This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.   

Genuki Logo    Meavy Meavy Genuki Contents GENUKI
Contents & Search
 

 
 

MEAVY

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]

"MEAVY, a parish in the hundred of Roborough, county Devon, 7 miles S.E. of Tavistock, its post town, and 10 N. of Plymouth. The line of railway to Plymouth passes through the parish. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Mew. It is wholly agricultural, and extends along the riverbank. The soil is of a light nature, with a ferruginous subsoil. The surface is undulated. Nearly a third of the land is open and unproductive common, or coppice wood. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £220. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter, value £210, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient stone structure, with a square embattled tower, containing six bells. The parochial charities consist of the interest of £300, bequeathed by the late Sir Ralph Lopes. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is held. The Baptists have a place of worship. Near the church is a cross of great antiquity. The ruins of an old seat of the Drake family, of which was the great admiral Sir Francis, are in this parish. Sir Massey Lopes, Bart., is lord of the manor. A fair for cattle and pleasure is held annually."

Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

[Last updated at 19.47 on Monday, 02 June 2003, Gaz3 v01.34, by Brian Randell. ©2003]