GENUKI Home page up Devon ContentsContents & Search Nearby Places Nearby Places upGeneral information
 
 

BRIXTON

Map of the area
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
"BRIXTON, a pleasant village, 4½ miles E. of Plymouth, has in its parish 822 souls, and 2865 acres of fertile land, bounded on the south-east by the Yealm estuary, and including the small hamlets of Spriddleston, Hareston, Winston, and Coombe. The manor of Brixton, anciently called Britricheston, was long held by a family of its own name, but was dismembered many years ago. T.W. Parrott, Esq., is lord of the manor of Hareston, which he derived from the Winters. This manor was successively held by the Reynald, Hareston, Silverlock, and Wood families. . . . Mr. Elliott is lord of the manor of Spriddleston, which has been held successively by the Spriddle, Fortescue, Lane, and other families. E.R.P. Bastard and Sir T.T.F.E. Drake own a great part of the parish, the former having Wollaton, and the latter the Sherford estate. The Church has a lofty tower and five bells, and is an ancient structure in the decorated style. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Plympton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.

General information:

Biography

Williams, Daphne L. and Ann Evans. Kept in Memory. Brixton (1997). [Biog. notes on those listed on the War Memorial - available from Ann Evans, 2 Horn Lane, Brixton, Plymouth PL8 2AB]

Cemeteries

MIs for this parish are included in the Devon FHS index - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.

A transcription of the Memorial Inscriptions for the Church of St Mary is held in the Society of Genealogist's Library, in Vol. 8 of Devon Memorial inscriptions (DE/M23).

Jewers. Arthur J. Brixton Church. Western Antiquary 10, 3-4 (1890) pp.27-29, 59-64, 96-101.

Church History

Wilson, Francis Rought. The History of St Mary's Church, Brixton, South Devon. London: SPCK (1926) 53p,plates: ill.

Church Records

Parish Registers going back to 1668 are held in the Devon Record Office - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon Record Office.

The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1828 - for details see their book list.

Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).

An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the Deanery of Plympton. with photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850 and The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2007). [Brixton: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Cornwood: Bapt (1813-1840), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1838), Ermington: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1838), Bur (1813-1837 ), Harford: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1755-1837), Bur (1813-1838), Holbeton: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Ivybridge: Bapt (1835-1840), Mar (1835-1840), Bur (1836-1840), Kingston: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1836), Bur (1813-1837), Modbury: Bapt (1813-1840), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Newton Ferrers: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1836), Bur (1813-1837)), North Huish: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Plympton St. Mary: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Plympton St. Maurice: Bapt (1813-1840), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Plymstock: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Revelstoke: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Shaugh Prior: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1835), Ugborough: Bapt (1813-1840), Mar (1754-1841), Bur (1813-1837), Wembury: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1612-1837), Bur (1813-1840), Yealmpton: Bapt (1813-1840), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837)]

Directories

Transcription of the entry in White's Devonshire Directory (1850) by Terry Partridge.

Transcription provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

Genealogy

Mugford, W.E. Tristram Coffin of Brixton, Devon, Devon Notes and Queries 2, 1902-3, pp. 142-4. [17th c. pedigree.] [Index]
Prideaux, F.B. An ancient Fulford deed. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 12:7, (1923) pp.299. [Refers to vol.12, p.113.] [Sprydel Family]

History

Clamp, Arthur L. Some bygone scenes of Brixton & its people. Plymouth: P D S Printers (1990) 32p: ill,maps.
Lane, Richard. A history of the parish of Brixton. MSS. (1880?) 274p. [Westcountry Studies Library - sB/BRI 9/0001/LAN]
Rowe, J. Brooking. Brixton: extracts from deeds, parish registers, pedigrees etc. Manuscript (1875?) 1 vol. [Westcountry Studies Library - sB/BRI 9/0001/ROW

Occupations

Chiswell, Ann. Brixton apprenticeship records. Plymouth: The Author (1988) [1], 4, 4p. [Plymouth Library - 965BRI]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Last updated: 17 Jun 2013 - Brian Randell

Return to top of page
Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.