GENUKI Home page up Brixton Contents Contents & Search

 
 

BRIXTON

Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

BRIXTON, a pleasant village, 4½ miles E. of Plymouth, has in its parish 822 souls, and 2865 acres of fertile land, bounded on the south-east by the Yealm estuary, and including the small hamlets of Spriddleston, Hareston, Winston, and Coombe. The manor of Brixton, anciently called Briticheston, was long held by a family of its own name, but after passing to various other families, it was dismembered many years ago. T. W. Parrott, Esq., is lord of the manor of Hareston, which he derived from the Winters. This manor was successively held by the Reynald, Hareston, Silverlock, and Wood families; the latter of whom resided for many generations in the old mansion, which was built in the reign of Henry VII., and was partly destroyed by fire in the last century. The remains of this ancient building are still preserved. Mr. Elliott is lord of the manor of Spriddleston, which has been held succesively by the Spriddle, Fortescue, Lane, and other families. E. R. P. Bastard and Sir T. T. F. E. Drake own a great part of the parish, the former having Wollaton, and the latter the Sherford estate. The Church has a lofty tower and five bells, and is an ancient structure in the decorated style. It was appropriated to Plympton Priory. The perpetual curacy, valued at £107, is in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, and incumbency of the Rev. Richard Lane, who has neither parsonage nor glebe. The tithes belong to Henry Collins-Splatt, Esq., and were commuted in 1839, for £640. They were sold by the patrons in 1800. The benefice is endowed with a farm of 37A. 3R. 5P., at Modbury, purchased with £400 left by Elize Hele, in 1658. The parish has three tenements, occupied rent free by poor people;and ten cottages with gardens, &c., purchased with the poor's money, in 1594 and 1596. Belonging to the same charity are £250 three per cent. consols, which arose from fines paid by the lessees. The clear yearly income, about £30, is distributed in clothing among the poor, about Christmas. Half an acre of play ground, called the Parish Park, was planted with elms by Edward Fortescue, Esq., in 1677.

DIRECTORY

Marked 2, are at Hareston; and 3, at Spriddlestone.

Binnear Mr Thos.
Cane Benjamin, wheelwright
Cawse Wm. tailor, and Mr John
Collins-Splatt Henry, Esq Brixton House and Exeter
Harvey Mrs
Hubber James, vict. Foxhound
Jones David, vict. Red Lion
Kendell Philip, miller, Coffleet
Kitt Henry, basket maker, Coombe
Lane Rev Rd. incumbt. Coffleet
Lavers Wm. corn miller
Parrott Thos. Winter, Esq. Hareston
Stoyles John, timber dealer
Symons Hy. land survyr. Whifferton
Veale Joseph, butcher
Yonge Captain Edmund, R.N.
Yabsley John, thatcher

BOOT & SHOE MKS.

Toop Jonathan
Wright John
Wright Robert

CARPENTERS.

Cawse Thomas
2 Fisher Wm.
Pearse John

FARMERS. (* are owners)

3 Avent Richard

3 Beer Wm.
3 Button Thos.
Butland Edward
* Cane Joseph
Chaffe Richard
Cockrem John, Wollaton
Cook James
Ford Richard
Hard Jno. Combe
Lavers Chpr.
Mullins James
2 Parsons Lewis
Pepperell Wm.
3 Pursley James
Revell Joan
* Rowe Benjamin
* Rowe Henry
* Scoble Richard, Chittleburn
Scoble Robert
2 Scoble John
Wright Joseph

MASONS, &c.

Rowse James
Rowse Samuel

SHOPKEEPERS.

Cawse Rebecca
Scoble Walter
Wotton James



Last updated 12 Feb 2006 - Brian Randell.

Return to top of page
Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.