A parish in South Molton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
"MOLLAND is an irregularly built village, at the foot and on the side of a bold acclivity, 7 miles E.N.E. of South Molton, and W. of Dulverton; and its large parish contains 550 souls, and 6168 acres of land, including about 2275 acres of open common and moorland, rising in lofty hills between and near the sources of the river Yeo and the Duns Brook, the latter of which divides it from Somersetshire. There is a copper mine here, but it has been closed during the last three years. Sir Robert George Throckmorton, Bart., owns nearly all the parish, and is lord of the manor of Molland Bottreaux, anciently held by the Bottreaux family, and afterwards by the Hungerfords, whose heiress carried it in marriage to a younger branch of the Courtenays, who were seated here till 1732, when their heiress brought it to the Throckmortons. The Bottreaux family and succeeding owners had a mansion and park at West Molland. The manor house of Molland Champeaux, or Champion, was long the seat of the Columbs, and afterwards of the Courtenays. These fine old mansions are now occupied by Messrs. James and John Quartly, who are noted for their fine breed of North Devon cattle, for which they have obtained many prizes. The parish has much fine grass land, suitable for breeding, though the soil is generally thin, and rests upon rock. The Church (St. Mary,) is a handsome structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower and four bells. It contains several neat monuments, belonging to the Courtenay and other families." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]
Molland - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Ayre, Henry G. The parish and church of Saint Mary Molland. Exeter: Quickprint Service [1970?] 8p. [Westcountry Studies Library - p726.5/MOL/AYR]
Lloyd, Julian. The church of Saint Mary, Molland. [Molland]: [J. Lloyd?] (1979) 6p. [Westcountry Studies Library]
Wilkin, W.H. The Vicars of Knowstone-cum-Molland, 1767-1915. Trans. Devon Assoc. 64 (1932) pp.509-518.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1538 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1838 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1541-1837 and Marriages 1538-1581, 1576-1601, 1646-1712, 1723-1837.
Phear, Sir J.B. Molland Accounts; with an introduction on the evolution of parishes. Trans. Devon Assoc. vol. 35 (1903) pp.198-238. [Westcountry Studies Library] [Index]
Sellman, R.R. Molland, Devon: edited transcript of parish registers to 1837, with family reconstitutions and relevant evidence. Typescript (1991) 102p. [Westcountry Studies Library - sx929.3/MOL/1538]
The Deanery of South Molton: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Bishop's Nympton, Cheldon, Creacombe, Cruwys Morchard, East Anstey, East Woolfardisworthy, East Worlington, George Nympton, King's Nympton, Knowstone, Mariansleigh, Meshaw, Molland, North Molton, Oakford, Puddington, Rackenford, Romansleigh, Rose Ash, Satterleigh, South Molton, Stoodleigh, Templeton, Thelbridge, Twitchen, Warkleigh, Washford Pyne, West Anstey, West Worlington and Witheridge. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850) and Kelly's Directory of Devonshire (1902). CD-ROM 062, Exeter, Devon FHS (2015). [Bishop's Nympton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Cheldon Bapt: 1813-1843, Mar: 1755-1835, Bur: 1813-1841; Creacombe Bapt: 1814-1902, Mar: 1759-1835, Bur: 1813-1850; Cruwys Morchard Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Anstey Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1688-1839; East Woolfardisworthy Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1840, Bur: 1813-1837; East Worlington Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; George Nympton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1790-1837; King's Nympton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Knowstone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1740-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Mariansleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1757-1837, Bur: 1813-1838; Meshaw Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1756-1836, Bur: 1813-1838; Molland Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1838; North Molton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Oakford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1840; Puddington Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1759-1836, Bur: 1740-1837; Rackenford Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Romansleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1730-1837; Rose Ash Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1850; Satterleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; South Molton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Stoodleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Templeton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Thelbridge Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1853; Twitchen Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Warkleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1851; Washford Pyne Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1756-1836, Bur: 1813-1840; West Anstey Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1745-1838; West Worlington Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1846, Bur: 1813-1851; Witheridge Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1835]
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
Reichel, O.J. The One-Time Hundreds of North Molton and Molland in Early Times, Trans. Devonshire Association, vol. Extra volume, (1936) 11pp.
Ryall, David. Lest We Forget, War memorials around South Molton. South Molton Archive, 68pp. [ISBN 0 951236 1 4] [Provides an indexed list of names]
Will of John Pincombe (1840) and William Pyncombe (1642) transcribed by Elizabeth Kipp.
Will of Henry Loosemoore (1839) transcribed by Ros Dunning.
South Molton and District Archive Local History Society web-site (archived copy) - provides details of archive holdings for the twenty-eight parishes in what used to be the South Molton Rural District, lists of publications, etc.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 27 May 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|