GENUKI Home page up Devon up Somerset ContentsContents & Search Nearby Places Nearby Places upGeneral information
 
 

CHURCHSTANTON

Map of the area
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
"CHURCH-STANTON, or Church-Staunton, a scattered village, on an eminence near the Black Down Hills, and the borders of Somersetshire, and the sources of the river Culm, 10 miles N. by E. of Honiton, and 8 miles S. of Taunton, has in its parish 1086 inhabitants, and 4980 acres of freehold land. The village is in four portions called Churchinford, Stapley, Red Lane, and Burnworthy. . . . Messrs. Bush are lords of the manor, but the greater part of the soil belongs to Wm. Beadon, Jun., Esq., Capt. White, the Earl of Devon, Mr. Richd. Blackmore, Mr. Henry Smith, and several smaller freeholders. Roystone House is the pleasant seat of Capt. John White. The manor anciently belonged to the Tudenham family, and afterwards to the Damarell, Bonville, Clifton, Clarke, Popham and Southwood families. . . . The Church (St. Paul,) is a fine Gothic structure, with a tower and five bells. . . . In the parish are two chapels, belonging to the Baptists and the Wesleyans. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]

Churchstanton transferred from Devon to Somerset and from the diocese of Exeter to that of Bath & Wells in 1896.


General information:

Archives and Libraries

Details of Somerset Record Office holdings relating to this parish.

Church Records

No parish registers at the Devon Record Office (as of June 1997.)

The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.

Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).

Transcriptions from the records of Churchstanton, St Peter & St Paul provided by Roy Parkhouse.

The Deanery of Dunkeswell, CD012, Devon Family History Society, Exeter (2007). [Contains indexes: Awliscombe - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Churchstanton - Baptisms 1813-1837, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1839; Clayhidon - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Combe Raleigh - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Dunkeswell - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1800-1837; Hemyock - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1635-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Luppitt - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1838, Burials 1813-1837; Sheldon - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1755-1836, Burials 1770-1837; Upottery - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Yarcombe - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837.]

Description and Travel

Taylor, Anthony. Culm Valley Album, Bradninch, A. Taylor (1987) 191 pp. [Illustrations: 1880-1987] [Westcountry Studies Library xB/CUL 1/1880/TAY]

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

History

Thorne, Robert Linham. The history of the Culme valley and its villages: Hemyock, Culmstock, Clayhidon, Dunkeswell, Churchstanton, Uffculme, Wellington, R.L. Thorne (1951) 26 pp. [Westcountry Studies Library DEV/0001/THO]

Maps

The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Record Office.

Names, Personal

Churchstanton contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Cullompton Register of Bastardy Applications 1850-1859, Exeter, Devon FHS (2004). [Includes parishes of Burlescombe, Churchstanton, Cullompton, Halberton, Kentisbeare, Silverton, Thorverton and Uffculme.] [Foreword] [Names included in the overall index published as "Rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief" (CD 023).

Population

Recorded at the end of the baptisms for 1821 (Somerset Record Office fiche reference M861/1 D/P/chu 2/1/7):
"Be it remembered that on the 20th day of May 1821 there were in this parish 177 houses inhabited by 419(?) children(?) and 243 males and 193 females making in the whole 862."

Probate Records

Orme, Nicholas. Three Early Devon Wills. In Devon Documents (ed. T. Gray). Tiverton: Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries, Special Issue (1996) [ISBN 0925836203] pp.136-141. [Re: John Ufflete, Woolfardisworthy East, 1416; John Shute, Ashreigny, 1437; William Richards, Churchstanton, 1532]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Last updated: 5 Sep 2012 - Brian Randell

Return to top of page
Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.