|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"EAST STONEHOUSE, commonly called Stonehouse, is a populous township and parish, forming the centre of the "three towns," lying between Devonport and Plymouth, and separated from the former by Sutton Pool and Stonehouse Creek and Lake; and from the latter by Mill Bay, and a boundary line running behind the Gas Works, across the middle of Union street, and up Twickenham place, Manor street, and Eldad road, to Mill pool, - a little east of Mill Bridge, opposite Stoke. . . . It was anciently called Hepeston or Hippeston, and in the reign of Henry III. had but one house, which was the seat of Joel de Stonehouse, then lord of the manor. Before this time, it obtained the name of East Stonehouse, in contradistinction to the hamlet of West Stonehouse, which stood on the opposite shore of the harbour, near Cremill, and Mount Edgcumbe, until burnt by the French, some centuries ago. . . . Its number of inhabitants amounted in 1801, to 3407 . . . East Stonehouse was formerly a chapelry, in the parish of St. Andrew's, Plymouth, but was constituted a separate parish by act of Parliament. ST. GEORGE'S, the parish church, was built by subscription in 1789, on the site of the ancient chapel. It is a plain stone fabric, with a disproportioned tower, but the interior is neatly fitted up, and has about 700 sittings. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued at £197 per annum, in the patronage of the Vicar of St. Andrew's, Plymouth, and incumbency of the Rev W.H. Nantes, B.A. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Roborough Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and Diocese of the Exeter.
Buttall, Kenneth. From the Gentleman's Magazine 1817, Death of Margartet Clark, Devon Family Historian, vol. 123, (2007) p.11. [At Stonehouse, Plymouth, aged 106]
Coles, George. Whatever Happened to Poor Agnes, Devon Family Historian, vol. 107, (2003) pp.25-26. [Agnes Patrick, 1830-49]
Garner, J. A Plymouth Boy Who Made It, Devon Family Historian, vol. 111, (2004) pp.35. [Sydney Curnow Foster (1866-1942), painter.]
Henwood, Janet. Frank Thuell - Merchant Seaman, Devon Family Historian, vol. 140, (2011) p.8.
Stapley, Shirley. Alfred Roberts - Drowned in the Red Sea, Devon Family Historian, vol. 135, (2010) pp.32-33. [b. Stonehouse 1887.]
A transcription of the Memorial Inscriptions for the Church of St George is held in the Society of Genealogist's Library, in Vol. 9 of Devon Memorial Inscriptions.
The Plymouth and West Devon R.O. has a transcript of graves removed from St George's churchyard, 1770-1970, and MIs for the Presbyterian Chapel, Emma Place.
Royal Naval Hospital Stonehouse - Notes on Burials and M.I.s etc. [DFHS LOC 198]
No Place Field: Royal Naval Memorial Garden, Plymouth, Plymouth, Plymouth Library Services [2005?]. [This illustrated book provides a history of No Place Field, burial ground of the Royal Naval Hospital, Stonehouse from 1824 to 1898, and includes names and details of those recorded on memorial stones]
Ford Park Cemetery Burials - The Plymouth, Devonport & Stonehouse Cemetery, - General Ground 1848-1880, Church Ground 1849-1880, Catholic Ground 1881-1924 CD, Devon Family History Society (2012).
Bracken, C.W. The Huguenot churches of Plymouth and Stonehouse. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 66, (1934). - l163-179.
M., R.B. and Jenkins, Rhys. The French Church, Stonehouse, Plymouth. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 11:3, (1920) pp.111. [See query, vol.11, p.68.]
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1840, Marriages 1697-1837, Burials 1813-1840, together with Stonehouse Independent Chapel Burials 1795-1836 - for details see their book list.
Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):
Chiswell, Ann. East Stonehouse (St. Georges) Marriages 1697-1812. Supplements to Devon Family Historian vols. 6 - 21 Apr 1978 - Jan 1982. 112p. [Listing]
Dart, Charles Edmund. (ed.) Registers of the French Churches of Bristol, Stonehouse, and Plymouth. Huguenot Society of London pubs. vol. 20. Spottiswoode and Co. (1912) [Includes Stonehouse baptisms 1692-1791; marriages 1693-1748; burials 1692-1788.]
Plymouth Marriage Index: Volume 1:, Exeter, Devon Family History Society (2001). [Includes marriages for St George (1852-1954), St Matthew (1876-1964, and St Paul (1884-1963).]
Deanery of Three Towns - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837 and Burials 1813-1837 - CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2004). [Index of East Stonehouse - St. George: Baptisms (1813-1840), Marriages (1697-1837), Burials (1813-1840), Pennycross - St. Pancras: Baptisms (1813-1839), Burials (1813-1837); Plymouth - Charles the Martyr: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837); Plymouth - St. Andrew: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837); St. Budeaux: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837); Stoke Damerel: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837). With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850) and Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England (1844).]
Plymouth Baptisms Index (Volume 1): An index of baptisms in the parishes of Charles Church, Plymouth 1834-1962; St. Andrew, Plymouth 1835-1978; St. Budeaux 1840-1966; St. George, East Stonehouse 1863-1887 and 1941-1954; St. Pancras, Pennycross 1839-1970; Stoke Damerel 1840-1954. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2007). [Entries give the name of the child, the date, name of the church and either the entry number or the page number. PLEASE NOTE:- Names of the parents are not included.]
Wightwick, George. Nettleton's Guide to Plymouth, Stonehouse, Devonport and to the neighbouring country, etc. Plymouth (1836). [BL - 10358.aaa.3] [Index]
Worth, R.N. Guide to the Three Towns: And Neighbourhood, Plymouth, W. Brendon and Son (c1886) 136 pp. [Details of DFHS CD Facsimile]
A Naval Officer (Ed). The stranger's handbook to the Western metropolis, containing a concise and familiar description of Plymouth, Devonport, Stonehouse and neighbourhood including the government establishments. Devonport: W Wood & Son. (1841) 96 pp. [Index]
The tourist's companion; being a guide to the towns of Plymouth, Plymouth-Dock, Stonehouse, Morice-town, Stoke, and their vicinities. London, Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme and Brown (1823) xii, 316 pp. front., fold. maps. [Indexes to Part 1 (pp. 1-81), Part 2 (pp. 135-316)]
Terry Williams provides a very valuable collection of transcriptions, and or scanned images of each of the pages of, a number of Plymouth Area Directories (archived copy). These include: The Picture of Plymouth (1812), The Plymouth, Plymouth-Dock & Stonehouse General Directory (1814), Tourist's Companion - a guide to the towns of Plymouth, Plymouth-Dock, Stonehouse, Morice Town, Stoke (1823), The Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Directory (1830), Thomas's Plymouth Directory (1836), Williams's Commercial Directory (1847), Directory of Plymouth, Stonehouse, Devonport, Stoke, and Morice Town (1864-5), The Three Towns' Directory for Plymouth, Devonport and Stonehouse (1873), Plymouth, Devonport & Stonehouse Plymouth and Devonport Directory (1888), Plymouth and Devonport District Directory (1896), Post Office Directory of Plymouth, Devonport and Stonehouse (1906-7), Post Office directory of Plymouth and District (1915-16), and High Street, Plymouth, from Plymouth Directory (1885 and 1910-11).
A Directory of Plymouth, Stonehouse, Devonport, Stoke and Moricetown, Plymouth, F. Brendon, Directory Office, Cornwall Street (1852) 280 + 52 pp. of adverts.
The Three Towns' Almanack, and Daily Tide Tables for the Year 1866, Devonport, W. Wood (1866) 84 pp.
The Three Towns directory for Plymouth, Devonport and Stonehouse: Also, of Stoke, Morice Town, Ford, Torpoint, Saltash, Plympton St. Maurice, Ridgeway, Tamerton Foliott, Turnchapel, and Oreston, E. Thorne, Steam Printing Office, 60 & 61, Union Street, Plymouth (1873) xii + 152 pp.
Eyre's Post Office Plymouth and Devonport District Directory, Embracing also Stonehouse, Saltash, and the District Five Miles Round, and Including Historical Sketches of the Three Towns and District, (1903) pp. Ill., 477.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
Stapley, Shirley. Searching for Mary Jarvis, Devon Family Historian, vol. 118, (2006) pp.9-10.
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about East Stonehouse from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Plymouth Data (archived copy) - An encyclopaedia of historical information about the "Three Towns" of Plymouth, Devonport and Stonehouse, and also also the ancient parishes of St Budeaux, Eggbuckland, Tamerton Foliot, Plympton St Maurice, Plympton St Mary and Plymstock, which make up the modern City of Plymouth, compiled by Brian Moseley - highly recommended.
Transcript of the historical and descriptive account in White's Devonshire Directory of 1850.
Barber, Tony (ed.) Stonehouse - the third town. Plymouth: College of Further Education  64p. ill. [Westcountry Studies Library]
Pascoe, W.H. The Ha'penny Gate. In 25 Years with the Devon Family Historian, pp.20-24, Devon FHS, (2001). [Illustrated account of Stonehouse Bridge]
Stonehouse Residents' Association. A Stonehouse century: Stonehouse Peninsula remembered. Devil's Point (2002) 152 pp. [ISBN 0954215206]
East Stonehouse: A Pictorial Living Record. The Stonehouse Living History Group, 39a Haddington Road, Stoke, Plymouth PL2 1RR (1997) 28p.
Walk the Stonehouse Peninsula The Devil's Point Press, 10 Admiralty Cottages, Devil's Point, Plymouth PL1 3RS, (2001) 72p., ill. [ISBN 0 901474 27 4]
Chronicles of Cremyll Street (3rd. ed.), Stonehouse Residents Association and The Green Piece of Stonehouse, 10 Admiralty Cottages, Devil's Point, Plymouth PL1 3RS (2001) 119p. ill.
Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport, from Murray's Handbook for Travellers in Devonshire (1879).
Anstis, Ray. East Stonehouse Workhouse, Devon Family Historian, vol. 109, (2004) pp.10. [Transcript of a letter, of 1837, describing conditions at the workhouse]
Transcript of an 1872 will of Ann Baughan of Over Norton, Oxfordshire, bequeathing goods to her niece, Mary Ann Chapman, of Stonehouse.
Transcript of the will of Catherine Hearder (1826), provided by Ian Hearder.
Transcription of the will of Philip Richards (1837), provided by Jenny Duce.
East Stonehouse School - Admission Register - 1866-1876, Exeter, Devon Family History Society, (Booklet & PDF S005).
Worth, R.N. Residents in the "Three towns" in 1522-3. Trans. Devon. Assoc. vol. 26, (1894) pp.401-415. [Index]Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 16 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|