|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"HOLCOMBE-BURNELL parish, about 4 miles W. by S. of Exeter, has 306 inhabitants, and 1836 acres of land. The houses are scattered, except in the village of LONGDOWN, which has only 14 dwellings, on the high road from Exeter to Moreton-Hampstead and is partly in Dunsford and Alphington parishes. The soil belongs to James Pitman, Esq., the Rev. R. Stephens, Mr. R. Mortimore, and several smaller freeholders. At Domesday Survey it belonged to Tetbald Fitz-Berners, or Bernerii, and it passed to the Kawl, Dennis, Baker, Campernowne, and other families. Culver House, the handsome seat of the Rev. Richd. Stephens, sub-dean of Exeter, was built by him in 1833, and is in the irregular Tuscan order of architecture. It is delightfully situated about 5 miles W. by S. of Exeter, and the high ground behind it has been very tastefully planted. . . . The old manor house of this parish is occupied by a farmer. It was formerly a large mansion, built by Sir Thos. Dennis, in the reign of Henry VIII. An ancient chapel, in an adjoining field, was taken down by Edw. Campernowne, Esq., in 1700. The Church (St. John,) was rebuilt, (all but the tower,) in 1843-'4, at the cost of £610. The tower has five bells, and in the chancel is a very handsome a1tar- tomb of Sir Thos. Dennis, who was lord chancellor, and an ancestor of the late Lord Rolle." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Wonford Hundred, the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.
Cresswell, B.F. Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon, (1912). [Extracts]
Holcombe Burnell - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
St George's Church: A short history. (1947) [Westcountry Studies Library]
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1840, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1753-1812 - for details see their book list.
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
List of Incumbents, provided by John Williams.
The Deanery of Dunsford: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Ashton, Bridford, Chagford, Cheriton Bishop, Christow, Doddiscombsleigh, Drewsteignton, Dunsford, Gidleigh, Hittisleigh, Holcombe Burnell, South Tawton, Spreyton, Tedburn St. Mary, Throwleigh and Whitestone. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Ashton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1740-1837; Bridford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Chagford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Cheriton Bishop Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1841, Bur: 1813-1837; Christow Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1757-1844, Bur: 1813-1837; Doddiscombsleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1780-1837; Drewsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Dunsford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Gidleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1748-1812 (BT's), Mar: 1814-1837, Bur: 1813-1884; Hittisleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Holcombe Burnell Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1753-1837; South Tawton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Spreyton Bapt: 1803-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Tedburn St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Throwleigh Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Whitestone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Conservation Area Appraisal for Holcombe Burnell - an interesting account of the area, with numerous photographs and maps.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Daniel Morgan, who invites queries and lookup requests.
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Holcombe Burnell from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Freeston, Ted. Leviger's tale of a glorious piece of Devon: the parish of Holcombe Burnell and its village of Longdown [Holcombe Burnell Par.Council] (1996) 53p: ill,maps. [Westcountry Studies Library - pB/HOL 2/0001/FRE]Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 16 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|