|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"TORRINGTON, (LITTLE) a pleasant village, nearly 2 miles S. of Great Torrington, has in its parish 588 souls, and 2880 acres of land, including the village of Taddiport, on the south-west side of the river Torridge opposite Great Torrington. The manor of Little Torrington belongs to the Stevens family, and that of Potheridge to the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle; but several smaller freeholders have estates here. Cross House, which was long the residence of the Stevens family, is now the pleasant seat of Sir Trevor Wheler, Bart., whose baronetcy was created in 1660." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Shebbear Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]
History of Little Torrington Church, and The Chapel of St Mary Magdalen, Taddiport.
Cresswell, Beatrix F. Little Torrington: The Church and Manor Lands and the Magdalen Hospital of Taddiport - With an introduction and additional notes by W.R. Hooper, Exeter, Southwood (Isca) Ltd (1937) 36 pp.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1672, and of the Bishops' Transcripts going back to 1597, are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1597-1812, 1668-1838 and Marriages 1598-1812. (These entries are in part from Bishops' Transcripts.)
The Deanery of Torrington - An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Ashreigny, Beaford, Buckland Filleigh, Dolton, Dowland, Great Torrington, Huish, Iddesleigh, Langtree, Little Torrington, Meeth, Merton, Newton St. Petrock, Peters Marland, Petrockstowe, Roborough, Shebbear, Sheepwash, St. Giles in the Wood and Winkleigh. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2010) . [Ashreigny Bapt: 1813-1838, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Beaford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Buckland Filleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Dolton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1838, Bur: 1813-1837; Dowland Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1840, Bur: 1742-1837; Great Torrington Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Huish Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Iddesleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Langtree Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Little Torrington Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Meeth Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Merton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Newton St. Petrock Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Peters Marland Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Petrockstowe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Roborough Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Shebbear Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Sheepwash Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1838, Bur: 1813-1837; St Giles in the Wood Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Winkleigh Bapt: 1813-1853, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837.]
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
McNeile, John. Bypassing the Parish Registers, Devon Family Historian, no. 153, (2015) pp.9-10. [Thomas Fisher, Rector from 1745-1772]
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Little Torrington from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Cresswell, Beatrix F. Notes on the history of the parish and church of Little Torrington, with the Magdalen Hospital at Taddiport. Exeter: Southwoods (Isca) (1937) 36p, plates: ill, port.
Little Torrington contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Colby, F.T. Will of Richard Coplestone of Woodland in the parish of Little Torrington. Miscellanea Genealogia et Heraldica N.S. 1 (1874) pp.202-203.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 17 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|