A parish in South Molton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
"ANSTEY, (EAST) is a small scattered village, among the high hills, near the borders of Somersetshire, 3½ miles W.S.W. of Dulverton, and 10 miles E. of South Molton. Its parish contains 240 souls, and 3245 acres of land, but only 2500 acres are tithable, and the greater part of the remainder is open moorland and plantations. The manor was dismembered many years ago, and the soil belongs to the Rev. John Froude, J.G. Pearse, A. Smith, T. Hole, J.H. Beadon, and H. Barnes, Esqrs.; Mrs. Fisher, the heirs of the late Lord Rolle, and a few smaller owners. The Barton is the seat of the Rev. John Froude, and was built in 1848, on the site of the old mansion. The Church (St. Michael,) is a small ancient building, with a tower and four bells." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1596, and of the Bishops' Transcripts going back to 1607, are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1840, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1688-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1596-1812 and Marriages 1610, 1668-1812.
Granville, Roger & Mugford, W.E. (eds.) East Anstey, marriages 1607-1633. Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644, and short notes on the extant pre-reformation registers of all the parishes in the county, from particulars furnished by the several incumbents thereof. Vol. 1 A-Bra. Exeter: W. Pollard (1908) [Full text].
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
This parish is one of the growing number of places for which the Devon Heritage website provides census or parish register transcriptions, articles, and/or illustrations, etc.
Prideaux, F.B. Cruwys of Morchard and East Anstey Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries 13, 1924-5, pp. 134-7. [Includes pedigree. 14-15th c.]
East Anstey contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Ryall, David. Lest We Forget, War memorials around South Molton. South Molton Archive, 68pp. [ISBN 0 951236 1 4] [Provides an indexed list of names]
South Molton and District Archive Local History Society web-site (archived copy) - provides details of archive holdings for the twenty-eight parishes in what used to be the South Molton Rural District, lists of publications, etc.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 8 Apr 2012 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|