|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"DIPTFORD, a small village, on rising ground, in the vale of the river Avon, 5½ miles W.S.W. of Totnes, has in its parish 755 souls. and 4144A. 3R. 15P. of land, including many scattered farm-houses, and lying in several manors. The Rev. W.C. Johnson is lord of the manor of Diptford, formerly held by the Boteler, Courtenay, Fitzcourt, Mules, Sture, and Taylor families. . . . The manor of Bendley and the barton of Stert belong to Mr. Henry Weeks, and were long the property and seat of the Heles. Diptford Court is the seat and property of Thos. Butland, Esq.; and J.S. Cornish, Esq., owns Craberton. The Rev. H. Hare has an estate and neat mansion here, called Courtis Knowle . . . . The Robert, Bartlett, Webber, and other families have estates in the parish. One acre belongs to the Queen. The Church (St. Mary,) is an ancient structure, on an eminence near the river, and has a tower containing six bells, and crowned by a handsome broach spire. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £29. 2s. 1d., and in 1831 at £582, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. W.C. Johnson, who has 2A. 3R. of glebe, and a large and handsome residence. . . .." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Coleridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. Avonwick, whose church was built in 1878, is split between the parishes of Diptford, South Brent, North Huish and Ugborough. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.
Transcript by Colin Davis of the 1861 census.
Diptford - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
George, John T. A short historical account of the church of Saint James, Avonwick. (1990) 45p: ill,ports. [Westcountry Studies Library - p726.5/DIP/GEO]
Scott, Christine. Diptford Past, (2014?). [ISBN 978-0-9567784-1-3] [Devon FHS Tree House Library]
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Index to Baptisms (1736-1740), from the Parishes of the South Hams website.
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
McNaught, M. J. (transcr.) Devon Registers Vol 8 - Diptford: CMB (BTs) 1596-1601/2, 1611-16, undated entries, 1633-34/5, 1639, CB 1653-1850, M 1653-1837, banns 1837-50, CMB strays 1596-1850; Halwell: C 1584-89/90, 1595-1850, M 1562-88, 1596?-98?, 1602-80, 1684-1850, B 1560-1850, C strays 1584-1850, MB strays 1560-1850; Harberton: CMB (BTs) 1597-1602, 1608-09, 1611-15/16, 1620-21, C 1624-1850, M 1625-27, 1630, 1633, 1635-36/37, 1639-40, 1648-1850, B 1622-1850, CMB strays 1597-1850. [SoG Library DE/R 117]
The Deanery of Totnes: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials . . . with photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850, CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Ashprington: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Blackawton: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Buckfastleigh: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Cornworthy: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1840), Dartington: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Dartmouth St. Clement: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Dartmouth St. Petrox: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Dartmouth St. Saviour: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Dean Prior: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1755-1837), Bur (1790-1837), Diptford: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Dittisham: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Halwell: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1755-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Harberton: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Holne: Bapt (1813-1842), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Rattery: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1800-1837), South Brent: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Stoke Fleming: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Totnes: Bapt (1813-1842), Mar (1754-1837), Bur: (1813-1837)]
Transcription provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
Lysons, Rev Daniel , AM, FRS, FALS, & Samuel Lysons Esq, FRS, FAS. Magna Britannia: Being a concise topographical account of the several counties of Great Britain. Vol VI, Devonshire. London: Thomas Cadell (1822) [Diptford section].
The Online Parish Clerk for this parish is Gail Pullybank, who invites queries and lookup requests. (Resources: PRs on Fiche.)
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Diptford from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Transcript of the will of John Pinhey (1849) by Frances MacKellar.
The South Hams Genealogical Information Resource website offers lookups in their records concerning this parish.
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated - 14 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|