Also known as Marley. A parish in Witheridge Hundred, and the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple and Diocese of Exeter.
"MARIANSLEIGH, or Mary Ansleigh, a small village on an eminence above the Mole valley, nearly 1 mile S.S.E. of South Molton, has in its parish 338 souls, and 1740 acres of land, including the hamlets of Alswear and Kemp Town, and many scattered houses. . . . Sir H.R.F. Davie, Bart., is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the parish, and the rest belongs to Mr. Wm. Toms, Mr. F.A. Cockram, and several smaller proprietors. Mr. Cockram owns Kemp Town, and is about to build several new dwellings there. The Church (St Mary,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells. The Rev. Geo. James Gould, of Nympton St. George, is the incumbent, and the patronage is in the Charity Trustees of Exeter, as trustees of John Davye's Almshouses in that city, founded in the 42nd of Elizabeth. . . . In the village is an Independent Chapel, built in 1840. The National School was erected by the late Sir H.P. Davie, Bart. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]
Mariansleigh - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1727, and of the Bishops' Transcripts going back to 1579, are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1597-1837 and Marriages 1598-1606, 1629-1634, 1668-1700, 1712-1837. (These entries are in part from Bishops' Transcripts.)
Burials 1837 - 1856, 1857 - 1876, 1877 - 1896 and 1897 - 1916, provided by Devon Heritage.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
This parish is one of the growing number of places for which the Devon Heritage website provides census or parish register transcriptions, articles, and/or illustrations, etc.
Tull, Christopher S. Mariansleigh Church and people (2nd. ed.) [Bishopsnympton]: C.S.Tull (1981) 28p: ill. [Westcountry Studies Library - p726.5/MAR/TUL]
Mariansleigh Millenium Group (Thelma Avery, Norma Bona, Barbara Elliott, Ginny Hobart, Mike Samspon and John Usmar). Mariansleigh: The Parish Through the Ages. Printed by Burridge Litho, Witheridge, Devon [2000?] 110 pp. [Contains photographs of all the houses in the parish, memories of bygone days from the local residents, brief sections on various aspects of the history of the parish and many transcriptions of items on the parish extracted from the South Molton Gazette]
Protestation Return of 1641/42 from Devon Heritage.
Mariansleigh contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Ryall, David. Lest We Forget, War memorials around South Molton. South Molton Archive, 68pp. [ISBN 0 951236 1 4] [Provides an indexed list of names]
Abstract of the will of Robert Southcombe (1672), provided by Fay Sampson.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 15 Feb 2009 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|