A parish in Hemyock Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.
"HEMYOCK, or Hemiock, is a considerable village, . . . is pleasantly situated on the south side of the river Culm, in the picturesque valley, near Culmbridge, 5 miles S. of Wellington, and 9 miles N.E. of Collumpton. Its parish is in Wellington Union, and comprises the hamlet and chapelry of CULM-DAVY, on the opposite acclivities of the valley, adjoining the lofty Black Down Hills, and the borders of Somersetshire. It also includes Millhays, Westown, and many scattered houses; and contains 1222 inhabitants, and 5437A. 2R. 15P. of land, belonging to many freeholders. Mrs. E.P. Simcoe is the largest proprietor, and also lady of the manor of Hemyock, . . . The manor of Culm-Davy is vested in the devisees under the will of the late Henry Pook, Esq., and was formerly held by the Widworthy, Wogan, Corbett, Bowerman, and other families. Hemyock Church (St. Mary,) is a large and handsome structure, with a tower and five bells. . . . The rectory, valued in K.B. at £32. 0s. 7½d., and in 1831 at £844, with a curacy of Culm-Davy attached to it, is in the patronage of Edward Wm. Leybourne Popham, Esq., of Littlecote, Wiltshire, and in the incumbency of the Rev. Francis Warre, LL.B., of Cheddon-Fitzpaine, Somersetshire. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A transcription of the Memorial Inscriptions for the Church of St Mary is held in the Society of Genealogist's Library, in Vol. 5 of Devon Memorial inscriptions (DE/M18).
Hemyock - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1635, and of the Bishops' Transcripts going back to 1602, are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
According to Wilcox, the pre-1635 coverage of BTs at the Devon Record Office is of Baprisms, Marriages and Burials for 1602, 1606, 1609-11, 1625-26, and 1633.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1635-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):
Devon and Cornwall Record Society, The Register of Baptisms, Marriages & Burials of the Parish of Hemyock, Devon, 1635-1837, with the Bishop's transcripts for the years 1602, 1606, 1609, 1610, 1611, 1617, 1625, 1626, 1633, 1636, and a list of the Rectors and Chaplain Priests. Transcr. A. J. P. Skinner. Exeter (1923), pp. xxiii. 255.
The Deanery of Dunkeswell, CD012, Devon Family History Society, Exeter (2007). [Contains indexes: Awliscombe - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Churchstanton - Baptisms 1813-1837, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1839; Clayhidon - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Combe Raleigh - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Dunkeswell - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1800-1837; Hemyock - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1635-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Luppitt - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1838, Burials 1813-1837; Sheldon - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1755-1836, Burials 1770-1837; Upottery - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837; Yarcombe - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837.]
Manfield, J. Devon Session Rolls, Midsummer 1693: endorsed Hemyock fire. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries 9 (1916-17) pp.165-157. [Raymond: List of those who lost houses and goods.]
Register of Freeholders - Haytor & Hemyock c1816, Exeter, Devon Family History Society, (Booklet & PDF D130). [Foreword]
Taylor, Anthony. Culm Valley Album, Bradninch, A. Taylor (1987) 191 pp. [Illustrations: 1880-1987] [Westcountry Studies Library xB/CUL 1/1880/TAY]
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
Ruttley, John. William Luttley, Devon Family Historian, vol. 132, (2009) pp.18-21. [On the Luttley/Ruttley families]
Ruttley, John. DNA Testing Proves Family Links, Devon Family Historian, vol. 146, (2013) pp.35-36. [The Luttley Family of Hemyock/Clayhidon]
Clist, Brian and Draycott, Chris. The Book of Hemyock (Halsgrove Community History Series), Halsgrove House, Lower Moor Way, Tiverton, Devon, EX16 6SS, UK, Halsgrove Publishing (2001) 184 pp. [ISBN 1841141097] [Index]
Dracott, Chris and Brian Clist. Hemyock: a village history. [Hemyock]: [C.Dracott?] (1986) 48p: ill. [Westcountry Studies Library - pB/HEM/0001/DRA]
Reichel, Oswald J. The hundreds of Hemyock and Halberton in early times, Trans. Devonshire Association, (1929) pp.33-63.
Sherwin, C. Hemyock Castle. Exeter Diocesan Architectural Soc. Trans. 3 ser, v. 4, [19--?] pp.47-55; plates.
Thorne, Robert Linham. The history of the Culme valley and its villages: Hemyock, Culmstock, Clayhidon, Dunkeswell, Churchstanton, Uffculme, Wellington, R.L. Thorne (1951) 26 pp. [Westcountry Studies Library DEV/0001/THO]
Hemyock: a village history. [Hemyock, Devon: Culm Valley Dairy Company, 1986].
Spreadsheet transcription of the Tithe Apportionments (1847?).
Hemyock Castle web-site - provides historical, village and travel information about Hemyock Castle, its former owners and Hemyock village.
Hemyock contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 29 May 2013 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|