|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"HARFORD is a small scattered village, in the picturesque valley of the river Erme, 2½ miles N. of Ivybridge. Its parish includes part of Ivybridge, and contains 193 souls, and about 3600 acres of land, of which 1571 acres are cultivated, and the rest open moorland, at the southern extremity of Dartmoor Forest, where the hills rise in bold disorder from the rivers and streamlets. H.B. Rivers, Esq., is lord of the manor; but the Hall and other estates belong to Sir. F.L. Rogers, Bart., and several smaller owners have estates in the parish. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells.; and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 14s. 4½d., and in 1831 at £210, in the patronage of T. Saunders, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. W.F. Saunders, B.A., who has a good modern residence, and 50A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1828, for £180 per annum. The independent Chapel, the London and Bridge Inns, and one of the paper mills, at Ivybridge, are in this parish." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Ermington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of both the South Hams and the Dartmoor area.
Peskett: Ivybridge was an ancient village, with a chapel of ease dependent on Cornwood, it was later created as a modern parish incorporating parts of Cornwood, Ermington, Harford and Ugborough.
Hinchcliffe, Keith. Emma Jane Pawley, Devon Family Historian, vol. 36, (2011) p.33. [d. 1890]
Pirie-Gordon, H. Prideaux-Reynell. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries, vol. 11 (1920-21), pp. 82-4. [Index]
Brown, Mike. Guide Notes to Monuments in Devon Churches & Graveyards: Harford, Ugborough. 24pp. [Williams, Prideaux, Fowell]
Brown, Mike. Harford (Pre-1950 Survey). In Dartmoor Region Monumental Inscriptions Indexes, Vol. 15. Dartmoor Press, PO Box 132, Plymouth PL4 7YL.
Whitmore, J.B. Devonshire Monumental Inscriptions, MS at Society of Genealogists (1951). [Extracts]
Harford - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Cotton, William. The churches of Cornwood, Harford, and Ermington. Exeter Diocesan Architectural Soc. Trans. 1 ser, v. 6, (1861) pp.289-307; ill, plates.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
Brown, M. (Ed.) Harford churchwardens' accounts 1695-1746. (Dartmoor archive reseachers' transcripts and guides ; vol.2). Plymouth: Dartmoor Press (1995) 30p.
An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the Deanery of Plympton. with photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850 and The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2007). [Brixton: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Cornwood: Bapt (1813-1840), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1838), Ermington: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1838), Bur (1813-1837 ), Harford: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1755-1837), Bur (1813-1838), Holbeton: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Ivybridge: Bapt (1835-1840), Mar (1835-1840), Bur (1836-1840), Kingston: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1836), Bur (1813-1837), Modbury: Bapt (1813-1840), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Newton Ferrers: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1836), Bur (1813-1837)), North Huish: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Plympton St. Mary: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Plympton St. Maurice: Bapt (1813-1840), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Plymstock: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Revelstoke: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Shaugh Prior: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1835), Ugborough: Bapt (1813-1840), Mar (1754-1841), Bur (1813-1837), Wembury: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1612-1837), Bur (1813-1840), Yealmpton: Bapt (1813-1840), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837)]
Transcription provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
Brown, Mike. Trade Directory for Cornwood, Harford, Shaugh Prior, South Brent 1850, 1870, 1878, Dartmoor Press (2001).
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Wayne Shepheard, who invites queries and lookup requests.
Paul Sherriff offers lookups for the modern parish of Ivybridge, created in 1835. (Resources: PRs, Pigot's etc.)
Dartmoor Press Online Magazine's page for this parish (archived copy), with articles, transcriptions, publication details, etc. - highly recommended.
Worthy, C. Devonshire Parishes: or the antiquities, heraldry and family history of twenty-eight parishes in the archdeaconry of Totnes (2 vols), Exeter, W. Pollard (1887). [Chap. XXIII: Harford - Robert of Mortaine; WILLIAMS (Speaker of the House of Commons); manor of Hall; CHUDLEIGH; John PRIDEAUX, Bishop of Worcester] [Index]
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Harford from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Harris, Colin. Stowford Paper Mill & The Industrial Heritage of the Erme Valley, Tiverton, Halsgrove Publishing (1999) 112 pp. [ISBN 1841140481]
Ryan, Louise. An obscure place. A history of Stowford in the parish of Harford, Devon., Harford: Louise Ryan, . 94 pp.: plates; illus., map. 23 cm. [BL: X.700/14662.]
Venables, Gillian. 'Tis as 'Twas: A Short History of Harford, Privately published: available from the author at Hall Farm, Harford, Ivybridge, Devon. PL21 0JH (2008) 99pp.
Worthy, Charles. Devonshire Parishes. Exeter: William Pollard (1887) - Vol. 2, pp. 217- 231.
Brown, Mike. Harford. In "Dartmoor Tithe Apportionments, Vol. 3". The Dartmoor Press (c1997) 16p.
Sullock, J.D.C. Militia of the South Hams - Part Two: Ashprington, Portlemouth, Chivelstone, Thurlestone, Ugborough, Modbury, Aveton Giffard, Harford, Kingston, Holbeton, Ermington, Ringmore and Bigbury.(1569AD). J.D.C. Sullock, Stockton, Cleveland (n.d.) 9p.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 16 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|