A parish in Exminster Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.
"DODDISCOMBLEIGH, a scattered village and parish, on bold acclivities near the sources of a rivulet, 6 miles S.. of Exeter, contains 378 souls, and 2391A. 3R. 3P. of land, including the hamlets of Lowleigh and Leigh-Cross. The manor was anciently held by the Doddiscombes, and was divided amongst their co-heiresses in the reign of Edward III. The parish now belongs to the Palk, Rodd, Buckingham, Pitman, Archer, and other families. The Town or Manor House, built in 1604, is the pleasant seat of E.G. Rodd, Esq. The Church (St. Michael,) is a fine old structure, with much stained glass in its windows, and an embattled tower, containing three bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at $16. 6s. 5½d., and in 1831 at £312, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. James Buckingham, B.C.L., who has 112A. of glebe, and a handsome residence, which was much improved in 1845, and has a finely wooded lawn of nine acres. There was anciently a small chapel at Sheldon. A Clothing Club was established here in 1843, and a Lending Library in 1846. . . . Manganese was formerly got in this parish, but the mine was closed some years ago.." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Cresswell, B.F. Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon, (1912). [Extracts]
Dwelly, E. (ed.). Devon M. I. vol. 1., being all the monumental inscriptions in the parishes of Countisbury, Brendon, Martinhoe, etc. pp. v. 226. E. Dwelly: Fleet, (1918). 8o. BL 9918.aaa.1. [SoG Library]
Doddiscombsleigh Census - 1811, Exeter, Devon Family History Society, (Booklet & PDF D052). [Foreword]
Doddiscombesleigh - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1840, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1780-1837 - for details see their book list.
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
Burials 1837 - 1857, 1858 - 1877, 1878 - 1897 and 1898 - 1917, provided by Devon Heritage.
The Deanery of Dunsford: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Ashton, Bridford, Chagford, Cheriton Bishop, Christow, Doddiscombsleigh, Drewsteignton, Dunsford, Gidleigh, Hittisleigh, Holcombe Burnell, South Tawton, Spreyton, Tedburn St. Mary, Throwleigh and Whitestone. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Ashton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1740-1837; Bridford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Chagford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Cheriton Bishop Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1841, Bur: 1813-1837; Christow Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1757-1844, Bur: 1813-1837; Doddiscombsleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1780-1837; Drewsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Dunsford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Gidleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1748-1812 (BT's), Mar: 1814-1837, Bur: 1813-1884; Hittisleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Holcombe Burnell Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1753-1837; South Tawton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Spreyton Bapt: 1803-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Tedburn St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Throwleigh Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Whitestone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Conservation Area Appraisal for Doddiscombesleigh - an interesting account of the area, with numerous photographs and maps.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk for this parish is Thomas Peeke, who invites queries and lookup requests.
This parish is one of the growing number of places for which the Devon Heritage website provides census or parish register transcriptions, articles, and/or illustrations, etc.
Jean, P. Dingle Family of Doddiscombsleigh and Dunsford, (2002). [Devon FHS Library p929.2/DIN]
Buckingham, F.F. Doddiscombleigh: A short history of the parish, incumbents, church and stained glass windows. Yeovil: Western Gazette. (1927?) 19p: ill. [Westcountry Studies Library, - s726.5/DOD/BUC]
Doddiscombsleigh contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Teign Valley History group - Honorary Secretary: Graham ThompsonFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 3 Oct 2012 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|