GENUKI Home page up Cruwys Morchard Contents Contents & Search

 

 

CRUWYS MORCHARD

From

White's Devonshire Directory of 1890

Transcribed by Debbie Kennett

CRUWYS-MORCHARD is a hilly but fertile parish, in Tiverton union, county court district, and petty sessional division, Witheridge hundred, Exeter archdeaconry, and Tiverton East rural deanery. It had 608 inhabitants in 1881, and comprised 5766 acres of land, including the hamlets of Cotton, Yedbury, and Way. The manor has been held by the Cruwys family since the reign of King John, if not from a much earlier period. George James Cruwys, Esq., J.P. is lord of the manor, and resides at his ancient family seat Cruwys-Morchard Court, which was enlarged and modernised about 40 years ago, and has a tasteful and well-wooded park, mostly planted in 1834-5. The Rev. A. H. Cruwys and Messrs. Lake, Strong, Ayre, and Waller have estates in the parish. A new road was cut through the parish, and about 300 acres of common enclosed about 50 years ago.
       The CHURCH (Holy Cross), an ancient structure of Elizabethan date, consists of chancel, nave, south aisle and porch, and square tower, containing six bells. The church was repaired, seated with oak benches, and had six ornamental windows inserted during the incumbency of the late Rev. G. S. Cruwys, by whom the cost was borne. A finely-carved screen divides the nave and chancel. The register dates from 1572. The living, a rectory, valued in K.B. at £21 11s 8d., and now at £600, is in the gift of G. J. Cruwys, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Arthur Henry Cruwys, M.A. The rectory house was built at an expense of £3000 in 1862, by the late Rev. G. S. Cruwys, the then rector. The glebe is 130 acres, and the tithes were commuted in 1839 for £506 a year.
       The INDEPENDENTS have a chapel here. The NATIONAL SCHOOL, built by George James Cruwys, Esq., in 1875, at the cost of £350, is attended by about 40 children. The poor have the following yearly sums, viz., £2 as the interest of £40 lent to the overseers and churchwardens; £1 15s 4d. left by Humphrey Brook, in 1670, out of Beere farm; and £1 15s 9d. left by Robert Gay, in 1725, out of Lower Yedbury farm. Of the latter, £1 is paid for schooling four poor boys. A poor woman of this parish has 40s. a year from Mrs. Pyncombe's charity. (See Poughill.)
       POST OFFICE at Mr. Jabez Wood's. Letters are received at 9 a.m. and despatched at 4.15 p.m., via Tiverton, which is the nearest Money Order Office.

Back John Henry, farmer, Northcott
Backwell Thomas, farmer, Stubborn
Balman Edwd. dairyman, Lower Claw
Beedell Henry, farmer, Ford
Beedell Henry, jun. farmer, Hill
Bending Mark, farmer, Higher Park
Bishop Geo. Gillman, Nat. schlmastr
Bowden Albert, farmer, Chapple
Bowden William, farmer, Higher Claw
Britton Samuel, farmer, Wood place
Bryant John Dairyman, Pennymoor
Barnett William, farmer, Stickridge
Burridge Frederick, dairyman, Lower Langside
Cornwall Henry, farmer, Furze
Cruwys Rev. Arthur Henry, M.A. rector, The Rectory
Cruwys George James, Esq. J.P. Cruwys-Morchard court
Darch Richard, farmer, Lugsland
Davey John, wheelwright
Drake Frederick, dairyman, South Linhays
Frankpitt Richard, farmer, Forke
Fulford Thomas, farmer, Week
Gibbons Frederick, H. farmer, West Ruckham
Greenslade George, victualler and blacksmith, Mount Pleasant Inn
Guscott John, carpenter
Guscott Samuel, carrier, Holmes
Heyluer Robert, dairyman, Kellys
Hill John, farmer, Moor
Howard John, farmer, Depford
Hunt Geo. farmer & mason, Coombe
Hunt Geo. farmer, Lower Vulscombe
Hunt John, farmer, Higher Vulscombe
Kerslake Mrs Mary, farmer, Thongsleigh
Kingdom Abraham, tailor
Lake John, farmer, Edgeworthy
Lake Mrs Marie, farmer, Lithyland
Lake Richard, farmer, Thorne
Maire Mrs Sarah, farmer, Beer
Manley Thos. frmer. Lower Yeadbury
Mitchell Richard, wheelwright, Mount Pleasant
Mitchem Joseph, dairyman, Higher Yeadbury
Nichols John, carpenter, Way village
Nichols William, farmer & carpenter, Wart Ball
Parish Thos. frmer. Merryfield Hayes
Parkhouse Thomas, farmer and road contractor, Sellicks
Phillips George, mason, Way village
Pickering Miss Annie, Pennymoor
Pike George, farmer, Mount Pleasant
Ponsford George, farmer, Down
Pope Mr Richard, Pennymoor
Pope Richard, victualler and blacksmith, Cruwys Arms
Radford Jas. farmer, South East way
Radford William, farmer, Cotton
Rowe William, dairyman, Knapp
Sage Philip, builder, Mudfords
Sharland James, dairyman, Pages
Sharland Thos. dairyman, Yeadbury
Southcott Mrs. Ann, farmer, North Looseland
Stevenson William Thomas, shoemaker, Pennymoor
Stone George, dairyman, Crandle
Strong James, farmer, West Lane
Strong Jas. W. farmer, Little Heath
Sully William, dairyman, Wringsland
Thorne Mr William, Pennymoor
Trude Edward, farmer, Westway
Voysey George, miller and parish clerk, Morchard mill
Waller George, farmer, Hookway
Waller Thomas C. farmer, Coombland
Webber John, farmer, Wringsland
Westron Richard, farmer, Eveleighs
Whitton James, farmer, Middleway
Wood Jabez, postmaster and shoemaker, Pennymoor

Last updated - Brian Randell, 12 Jun 2006

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.