|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"A small village on the coast of the Bristol Channel, near the borders of Somersetshire, 2 miles E of Lynton & 14 miles West of Minehead, has in its parish 185 souls & 2941 acres of land including WILSHAM hamlet, & part of LYNMOUTH. The Rev. W. S . Halliday is lord of the Manor & owner of a great part of the soil, & has a pleasant seat called "Glynthorn" ... facing the sea. "East Lynmouth House" belongs to the Rev. Thomas Roe & a few smaller owners have estates in the parish. The Church (St. John) was repaired & the tower rebuilt about 14 years ago, when a school was built near it." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Shirlwell Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and Diocese of Exeter, 15½ miles N.E. of Ilfracombe, which had 187 inhabitants in 1831. According to Peskett, it was united to (but with separate registers from) Lynton before 1858, and Lynmouth chapel was annexed to it in 1886.
Dwelly, E. (ed.). Devon M. I. vol. 1., being all the monumental inscriptions in the parishes of Countisbury, Brendon, Martinhoe, etc. E. Dwelly: Fleet, (1918). pp. v. 226. BL 9918.aaa.1. [SoG Library]
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1881 census records for this parish]
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1676 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1676-1850 and Marriages 1676-1850.
Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts). "Marriages at Countisbury, 1676-1757", In Devonshire parish registers, vol. 1. London: Phillimore & Co., 1909 (Phillimore's parish register series, vol. 112), pp. 57-62. [Full text]
Day, Fred. Parish accounts. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 9:8, (1917) pp.247.
An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Arlington, Ashford, Berrynarbor, Bittadon, Bratton Fleming, Braunton, Brendon, Challacombe, Charles, Combe Martin, Countisbury, East Buckland, East Down, Georgeham, Goodleigh, Heanton Punchardon, High Bray, Ilfracombe, Kentisbury, Loxhore, Lynton, Martinhoe, Marwood, Mortehoe, Parracombe, Shirwell, Stoke Rivers, Trentishoe, West Buckland and West Down. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850) and Kelly's Directory of Devonshire (1902), CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2015). [Arlington Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1814-1837; Ashford Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1747-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Berrynarbor Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Bittadon Bapt: 1813-1843, Mar: 1754-1835, Bur: 1815-1843; Bratton Fleming Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Braunton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Brendon Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Challacombe Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1822-1848; Charles Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Combe Martin Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Countisbury Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Buckland Bapt: 1813-1838, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1813-1839; East Down Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1839, Bur: 1813-1852; Georgeham Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Goodleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Heanton Punchardon Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; High Bray Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1756-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Ilfracombe Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Kentisbury Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1841, Bur: 1813-1837; Loxhore Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Lynton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1838; Martinhoe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Marwood Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Mortehoe Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1750-1837; Parracombe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1598-1838, Bur: 1813-1838; Shirwell Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Stoke Rivers Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Trentishoe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; West Buckland Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1851; West Down Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1840.]
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
Lynmouth is one of the growing number of places for which the Devon Heritage website provides census or parish register transcriptions, articles, and/or illustrations, etc.
Halliday, U. Glenthorne - A Most Romantic Place, Dulverton, Somerset, Exmoor Books (1995) [ISBN NO - 0 86183 285 X] [Glenthorne house and the Halliday family]
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Countisbury from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Chanter, John F. The parishes of Lynton and Countisbury. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 38, (1906), plates: illus, maps, pp. 114-168, 169-224. [Index to Part 1, Index to Part 2]
Chanter, J.F. On Certain Documents Relating to the History of Lynton and Countisbury. Trans. Devon Assoc. 38 (1906) pp.225-254.
Chanter, John F. The History of the Parishes of Lynton and Countisbury, their antiquities, manors, churches and families, and some account of the natural history and botany of the neighbourhood. J. G. Commin: Exeter, (1907). 192p, plates: ill, maps. BL 010358.k.19. [LDS film 1426109 Item 8] [Contains genealogies of Barbor; Wichehalse; Welsh; Dart; Salisbury; Venner; Lovering; Rolle; Acland; Popham; Berry and Knight families]
The Lyn Journal: a chronological record of the events which occurred in the parishes of Lynton, Lynmouth and Countisbury. Photocopy (1956) 2 vols. [Westcountry Studies Library - xB/LYN 3/0001/LYN]
Halliday, Ursula J. Glenthorne: a most remarkable place. Dulverton: Exmoor Books (1995) 174p,plts: ill,ports.
Countisbury contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 7 Oct 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|