Exeter 1850 Contents & Search
CHARITY TRUSTEES. (Appointed in 1836.)
CHURCH CHARITIES. - Rev. Arthur Atherley, Ralph Barnes, George Braund, John Clench, James Golsworthy, General Gage, John Hall, Henry Hooper, Charles Hubbard, William Kennaway, William Kingdon, Rev. Thomas Hill Lowe, Patrick Miller, J.J. Tanner - Clerk and Receiver, J. Daw, Solicitor, 13, Bedford Circus. The charities under their management comprise St. John's Hospital, the Free Grammar and Blue Schools, and some others.
GENERAL CHARITIES. - William Cole, John Carslake, John Hull Terrell, William Hooper, Samuel Mortimer, John Harris, William Lee, Patrick Miller, Kent Kingdon, Thomas Foster Barham, Rev. George Oliver, D.D., Samuel Kingdon, Jas. Golsworthy, Henry Lake Hirtzel, and Geo. Braund - Clerk, James Terrell, Solicitor, Bartholomew Yard. - Surveyor, R.B. Best, New North road. The charities under their management comprise all the Almshouses, Benefactions, &c., vested with the Corporation, except those classed under the name of Church Charities.
ST. JOHN'S HOSPITAL. - An Hospital, under this name, was founded in the 23rd of Henry III., by Gilbert and John Long, for five priests, nine boys, and twelve poor almsmen; and continued till the latter end of the reign of Henry VIII., when it was suppressed, along with the smaller religious houses. The origin of the present establishment was as follows:- In 1629, the Widow and Son of Hugh Crossing, alderman and merchant of Exeter, agreeable to his charitable intention, granted to thirteen trustees, and their heirs, the house and precinct of the late dissolved Hospital of St. John, and the church of the said late Hospital, and various other buildings, lands, &c., to be employed for an hospital in setting the poor to work. In the same indenture, made between the mayor and corporation of Exeter, and the aforesaid grantors, it is recited that £350 had been given to the Corporation by Thomas Walker, Eliz. Dowrich, and Walter Barough, in trust for the foundation of a Free Grammar School, which the Corporation agreed to establish in part of the hospital church. In 1637, the hospital was incorporated by Charles I., "for the relief, setting on work, and education in good learning and otherwise, of poor children of Exeter; also, for the maintenance of aged poor people inhabiting there, and not able to work." The mayor, recorder, aldermen, and common council of Exeter, were constituted governors of the charity, and vested with power to establish a Free Grammar School and a Free English School. For supporting the latter, £500, left by Elizabeth Jourdaine, was ordered to be appropriated. Numerous legacies and gifts were afterwards received by the governors for the support of the hospital and schools; and the property of the charity now comprises about 1170 acres of land, and many houses and other buildings, in the manors of Clist St. Lawrence and Clist Gerrard; a farm of 179 acres in Teignharvey; 55A. 12P. in Bovey-Travey; 26A. 28P. in Newton-Ferrers; and about forty houses, cottages, and tenements in the city of Exeter. This property was estimated, in 1821, at the clear yearly value of about £4500; but it was held by about ninety lessees, at small reserved rents amounting to only about £700 a year, besides which, the charity receives occasionally large sums for fines and heriots, paid by the lessees on the renewal of leases, held for lives. More than half of the income is derived from the manors of Clist St. Lawrence and Gerrard, and other property, given by ELIZE HELE, Esq., in 1632, for charitable uses, and appropriated by his executors for the education and maintenance of poor children, except £32 per annum for two lecturers at Exeter College, Oxford. The average annual expenditure of the charity, from 1815 to 1820, was about £900, including the salaries paid to the masters of the Grammar and Blue Schools, and of a school at Moreton Hampstead. At the time of granting the letters patent of Chas. I., it seems to have been intended that a part of the building should be allotted for the habitation of aged or impotent poor persons; but that intention has never been carried into effect. The establishment consists only of the Chapel and the Free Grammar and Blue Schools. Divine service is performed twice on Sundays, in the ancient Chapel, by the master of the Free Grammar School, and the boys of both schools attend. Seats are reserved for the trustees; and the master of the Grammar School has the privilege of letting the other seats, which produce about £40 a year. This is the only remuneration which he receives for the duty performed by him at the chapel. The hospital buildings are extensive, and part of them are very old, but in good repair. Several rooms in the Hospital, formerly used as the Cloth Fair, are now let as retail shops.
The FREE GRAMMAR SCHOOL, in High street, was established by the citizens of Exeter a few years before the date of the charter of Charles L; and in 1633, certain statutes and ordinances were made by the Mayor and Common Council for its government. The first appointment of a master does not appear. The earliest that is found in the "Act Book," is in 1648, when a master was elected by the Governors of St. John's Hospital, who was to receive £30 per annum, and to have the occupation of a house, and part of the garden behind the Hospital; for which he was to instruct freely all such scholars as should be admitted into the school, being the sons of freemen and inhabitants of the city or county of the city of Exeter. At present, only the sons of freemen are considered to be entitled to a free education, and it is necessary that they should be appointed by the Governors. The free scholars receive a classical education in common with the other boys; but very few applications have been made of late years for the admission of such scholars, the number being seldom more than two or three. The sons of all inhabitants of the city or county of Exeter are entitled to be admitted as day scholars, at a moderate expense, the master being restricted from charging or receiving more for their instruction than six guineas each per ann. The number of day boys is usually about 60. The master is allowed to take boarders; and with the intention of enabling him to accommodate a large number of them, a commodious house was built, adjoining the Hospital, in 1776-'7, at the cost of £1700. The Rev. Wm. Mills, D.D., is the head-master, and has a salary of £40 from the trustees. He pays all the assistant masters, and the pupils are prepared for the universities, the learned professions, and commercial pursuits. The school is in high repute, and it and the Blue School and St. John's Hospital are under the management of the Church list of Charity Trustees, who appoint the Governors yearly, out of their own body. There are eighteen EXHIBITIONS at the two Universities, for boys from Exeter Free Grammar School. Four boys from this school are entitled to Exhibitions of £8 per annum, at Exeter College, Oxford, pursuant to the bequest of Robert Vilvayne, M.D., in 1660. Two other boys from this school are entitled to exhibitions of £8 per annum, from Sir John Acland's Charity, as afterwards noticed. In 1745, the Rev. Lewis Stephens, D.D., left £3000 to be vested with the Corporation, (after the death of three annuitants,) and applied for ever towards the support of six exhibitioners in the Universities, from this school, two to be natives of the city, two natives of Devonshire, and two natives of Cornwall. In 1821, this charity consisted of £7200 three per cent. Consols; and there are now six exhibitioners, each receiving £36 per annum. The other exhibitions are three of £20 each, founded by the Rev. Dr. Reynolds, at Exeter College, Oxford; one of £32, for the son of a freeman at either of the Universities, founded by the late John James Stephens, Esq., of Lisbon; and two of £20 per annum each, at St. John's College, Cambridge, founded by the late R.S. Vidal, Esq. In the city and suburbs are several large and well conducted Boarding and Day Schools, for young ladies and gentlemen. One of these private establishments is the "College School," at Mount Radford, conducted by the Rev. C.R. Roper, M.A.
The BLUE SCHOOL, where 30 poor boys are lodged, boarded, clothed, and educated, and where 86 others receive gratuitous instruction, occupies the chief part of St. John's Hospital. The scholars here were formerly under the care of the master of the hospital, who received an allowance for providing them with food and clothing, and of a writing master, who received a salary for instructing them. In 1812, these two offices were united. The master is appointed by the Governors, and receives from them a salary of £150 a year, for the education of the Blue Boys, and 86 day scholars appointed by the trustees. He has also an allowance of £15 a year for each of the 30 Blue Boys, in consideration of which he furnishes them with board, lodging, washing, and part clothing. The rest of their clothing, and their bedding, books, stationery, &c., are provided out of the hospital funds. The boys are admitted from seven to ten years of age, and are allowed to stay till they are 14. They are taught reading,, writing, arithmetic, English grammar, geography, &c.; and each of them is entitled to a premium of £10, on being bound apprentice, if a proper master can be found. Of the 30 boys on the foundation, 16 are admitted on account of Hele's gift, two on Keate's gift, two on Gandy's gift, one on Newcombe's gift, and nine on account of Crossing's and Worth's gifts, and other benefactions. They are appointed by the Governors, from the city and County of Exeter, with the exception of those for whom a specific mode of nomination is pointed out by the donors. Five of those admitted on account of Hele's gift are selected from the children of poor parents of Devonshire, who never resided in Exeter or Plymouth;- the poor boys of Clist St. Lawrence, Broad-Clist, or Bovey, to have the preference. The two boys admitted on account of Gandy's gift are selected from the parish of St. Paul, and two others are chosen from the parish of St. Mary Major, on account of Keate's gift One of the boys is nominated by the heir of the late Robert L. Newcombe, who, in 1773, in fulfilment of the intentions of his father, (John Newcombe) granted for the support and education of one poor boy, three houses in High street, now let for £120 a year. Abel Worth, Esq., who died in 1821, left £3000, four per cent. annuities, to this school.
HELE'S BOY'S SCHOOL, is a neat building, in New North road, built in 1848-'9, at the cost of about £1000, paid by the Charity Trustees, out of funds belonging chiefly to Elize Hele's Charity. It has been founded and endowed under her Majesty's warrant. The boys are instructed in reading, writing, arithmetic, mathematics, English grammar, history, &c., and in the rudiments of Latin. Those under ten years old pay 21s., and those above that age, 42s. per annum each. The master has one-half of these payments, and also £80 a year from the trustees, of whom the following is a list: Sir J.T.B. Duckworth; J.W. Buller, Esq.; the Rev. G. Martin; the Rev. J.M. Stevens; and John Tyrrel, Samuel Barnes, Mark Kennaway, Jph. Sayell, Edw. Woolmer, and E.A. Sanders, Esqrs. They intend to erect a good house for the master.
The BLUE MAIDS' HOSPITAL, or Hele's Hospital, where four poor girls are maintained and educated, was founded pursuant to the will of Elize Hele, Esq., whose executors settled for its foundation Bovey Mills, and directed that £1500 should be raised for the same purpose out of the fines received on granting leases of the lands and tenements granted by them to St. John's Hospital, agreeable to the charitable intentions of the same donor. This £1500 is supposed to have been laid out in erecting the hospital, and purchasing an adjacent tenement. In 1660, Robert Vilvayne gave certain premises in Exe Island, and directed that out of the rents £32 per annum should be applied towards the support of four exhibitioners at Exeter College, Oxford, and that the residue of the yearly proceeds should be applied to the use of this hospital. In consideration of a fine of £262. 10s., this property was let, in 1801, on a 99 years lease, for only £15. 15s. per annum; consequently, the hospital does not derive any benefit from it. Among other gifts to this hospital, we find £100, given by John Mayne; £200 by Gilbert Keate, in 1656; £100 by Edmund Prideaux, and various benefactions of smaller amounts. In 1821, the sum of £1636. 19s., belonging to the hospital, was vested with the Corporation of Exeter, at four per cent. interest; but the Charity Commissioners recommended that it should be invested in government securities. The hospital stands in St. Mary Arches street, and is under the government of the Trustees of the Church Charities. It is calculated for a much larger number of girls than have for many years been admitted. The greater part of it is in the occupation of the schoolmistress, who has also the use of a large garden, and is allowed to take lodgers and lay scholars. She has a yearly salary of £10 for teaching the four Blue Girls, and is allowed $8 per annum each, for providing them with board and washing. They are clothed out of the funds of the charity. Part of the hospital is let for about £15 a year, and Bovey Mills now yield about £50 per annum to this charity. The four girls are admitted at the ages of 7 to 10 years, and discharged at 14 years old, when they are bound apprentices, with premiums of £4, or placed as servants in respectable families.
Wotton's and Glass's Charity School, formerly occupied part of the Blue Maid's Hospital, but is now amalgamated with the National School, in Bartholomew street, where 50 children are admitted, in consideration of the following bequests. In 1689, Wm. Wotton gave to the feoffees of St. Mary Arches parish lands, a farm of 36 12A., at Cullompton, in trust, for the payment of £10 a year for the poor of Blackauton, and for the application of the rest of the yearly proceeds in schooling poor children of the city of Exeter, and in buying them Bibles and other books. The farm is let for £76, of which £66 is applied in schooling and clothing about 30 boys of St. Mary Arches and other city parishes. Fifteen other boys are taught free, pursuant to the will of Thomas Glass, M.D., who, in 1784, left £150, secured at four per cent. interest, on the Exeter turnpikes, for the education of poor children of the parishes of St. Mary Arches, St. Olave, and Allhallows-on-the-Walls.
The EPISCOPAL CHARITY SCHOOLS, in St. Paul's parish, where 180 boys and 130 girls are educated and partly clothed, were established in 1709, under the patronage of Dr. Blackall, then Bishop of Exeter. They were originally supported by voluntary subscriptions, and by collections made at the cathedral and the churches of the city. The present schools, with houses for the master and mistress, were built in 1817, at the cost of £1600, exclusive of £910 paid for the land. On the opening of the new schools, in 1818, the Madras system was introduced, and the number of scholars was increased from 200 to 250, and they have since been increased to 310. The boys are taught reading, writing, arithmetic, &c.; and the girls, also, knitting and sewing, They are appointed by the trustees and annual subscribers of 21s., from the parishes of the city, and that of St. Thomas. The boys are admitted at 9, and remain till 14; and the girls are admitted at eight, and remain till 13 years of age. Children of parents of all religious denominations are admitted; but so long as they remain, they are required to attend the service of the Church of England only. They are conducted on Sundays to four of the city churches, and are supplied with clothing, at the cost of about £500 per annum. The master has £100, and the mistress £35 per annum; and they have each an assistant, who has £35 a year. The average annual income of this useful charity is about £900, of which about £360 arises from land and buildings in the city, and a farm of 131A. at Ottery St. Mary; £160 from funded property, and £90 from annual subscriptions. For the management of the charity, the Bishop of Exeter and all the Dignitaries of the Cathedral, the Mayor and Justices of the city, and the incumbents of each of the parishes of the city, and county of the city, and of the parish of St. Thomas, are trustees ex officio. All benefactors to the amount of £21, and all subscribers to the amount of £2. 2s., or upwards, per annum, are trustees. In 1712, Wm. Ekins left, out of land, &c., in and near the city, a yearly rent of £50, towards the support of these schools, and directed that part of it should be applied in teaching mathematics. Among the other donations towards the maintenance of the schools, are the following:- A house and garden, left by the Rev. John Newte, in 1715, and now let for £17. 12s. 10d. a year; £200 left by Walter Rolf, in 1718; six houses and 13A. of land, in and near Hills-court, given by Samuel Daniel, in 1738, and now let for about £120 a year; numerous legacies, to the amount of about £12,000; and benefactions, amounting to more than £2500. Rolf's and other legacies, to the amount of £1170, were laid out in the purchase of a farm of 131 acres, in the parish of Ottery St. Mary, now let for £150 a year, subject to deductions for repairs and taxes. The charity has also £15 a year out of the workhouse land, left by Mary Trelawney; and £20 a year, left by Eliz. Tuckfield. The funded property belonging to them now consists of £4797 three per cent. Consols, and £512. 8s. 6d. South Sea Annuities. Part of the Consols were purchased with the clear proceeds of a legacy of £6000, four per cent. Annuities, left to these schools by Abel Worth, Esq., in 1821. This liberal donor was a native of this neighbourhood, and became a wealthy merchant in London, after residing some time at Lisbon.
The LADIES' CHARITY SCHOOL, in Castle street, was established in 1804, by a society of ladies, for the improvement of the female poor of Exeter. It is managed by a committee, and supported by annual subscriptions, for the education and clothing of forty girls, who are admitted at the age of six, and discharged at fourteen years old, They are instructed in reading, the church catechism, sewing, knitting, marking, &c.
BEDFORD CHAPEL SCHOOL, in Chapel street, Bedford circus, was established in 1835, for the purpose of preparing girls for domestic servitude. Thirty girls are admitted at the age of ten, and kept under tuition till they are fit to go into respectable situations. They each pay 2d. per week to the clothing fund; and such of them as behave well, are provided with clothes on going into service. The school is under the control of a committee of ladies. The Rev. W. Jackson is president; and Mrs. J. Bingham, secretary.
NATIONAL SCHOOLS. - The Devon and Exeter Central and Exeter National Schools afford instruction on the national system to about 430 boys and 270 girls, who pay from ld. to 2d. each per week, except about 50 who are taught free, in consideration of Wotton and Glass's Charity, as noticed at page 100. The Central Schools, in Magdalen street, are attended by about 230 boys and 160 girls, and. were established in 1814. The others, distinguished as Exeter National Schools, are in Bartholomew street, and were established in 1834. The latter are attended by about 200 boys and 110 girls. These large schools are supported by annual subscriptions, donations, collections at the churches, and the small payments of the scholars. The teachers of these and the other public schools will be seen in the list of academies at a subsequent page. The Revs. C. Worthy and S. Lee are the secretaries, and the Rev. J.F. Turner is the treasurer. There are National Schools in St. James's, St. Sidwell's, and some other of the city parishes. Devon and Exeter INFANT SCHOOL, in Bartholomew street, was established in 1825, and is attended by 170 children. In the city and suburbs are other Infant Schools supported by the church, and also several supported by Dissenters.
EXETER DIOCESAN BOARD OF EDUCATION was instituted in 1838,. for the purpose of improving the system of education in Church of England Schools, through the medium of well-trained teachers, and an efficient system of inspection. The Board consists of the Bishop, the Dean and Chapter, and 150 of the nobility, clergy, and gentry of Devon and Cornwall. The Training Schools, for teachers of both sexes, are in the Close, and are under the superintendence of a clerical principal, (the Rev. George Martin, B.D. and a master and mistress. Since 1840, upwards of 50 young men and about 20 young women have been trained here for the management of schools, and many schoolmasters have been admitted for improvement. The Rev. E.C. Harington, M.A., is secretary to the Diocesan Board, and the Rev. F. Courtenay to the Exeter Local Board. The Diocese is divided into 16 districts, each having a local board.
There are in Exeter many SUNDAY SCHOOLS attached to the churches and chapels, and attended by several thousand children. The Church Sunday Schools were commenced in 1816, and the Revs. T. Coldridge and S. Lee are the secretaries.
The PROTESTANT DISSENTERS' CHARITY SCHOOL was established by subscription about 1770, and now occupies a house and premises in Paris street, which were purchased in 1789, and had previously belonged to an academy for the instruction of young men designed for the ministry among Dissenters. It affords instruction to about 80 boys and 40 girls, and provides part of them with clothing. It is free from sectarian bias, and is conducted on the system of the Irish National Board of Education. It derives about £100 per ann. from donations and annual subscriptions, and is chiefly under the control of Unitarians.
The BRITISH SCHOOLS, in Coombe street, were established in 1845, and are attended by about 300 children, who are instructed on the system of the British and Foreign School Society. The schools are supported by voluntary subscriptions and the small payments of the children. The Rev. John Bigwood is secretary, and the schools are in three departments for boys, girls, and infants. The WESLEYAN DAY SCHOOL in the Mint, was opened in 1846, and has about 100 scholars. It was built at the cost of about £1200, and is conducted on the Glasgow system.
The WEST OF ENGLAND INSTITUTION, for the instruction of the Deaf and Dumb Children of the counties of Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, and Dorset, was founded in 1826, and occupies a handsome building in the Egyptian style, pleasantly situated on the south side of Topsham road, and commanding a picturesque view over the vale of the Exe, as far as Haldon Hills. It is supported by voluntary contributions and the payments on behalf of the pupils, who are in three classes, viz., the poor, who each pay about 3s. per week; the intermediate class, who each pay £20 per annum; and the private pupils, who each pay £50 a year. The foundation scholars who partake of the benefits of the charity usually number about 30 boys and 20 girls. They are admitted between the ages of 7 and 12, and may remain till 15. They are instructed in reading, writing, arithmetic, drawing, "c. The girls are taught needlework, knitting, &c., and the boys are instructed in various trades, such as tailoring, shoemaking, gardening, printing, &c. There is also a fund for apprenticing some of them on leaving the institution. All subscribers of one guinea or upwards, or donors of £10. 10s. or upwards, are governors of the institution; and subscribers of two guineas are members of the committee of management. Among the legacies bequeathed to it are £2000, left by Nathl. Gundry, Esq.; £100 each by Mrs. Webber, Wm. Tonkins, Lord de Dunstaville, and Miss Luke; and £200 by R. Sanders, Esq. The last report shews a long list of subscriptions and donations, and notices the gift of £100 by Miss Meyrick, of Bath, to the apprentice fund. Visitors will be pleased with an inspection of this interesting institution, which is open on Tuesdays and Fridays between 12 and 1 for that purpose. The Rev. Dr. Troyte is the president; Capt. T.L. Lewis is the honorary secretary; Major J.R. Godfrey is the honorary treasurer; and Dr. W.R. and Mrs. Scott are the master and matron. Messrs. W. Matthews and S.A. Gilder are the assistants, and Mr. Jeffery is the drawing master.
The West of England Institution for the Instruction and Employment of the Blind was established in 1838, and removed to its present building, on St. David's hill, in 1843. It is supported by subscriptions, donations, and the payments for board of pupils. There are usually about 17 inmates, and all of them are taught to read and make baskets; and some of them are taught music, mat making, and worsted work. Visitors will be highly gratified on seeing the course of instruction pursued, and the works of ingenuity completed and in progress at this school for the blind. The Rev. W. Jackson is chaplain; the Rev. M. Tucker secretary; and Mr. G.H. Harvey, honorary musical instructor. Mrs. Sar. Eliz. Friend is the superintendent, and Mr. Dean and Susan Nicholls are teachers of basket work.
The DISPENSARY, in Queen street, was established in 1818, but the neat and substantial building which it now occupies was erected in 1840-'1. The total cost of the new building, including the ground, furniture, &c., was about £2400. This useful charity supplies the poor of the city and suburbs with medicine and surgical aid as outpatients, and is supported by voluntary contributions. It has about 2400 patients yearly; and its annual income is about £700, arising chiefly from annual subscriptions. Sir J.T.B. Duckworth, Bart., is the president, and Edw. Woolmer, Esq., vice-president. Mr. Saml. Hele is the resident dispenser and secretary, and the medical gentlemen who attend gratuitously are Drs. Miller, Pennell, Barham, Hulme, Elliott, Shapter, Blackall, Miles, and Granger, physicians; and Messrs. Kingdon, Tucker, Webb, Kempe, Amory, Harris, Barnes, and James, surgeons. A HOMOE0PATHIC DISPENSARY has recently been established here. The HUMANE SOCIETY was instituted in 1790 for the purpose of restoring suspended animation in those who are apparently dead by drowning. Mr. Edwin Force is the secretary ; Wm. Lee, treasurer; and W.P. Kingdon, registrar.
The WEST OF ENGLAND EYE INFIRMARY, in Magdalen street, was founded in 1808, for the cure of diseases in the eye, and is supported by annual subscriptions, donations, and the dividends of £3574 consols, purchased at various periods with benefactions and savings of income. It has generally from 200 to 300 patients, and the total number admitted since the opening of the Infirmary in 1808, amounts to more than 27,000, of whom about 25,500 were cured and the rest benefited. Of those cured, about 440 had been blind from cataract, and 82 of them had been in darkness from birth or infancy. Sir H.R.F. Davie, Bart., is president; the Rev. J. Bartholomew, vice-president; and Mr. Thos. Morrish, secretary. Messrs. De-la-Garde, Edye, and Barnes, are the surgeons, and Dr. Blackall is the consulting physician.
ST. THOMAS'S HOSPITAL, near Exeter, is a Lunatic Asylum, in the suburban parish of St. Thomas. It was founded in 1801, when Bowhill House was purchased for its use at the expense of about £2650, including the cost of the furniture and repairs. Above £9000 has since been laid out in additional buildings and furniture. This institution, for the safe keeping and medical treatment of those afflicted with the worst of human maladies, was founded long before the County of Devon Lunatic Asylum at Exminster. From its foundation in 1801, to Lady day, 1848, the number of patients admitted was 1461, of whom 759 had been discharged as cured. The hospital is an extensive building, standing on rising ground, in a salubrious situation. The rooms are spacious and well ventilated, and the windows command extensive views of the surrounding country. The gardens and airing grounds are extensive, and there are five indoor galleries, two of which are 112 feet long and 8 broad. and one of the others is 119 feet long and 8 broad. These galleries and the other arrangements admit of a convenient and satisfactory classification of the patients. The affairs of the hospital are under the immediate direction and control of the Governors and Treasurer, and it has attached to it two Physicians, a Chaplain, a Resident Medical Superintendent, a Consulting Surgeon, a Matron, and nine Female and five Male Attendants. The general management permits of amusements and means of moral and intellectual improvement; and those Patients who may safely be trusted without the walls, are permitted to visit their friends, and to take walks and drives in the neighbourhood. Whilst enjoying the retirement and quiet of a private asylum, this hospital is really a public institution, subject to the inspection and supervision of the Commissioners in Lunacy, but not under the control of the County Magistrates. The expenses are defrayed, in a great measure, by the board of the patients, whose friends can afford to pay for their maintenance, the amount of which is about £1500 per annum. This is aided by the interest of benefactions and legacies, and by annual donations and subscriptions. Thos. Wm. Gray, Esq., is treasurer; W. D. Kingdon, M.D., resident medical superintendent; Miss Augusta Brutton, matron; and the Rev. J.F. Turner, chaplain. P. Miller and T. Shapter are the physicians, and C.E. Webb is the consulting surgeon.
Devon and Exeter FEMALE PENITENTIARY, near the Holloway, was established in 1819, and in the following year a house was purchased for it, at the cost of £1400, and fitted up for the reception of about 50 penitents. Its object is to afford an asylum to those unfortunate females who, having deviated from the paths of virtue, are desirous of being restored to their proper station in society, by religious instruction and the formation of moral and industrious habits. It has been the means of plucking many brands from the burning, and of solacing many parents by reclaiming their unhappy daughters from the lowest haunts of vice and degradation. It is supported by subscriptions and donations. The Bishop is patron; Rev. J.I. Holmes, chaplain; Jph. Sheppard, treasurer; Jph. Chapman, secretary; John Blackall, physician; S. Barnes, surgeon; E.P. Pridham, apothecary; and Mrs. Moyse, matron.
DEVON AND EXETER REFUGE for the instruction and employment of Discharged Prisoners, is at Lawn Lodge, Sidwell street, and was established in 1835. It has generally from 15 to 20 inmates, and is supported by subscription. J. Milford, Esq., is treasurer; John Palk, secretary; and Mrs. Jones, matron.
Brian Randell, 25 Oct 1998
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|