A chapelry of Stockwood. In Fordington Liberty, originally in Dorset, transferred to the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter 1n 1836.
"DALWOOD, a village and parish on the hills, 6 miles E. by N. of Honiton, and 4 miles W.N.W. of Axminster, has 513 souls, and about 1600 acres of land, formerly a detached portion of Dorsetshire, . . . It has a cattle fair on the Wednesday before August 21st. The soil belongs to Sir E.M. Elton, Bart., the Rev. T.F. Dymock, Mr. R.W. Pike, Messrs. White, and several other freeholders. The Church (St. Peter,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells; and the living is a perpetual curacy, consolidated with the vicarage of Stockland. Here is a Baptist chapel and a Sunday school." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Hann, George E. Isaac Hann, Baptist minister. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 35:08, (1985) pp.312-313. [1690-1760]
Transcripts of the Dalwood census (1841-1911) are provided in the Dalwood History website.
Loughwood Meeting House, Dalwood, near Axminster, (n.d.). [S0G Library - DE Tracts]
Transcripts of Dalwood Baptisms (1713-1912), Burials (1813-1912) and Marriages (1716-1912) are provided in the Dalwood History website.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1840, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Bishop's transcripts for Dalwood 1731-1836 are available as LDS microfilm (Film 1279494 Items 10-12) of the original held in Wiltshire County Record Office.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1731-1836, and Marriages 1731-1836. (These entries are based on Bishops' Transcripts.)
Parish Church Marriage and Baptisms for 1731-1836 (BTs) are in the 5-CDROM LDS British Vital Records Index (1538-1888), (Item #50028).
Transcription of Dalwood entry in White's Devonshire Directory of 1850, provided by Sheila Jones.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Alison Highet, who invites queries and lookup requests.
Chapman, G. M. Dalwood: a short history of an East Devon village. Dalwood: G.M. Chapman, 1983, 50 pp. 2 ill., 2 maps ISBN: 0950856800 (pbk). [BL: X.809/63244] [Lookups] [Index]
Morgan, Alison. Dalwood Great War Memorial 1914-1919. Reveille Press (2012) 97pp. [ISBN 978-1-908336-43-9] [Summary]
Digitised 1840 tithe maps, including one of this parish, are available on the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Partnership's website.
Extracts from Return of Owners of Land (1873), provided by Sheila Jones.
Chapman, G.M. A glimpse of medieval Dalwood. Devon Historian 21, (1980) pp.33-37.
Names from Kelly's 1923 Directory, transcribed by Sheila Jones.
Dalwood Apprentices Register - 1804-1827, Exeter, Devon Family History Society, (Booklet & PDF A133). [Foreword]
Dalwood & Stockland wills, from British Record Society Index Library, Vol. 22: Dorset wills & administrations, part 1 and Vol 53: Calendars of wills and administrations relating to the county of Dorset, provided by Jean Harris.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 22 Oct 2012 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|