|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"CHERITON-BISHOP, or South Cheriton, a village on the Okehampton road, 9½ miles W. of Exeter, and 6 miles S.W. of Crediton, has in its parish 848 souls, and about 5000 acres of land, of which 4719 acres are rateable. The gross rental is £1397. The parish has many scattered houses, and includes the hamlet of Cheriton Cross, and part of the village of CROCKERNWELL, which is partly in Drewsteignton parish, and gives name to a division for which petty sessions are held at the Royal Hotel, on the first Monday of every month. The Bishops of Exeter were formerly lords of Cheriton, but the manor was alienated in the reign of Henry VIII. Baldwin Fulford, Esq., is now lord of the manors of Eggbeare and Lampford, which have been long held by his family, but a great part of the parish belongs to Dr. Pennell, the Rev. Wm. Ponsford, George Ponsford, Esq., Wm. Lambert, Esq., and many smaller freeholders. Medland was a seat of the Foulkes family, but the estate was sold in parcels some years ago. The parish Church (St. Mary,) has a tower and six bells, and contains some monuments of the Davy family." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Cheriton Bishop parish is in Wonford Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.
Cresswell, B.F. Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon, (1912). [Extracts]
Whitmore, J.B. Devonshire Monumental Inscriptions, MS at Society of Genealogists (1951). [Extracts]
Williams, John. Monumental Inscriptions: West Down Evangelical Church (Plymouth Brethren) cemetery, Typescript (2012) 2 pp. [DFHS Library - Cheriton Bishop parish file]
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1881 census records for this parish]
Cheriton Bishop - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
The church of Saint Mary the Virgin, Cheriton Bishop. [Cheriton Bishop?]: [Church?] [1968?] 4p. [Westcountry Studies Library - p726.5/CHE/CHU]
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1840, Marriages 1754-1841, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
The Deanery of Dunsford: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Ashton, Bridford, Chagford, Cheriton Bishop, Christow, Doddiscombsleigh, Drewsteignton, Dunsford, Gidleigh, Hittisleigh, Holcombe Burnell, South Tawton, Spreyton, Tedburn St. Mary, Throwleigh and Whitestone. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Ashton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1740-1837; Bridford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Chagford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Cheriton Bishop Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1841, Bur: 1813-1837; Christow Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1757-1844, Bur: 1813-1837; Doddiscombsleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1780-1837; Drewsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Dunsford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Gidleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1748-1812 (BT's), Mar: 1814-1837, Bur: 1813-1884; Hittisleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Holcombe Burnell Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1753-1837; South Tawton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Spreyton Bapt: 1803-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Tedburn St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Throwleigh Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Whitestone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Conservation Area Appraisal for Crockernwell - an interesting account of the area, with numerous photographs and maps.
Richardson, Richard. Portrait of a village - Cheriton Bishop. Devon Life vol. 6 no. 51 (1970) pp.32-34; ill.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Daniel Morgan, who invites queries and lookup requests.
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Cheriton Bishop from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Cheriton Bishop Womens' Institute. Looking Back at Cheriton Bishop, [Devon FHS Library p942.35/CHE] (1982).
Chesher, Veronica. The Glebe Terrier of Cheriton Bishop, 1680. In Devon Documents (ed. T. Gray). Tiverton: Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries, Special Issue (1996) [ISBN 0925836203] pp.41-49.
Transcription, by Fay Sampson Priestley, of a Rent Book for the Fulford Estate, including the Manors of Melhuish, Lampford, and Eggbear. (The original document is in private hands.)
Chief Rents And Properties in the Manors of Spreyton, Lamford (Cheriton Bishop) and Fursham (Drewsteignton), 1800 and 1859, transcribed by Sophia Lambert.
Cheriton Bishop contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Protestation Return for 1641, provided by Devon Heritage.
Table of Family Names in Cheriton Bishop, provided by Sophia Lambert.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 9 Nov 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|