A parish in Shebbear Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
"FRITHELSTOCK, a village and parish 2 miles W. of Great Torrington, comprises 705 souls and 2380 acres of land, including the hamlets of Frithelstock Stone, and Milford. There was a small Priory of Austin Canons here, founded by Sir Roger Beauchamp, in the reign of Henry III. ... The estate now belongs to Lord Clinton, but the Rev. P. Thomas is lord of the manor, and Mrs. Stevens, and a few smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The Church (St. Mary and St. Gregory,) is an ancient structure, and the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mrs. P. Johns, and incumbency of the Rev. G.W.T. Carwithen, M.A. Part of the Priory church, with lancet shaped windows, still remains." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Chope, R.Pearse. John Abbott, plasterer. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 14:7, (1927) pp.289-290, plates: port; ill. [For earlier plasterers see T.D.A. 49, p.196.] [1680- ]
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]
Chope, R.P. The Augustinian Priory of Frithelstock; with a description of the ruins and some account of the parish church of St Mary, St Gregory and St Edmund, by C.A. Ralegh Radford. (1928) [Plymouth Library]
Chope, R. Pearse. Frithelstock Priory. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 61, (1929) pp.167-191.
Dredge, J.Ingle. Frithelstock Priory in the Deanery of Hartland, Exeter: William Pollard (1894) 11 pp. [Westcountry Studies Library 726.7/FRI/DRE]
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1556 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
Transcriptions of Frithelstock Baptisms (1563-1823), Marriages (1573-1812), and Burials (1571-1812), by Betsey Rubel.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1840, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1556-1873 (extracts only) and Marriages 1575-1859 (extracts only).
An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Abbotsham, Alverdiscott, Alwington, Bideford, Buckland Brewer, Bulkworthy, Clovelly, East Putford, Frithelstock, Hartland, Landcross, Littleham, Monkleigh, Northam, Parkham, Wear Gifford, Welcombe and West Woolfardisworthy. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850 and Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England 1844, CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Abbotsham Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Alverdiscott Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1775-1837; Alwington Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Bideford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Buckland Brewer Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Bulkworthy Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1814-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Clovelly Bapt: 1813-1838, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Putford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1797-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Frithelstock Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Hartland Bapt: 1838-1839, Mar: 1558-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Landcross Bapt: 1814-1839, Mar: 1761-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Littleham Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1851; Monkleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Northam Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Parkham Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1537-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Wear Gifford Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Welcombe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1757-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; West Woolfardisworthy Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Frithelstock Parish website.
Extract from Murray's "Handbook for Travellers in Devonshire" (1879), for Great Torrington, with Monkleigh and Frithelstock.
Transcription provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
Bennett: genealogical memoranda relating to the Bennett family.., Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica 1, 1868, pp. 294-7. [Of Devon and Cornwall.]
Jackson, Sue and Adams, Rod. The Tallamys of Devon, Devon Family Historian, vol. 128, (2008) pp.11-12. [Of various North Devon parishes, particularly Moretonhampstead, and also Frithelstock and Buckland Brewer.]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 20 Jul 2012 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|