|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"EXBOURNE, a pleasant village and parish, on the east side of the picturesque valley of the river Okement, 5 miles E.S.E. of Hatherleigh, has 593 inhabitants, and 2280A. of land. Here is a cattle fair on the 3rd Monday in April. The assignees of Joseph Risdon, Esq., are lords of the manor, but most of the soil belongs to John Tattershall, S. and R. Westlake, and other freeholders. The Church (St. Mary,) has a tower and five bells, and the rectory, valued in K.B. at £27. 11s. 8d., and in 1831 at £299, is in the gift of John Hudson, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. H. Brailsford, L.L.B., who has a good residence, built nine years ago. The tithes have been commuted for £275 per annum. The School was built in 1839. The poor have the interest of £18, left by several donors.." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.
A., M. Sir Roper Lethbridge, K.C.I.E., D.L., J.P., M.A. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 10:6, (1919) pp.193-195, plates: port. [Indian civil servant, local historian, prominent in many Westcountry organizations, 1840-1919]
Whitmore, J.B. Devonshire Monumental Inscriptions, MS at Society of Genealogists (1951). [Extracts]
Exbourne - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Baigent, F.J. Stock-box in Exbourne church. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 2:1, (1902) pp.16-17, plates: ill.
Lethbridge, Roper. The deed of foundation of the Church House, Exbourne. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 1:5, (1900) pp.145-149. [Latin with English translation.] [Index]
Oldham, D'Oyly W. Ecclesiastical and Antiquarian Notes on Church of St Mary, Exbourne, Devon. Exeter Diocesan Architectural and Archaeological Society Transactions 3rd series, 2 (1901) pp.61-67.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1874 - for details see their book list.
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
Lethbridge, R. The Deed of Foundation of the Church House, Exbourne. Devon Notes and Queries 1 (1900-03) p.145. [Raymond: 1507. Includes many names.]
The Deanery of Okehampton: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Ashbury, Beaworthy, Belstone, Bratton Clovelly, Broadwoodkelly, Exbourne, Germansweek, Hatherleigh, Highampton, Honeychurch, Inwardleigh, Jacobstowe,Monkokehampton, Northlew, Okehampton and Sampford Courtenay. Photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2011). [Ashbury Mar: 1755-1810; Beaworthy Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1758-1837, Bur: 1760-1837; Belstone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1835, Bur: 1813-1837; Bratton Clovelly Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Broadwoodkelly Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1839, Bur: 1813-1838; Exbourne Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Germansweek Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1756-1837, Bur: 1813-1840; Hatherleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Highampton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1747-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Honeychurch Bapt: 1813-1842, Mar: 1757-1837, Bur: 1813-1842; Inwardleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1838, Bur: 1790-1837; Jacobstowe Bapt: 1813-1852, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1851; Monkokehampton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1838, Bur: 1813-1837; Northlew Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Okehampton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Okehampton Independent Chapel Bur: 1829-1837; Sampford Courtenay Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Linda Anstey, who invites queries and lookup requests. (Resources: PRs on fiche.)
Lethbridge, Sir Roper. The Lethbridges: A Devonshire clan. Exeter: Southwood & Co., 1900. [Raymond: Includes a calendar of Lethbridge papers preserved at Exbourne Manor.]
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Exbourne from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Lethbridge, Sir R. Notes on the Manor and Parish of Exbourne. Exeter: J.Southwood (1901) 19p. [Westcountry Studies Library - B/EXB/0001/LET]
Powell, J.R. Antiquarian notes on Exbourne parish, North Devon. Manuscript [1875?] 2 vols. [Westcountry Studies Library - pB/EXB/0001/POW]
Thornley, Irene. Aspects of nineteenth century Exbourne. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 110, (1978) pp.173-198.
Williams, H. Fulford. Notes on the Parish of Exbourne, Devon. Typescript (1962) 10 leaves. [Westcountry Studies Library]
Exbourne Local History Group. Proceedings. [Devon FHS Library p942.35/EXB]
Lethbridge, Roper. Sir. Tithe commutation in Exbourne in the seventeenth century. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 44, (1912) pp.394-405. [Index]Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 14 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|