|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"BRIDFORD is a village and parish, 9 miles S.W. by W. of Exeter, and 4 miles E. of Moreton Hampstead. It contains 560 souls, and 4090 acres of fertile land. The river Teign bounds the parish on the north and east, and has here two corn mills. Sir L.V. Palk is lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to the Northcote and other families. It was held in demense by Joel de Totneis, at Domesday Survey, and afterwards passed to the Valletort, Champernowne, Leach, and other families. The ancient lords had the power of inflicting capital punishment. Lapflode estate was anciently held by a family of its own name. The Church (St. Thomas a Beckett,) is an ancient fabric, and its register commences in 1538, and contains notices of the insurrection in Devon and Cornwall in 1549." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Bridford parish is in Wonford Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter. Regarded by some as part of the Dartmoor area.
George, Ivan. Francis Samuel Guy, Devon Family Historian, no. 100, (Nov 2001) pp.8-9. [Emigrant to New Zealand in 1877]
Cresswell, B.F. Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon, (1912). [Extracts]
Dwelly, E. (ed.). Devon M. I. vol. 1., being all the monumental inscriptions in the parishes of Countisbury, Brendon, Martinhoe, etc. pp. v. 226. E. Dwelly: Fleet, (1918). 8o. BL 9918.aaa.1. [SoG Library]
Bridford - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Waterfield, R. Some Notes on the Rectors of Bridford. Devonian Year Book (1947) pp.44-51.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1538 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1800-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1538-1837, and Marriages 1589-1837.
The Deanery of Dunsford: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Ashton, Bridford, Chagford, Cheriton Bishop, Christow, Doddiscombsleigh, Drewsteignton, Dunsford, Gidleigh, Hittisleigh, Holcombe Burnell, South Tawton, Spreyton, Tedburn St. Mary, Throwleigh and Whitestone. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Ashton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1740-1837; Bridford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Chagford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Cheriton Bishop Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1841, Bur: 1813-1837; Christow Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1757-1844, Bur: 1813-1837; Doddiscombsleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1780-1837; Drewsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Dunsford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Gidleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1748-1812 (BT's), Mar: 1814-1837, Bur: 1813-1884; Hittisleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Holcombe Burnell Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1753-1837; South Tawton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Spreyton Bapt: 1803-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Tedburn St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Throwleigh Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Whitestone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Bridford Village website - provided by the Parish Council.
Copy provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Bridford from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Amer, Florence Mary. The childhood of a Devon Maid. Moretonhampstead Loc. Hist. Soc. (1995) 26p. [Childhood reminiscences. 1900-1918]
Carrington, Robert Palk. Parochiales Bridfordii: a Devonshire village in olden times. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 68, (1936) pp.331-350. [Edited by E.H.Gotto.]
Gotto, E. H. (ed.). Parochiales Bridfordii: a Devon village in olden times - from the ms of Robert Palk Carrington. Dev. Assoc. Trans (1935) pp.331-350.
Schmitz, Christopher J. The early growth of the Devon barytes industry, 1835-1875. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 106, (1974) pp.59-76.
Schmitz, Christopher J. The development and decline of the Devon barytes industry, 1875- 1958. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 109, (1977) pp.117-133: map.
Waterfield, R. The Parochial History of Bridford. (Notebooks and Typescript). (c1954) 200p. [Westcountry Studies Library - B/BRI 3/0001/WAT]
Bridford contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Lega-Weekes, Ethel. A seventeenth-century tanner's inventory. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 4:4, (1906) pp.123. [Goods of Philibert Cogan, Daniel Ivie, John Tucker, Wm Bolitho.] [Index]
Teign Valley History group - Honorary Secretary: Graham ThompsonFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 13 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|