GENUKI Home page up Cruwys Morchard Contents Contents & Search

 

 

CRUWYS MORCHARD

From

White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

Transcribed by Debbie Kennett

CRUWYS-MORCHARD is a hilly but fertile parish of scattered houses, from 4 to 5 miles W. of Tiverton; containing 670 souls, and 5765 acres of land, including the hamlets of Cotton, Yedbury, and Way. The manor has been held by the Cruwys family since the reign of King John, if not from a much earlier period. The Rev. G. S. Cruwys, M.A., is now lord of the manor, and patron and incumbent of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £21. 11s. 8d., and in 1831 at £501. He resides at his ancient family seat, Cruwys Morchard House, which has lately been enlarged and modernized, and has a tasteful and well wooded park, mostly planted in 1834-5. The glebe is 130 acres, and the tithes were commuted in 1839 for £506 per annum. The Church (Holy Cross,) is an ancient structure, with a massive tower and six bells. A finely carved oak screen divides the nave and chancel. A new road was cut through the parish, and 300 acres of common enclosed, about 12 years ago. The Rev. John Pitman, the Rev. T. A. Melhuish, and several resident freeholders have estates in the parish. Mr. George Ayre owns and occupies West Ruckham, which was for many centuries the residence of the ancient family of Drake. The mansion of this estate has recently been altered and much improved, and is pleasantly situated half a mile north of the church. The National School, built by the rector in 1844, at the cost of £200, is attended by about 40 children. The poor have the following yearly sums, viz., £2 as the interest of £40 lent to the overseers and churchwardens; £1. 15s. 4d. left by Humphrey Brook, in 1670, out of Beere farm, and £1. 15s. 9d. left by Robert Gay, in 1725, out of Lower Yedbury farm. Of the latter, £1 is paid for schooling four poor boys. A poor woman of this parish has 40s. a year from Mrs. Pyncombe's charity. (See Poughill.)

Cruwys Rev G.S., M.A. rector, Cruwys Morchard House
Greenslade Thomas, wheelwright
Hodge John, shopkeeper, Tong
Laurie Rev Rd., B.A. curate, Rectory
Nichols John, wheelwright
Pope Henry, blacksmith
Rookes Geo. vict. Mount Pleasant
Venn Henry, vict. & smith, Cruwys' Arms, Pennymoor
Voysey Wm. corn miller

FARMERS. (* are Owners.)
* Ayre George, West Ruckham
Badcock Geo. || Beedell John
* Beedell Thos. || Bellamy Rt.
Bidgood John || Bird Richard
* Bodley John, Lower Park
Bray John || Elworthy John
Cornwall Fras. ||Cornwall Rd.
Fursden John || Griffin Edward
Hunt Wm. Higher Yedbury
Kelland John, East Ruckham
Kelland Pp. ||* Lake John
* Lake Wm., Edgeworthy
* Meechem Joseph, Moor
Morrish Richd. (parish clerk)

Last updated - Brian Randell, 28 Jul 2003

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.