"BUCKLAND, (EAST) a small village and parish, 5½ miles N.N.W. of South Molton, contains 167 inhabitants, and 1384 acres of land, mostly the property of Earl Fortescue, the lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £9. 1s. 8d., and in 1831 at £324, with that of Filleigh annexed to it. The Rev Henry Hutton, M.A., is the incumbent, and has here 40A, of glebe, and a good residence at Filleigh. The tithes of this parish were commuted in 1837, for £144. 10s. per annum. The Church (St. Michael,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells. A cottage and 10A. of land have been vested from an early period for the repairs of the church, except £2. 10s. 6d. per annum for the clerk and sexton." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Braunton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
A transcription of the Memorial Inscriptions for the Church of St Michael is held in the Society of Genealogist's Library, in Vol. 8 of Devon Memorial inscriptions (DE/M23).
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1881 census records for this parish]
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837 - for details see their book list.
Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):
Nothing transcribed into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
East Buckland Baptisms 1837 - 1911. [Devon]: Devon Family History Society (2013).
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about East Buckland from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Cotsford, E.J. Local History of East Buckland. Torquay: E.J. Cotsford (1969) 22p. [Westcountry Studies Library - B/EAS 3/0001/COT]
Huxtable, East Buckland: the story of a North Devon farm and its neighbours. West Buckland, North Devon [England]: B. Payne,1993, 104 pp. ill., maps. ISBN: 0952105500.
East Buckland contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Ryall, David. Lest We Forget, War memorials around South Molton. South Molton Archive, 68pp. [ISBN 0 951236 1 4] [Provides an indexed list of names]
South Molton and District Archive Local History Society web-site (archived copy) - provides details of archive holdings for the twenty-eight parishes in what used to be the South Molton Rural District, lists of publications, etc.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 14 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|