|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"LUFFINCOT, a small parish in the Tamar valley, 6 miles S. of Holsworthy, has only 93 souls, and 990 acres of land, mostly the property of Miss Venner and John Spettigue, Esq., who are joint owners of the manor, and patrons of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £5. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £97. The Rev. Franke Parker, M.A., is the rector, and has 61 acres of glebe, and a good residence, rebuilt and enlarged a few years ago. The tithes were commuted, in 1842, for £68. 5s. per annum. Sir Wm. Molesworth has an estate in the parish. The Church (S. James,) is a small ancient structure. DIRECTORY :- Rev. F. Parker, M.A., Rectory: John and Edmund Spettigue, gentlemen, West Peek; A. Trible, farmer, Barton: and Wm Parkin, smith. " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.
Whitmore, J.B. Devonshire Monumental Inscriptions, MS at Society of Genealogists (1951). [Extracts]
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]
Luffincott - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Luffincott church has been declared redundant. In December 1979 this church was put into the hands of the Redundant Churches Fund, now the The Churches Conservation Trust and is maintained by them as an example of rural tranquillity. During 1981-82 the main roof was strengthened and re-slated, windows repaired, new drainage installed and the tower parapet rebuilt. Internal replastering and limewashing was carried out during 1983. The tower was rendered and limewashed and the walls of the church repointed in 1992. [Information supplied by John Williams]
Scott, J.G.M. St James Church - Luffincott - Devon, Devon Family Historian, vol. 131, (August 2009) pp.9. [Extract from his guidebook to the church, published by The Churches Conservation Trust.]
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1653, and of the Bishops' Transcripts going back to 1608, are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1608-1812 Marriages 1610, 1633-1636, 1650-1655, 1670-1753.
An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Abbots Bickington, Ashwater, Black Torrington, Bradford, Bradworthy, Bridgerule, Clawton, Cookbury, Halwill, Hollacombe, Holsworthy, Luffincott, Milton Damerel, Pancrasweek, Pyworthy, Sutcombe, Tetcott, Thornbury, West Putford and Holsworthy Weslyan Burials. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850), Kelly's Directory of Devonshire (1902) and A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis (1831), CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2014). [Abbots Bickington Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1770-1833 Bur: 1813-1837; Ashwater Bapt: 1813-1841 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Black Torrington Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Bradford Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1705-1837; Bradworthy Bapt: 1813-1838 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Bridgerule Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Clawton Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1800-1837; Cookbury Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1756-1837 Bur: 1813-1841; Halwill Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1843; Hollacombe Bapt: 1813-1898 Mar: 1757-1837 Bur: 1813-1852; Holsworthy Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1860 Bur: 1813-1837; Holsworthy Weslyan Bapt: 1812-1831; Luffincott Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1756-1837 Bur: 1814-1840; Milton Damerel Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1761-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Pancrasweek Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1756-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Pyworthy Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1838; Sutcombe Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1800-1837; Tetcott Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1836 Bur: 1813-1837; Thornbury Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1756-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; West Putford Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1838.]
Burials from Bishops Transcripts: Luffincott 1814-1840. [Devon]: Devon Family History Society (2013).
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Kirsty Gray, who invites queries and lookup requests. (Resources: PRs on Fiche.)
Gray, Kirsty. An Obsession . . . Not just with Family History, Devon Family Historian, vol. 131, (August 2009) pp.8. [About the Silifant family, and plans for a general book about the villages of Luffincott and Tetcott.]
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Luffincott from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Williams, H.Fulford. Notes on the parish of Luffincott, Devon. Typescript (1964) 6p. [Westcountry Studies Library - sB/LUF/0001/WIL]
Luffincott contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Luffincott Apprentices Register - 1808-1827, Exeter, Devon Family History Society, (Booklet & PDF A278). [Foreword]Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 17 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|