A parish in Axminster Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.
"COMB PYNE, or Coompyne, a small village and parish, 3 miles W. of Lyme Regis, and 4½ miles S. of Axminster, has only 143 inhabitants, and 796 acres of land. H. Knight, Esq., is owner of nearly all the soil, lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £8. 11. 8d., and in 1831 at £127. The Rev. Z.J. Edwards, M.A., of Axminster, is the present rector, and has about 30 acres of glebe. The parsonage is a small cottage. The tithes were commuted, in 1845, for £120 per annum. The Church (St. Mary,) is an interesting little structure, with some very ancient communion plate. The manor was long held by the Coffin and Pyne families, and afterwards by the Bonvilles, Greys, and Petres. Directory :- James Loveridge, blacksmith; Thos. Snell, parish clerk; Fras. Symes, tailor; and Robert Bentley, Thos. Marshall, and John Morey, farmers." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Matthews, A.W. Ye Old Mortality. vol. 8 (1909) pp. 868-893. [MS, Society of Genealogists]
Barton, Cecil E. A short account of the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Combe Pyne: its structure, plate and bells, with a list of the rectors. [Combpyne?]: [The Church?] [1907?] 8p: ill. [Westcountry Studies Library - p726.5/COM/BAR]
The church of St. Mary the Virgin, Combpyne with Rousdon. [Combpyne?]: [The Church?] [1982?] 6p. [Westcountry Studies Library - p726.5/COM/CHU]
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1685 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1796-1847 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1685-1837, and Marriages 1690-1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
Digitised 1840 tithe maps, including one of this parish, are available on the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Partnership's website.
Combpyne contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 1 Oct 2011 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|