|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"GIDLEIGH, or GIDLEY, a small scattered village, on the eastern declivities of Dartmoor Forest, near one of the tributary streams of the river Teign, 7½ S.E. of Okehampton, and 17 miles W. by S. of Exeter, has in its parish 182 souls, and 2435A. 3R. 30P. of land, more than half of which is open common, &c., in Dartmoor. It includes two small hamlets, called Chapel and Forder, and is watered by the Teign and two of its tributaries, which have their sources a few miles westward, among the rude hills and dales of Dartmoor. The manor belonged, from the reign of Wm. the Conqueror till that of Edward II., to the ancient family of Prouz or Prous, who had a castle here, and an extensive park. Some remains of the castle keep are still standing, near the church. With the heiress of the Prouz family, the manor passed to the Mules; and from them it passed the Damarells. It afterwards passed to the Coad, Gidley, and Rattery families, and was purchased with the advowson, under a decree of the Court of Chancery, by the late Rev. Thomas Whipham. The Rev. Arthur Whipham, M.A., is the present rector, patron, and lord of the manor, and has a handsome modern seat in GIDLEIGH PARK. . . . Mr. John Rowe, Mr. Wm. Brock, and several smaller owners have estates in the parish. In 1848, L. Prinsep, Esq., built a neat house and two towers on the highest hill in the parish. The Church (Holy Trinity,) is an antique structure, with a tower and four bells." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Gidleigh parish is in Wonford Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the Dartmoor area.
Brown, Mike. Gidleigh (Full Survey). In Dartmoor Region Monumental Inscriptions Indexes, Vol. 22. Dartmoor Press, PO Box 132, Plymouth PL4 7YL.
Gidleigh - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Rawson, J. The Chapel of La Wallen, Gidleigh. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries, vol. 11, (1920-21), illus., pp. 129-138. [Index]
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1599 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1813-1837, Burials 1813-1884 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1613-1812, and Marriages 1599-1753.
The Deanery of Dunsford: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Ashton, Bridford, Chagford, Cheriton Bishop, Christow, Doddiscombsleigh, Drewsteignton, Dunsford, Gidleigh, Hittisleigh, Holcombe Burnell, South Tawton, Spreyton, Tedburn St. Mary, Throwleigh and Whitestone. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Ashton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1740-1837; Bridford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Chagford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Cheriton Bishop Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1841, Bur: 1813-1837; Christow Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1757-1844, Bur: 1813-1837; Doddiscombsleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1780-1837; Drewsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Dunsford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Gidleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1748-1812 (BT's), Mar: 1814-1837, Bur: 1813-1884; Hittisleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Holcombe Burnell Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1753-1837; South Tawton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Spreyton Bapt: 1803-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Tedburn St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Throwleigh Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Whitestone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Copy provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
Dartmoor Press Online Magazine's page for this parish (archived copy), with articles, transcriptions, publication details, etc. - highly recommended.
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Gidleigh from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Amery, J S & R H Worth. Gidleigh castle. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 57 (1925).
Grumley-Grennan, T. and Hardy, M. Gidleigh - A Dartmoor Village - Past & Present, Gidleigh Castle, Gidleigh, Devon TQ13 8HR, Glebe Publishing (2000) 200 pp. [ISBN 0-9538922-0-4]
Hughes, G.W.G. Gidleigh. Devonshire Assoc. Trans. (1947) pp91-104.
Brown, Mike. Gidleigh. In "Dartmoor Tithe Apportionments, Vol. 6". The Dartmoor Press (c1997) 16p.
Whale, T W. Some remarks on the bounds of the Forest of Dartmoor, with special reference to the parishes of Throwleigh, Chagford and Gidleigh. Vol 25, Trans. Devon. Assoc. (1893), pp. 510-534. [Index]
Wilkinson, B.E. Gidleigh castle. Devon Life vol. 1 no. 8, (1965) pp.30-32; ill.
Gidleigh contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Gidleigh Apprentices Register - 1803-1841, Exeter, Devon Family History Society, (Booklet & PDF A203). [Foreword]Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 15 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|