pp. v. 226. E. Dwelly: Fleet, (1918). 8o. BL 9918.aaa.1. [SoG Library]
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1881 census records for this parish]
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1610 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1610-1850 and Marriages 1612-1646, 1683-1850.
Baptisms from Bishops Transcripts: Brendon 1813-1839. [Devon]: Devon Family History Society (2013).
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Brendon from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Chanter, J.F. The hermits and early history of Badgeworthy. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 8:3, (1914) pp.77-81. [From charters in Buckland cartulary.]
Brendon contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Will of William Greenslade (1799) of Porlock (Somerset), but concerning property in Brendon and Bishops Nympton, transcribed by Desmond Painter.
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 13 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|