"NEWTON FERRERS is a pleasant scattered village, on rising ground, at the head of a small creek from the estuary of the Yealm, 7 miles S.E. by E. of Plymouth, and 2 miles from the sea-coast. Its parish contains 778 souls, and 2991 acres of land, extending two miles northward along the east side of the estuary, and including the small hamlet of Torr, and a number of scattered farms. There are oyster-beds in the estuary, belonging to companies in London and Southampton; and a variety of other fish are taken here. The manor of Newton anciently belonged to the Ferrers family, whose co-heiress carried it in marriage to Lord St. John. It afterwards passed to the Bonville, Copleston, Hele, and other families. It now belongs in moieties to H.R. Roe and John Holberton, Esqrs., the latter of whom has a pleasant seat, called Torr House, where his family has resided for many generations. . . . The Church (Holy Cross,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells, and was repaired and new seated about 60 years ago. Near Puslinch House stood the ancient chapel of St. Toly (Olave,) but its remains were removed some years ago. The rectory . . . is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Yonge, B.A., . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Ermington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1600 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Name listings extracted from the parish registers covering baptisms 1600-1905), marriages (1600-1834), and burials (1600-1905), provided by Donald Curkeet.
Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):
An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the Deanery of Plympton. with photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850 and The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2007). [Brixton: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Cornwood: Bapt (1813-1840), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1838), Ermington: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1838), Bur (1813-1837 ), Harford: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1755-1837), Bur (1813-1838), Holbeton: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Ivybridge: Bapt (1835-1840), Mar (1835-1840), Bur (1836-1840), Kingston: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1836), Bur (1813-1837), Modbury: Bapt (1813-1840), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Newton Ferrers: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1836), Bur (1813-1837)), North Huish: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Plympton St. Mary: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Plympton St. Maurice: Bapt (1813-1840), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Plymstock: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Revelstoke: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837), Shaugh Prior: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1835), Ugborough: Bapt (1813-1840), Mar (1754-1841), Bur (1813-1837), Wembury: Bapt (1813-1839), Mar (1612-1837), Bur (1813-1840), Yealmpton: Bapt (1813-1840), Mar (1754-1837), Bur (1813-1837)]
Barber, Chips. Newton Ferrers and Noss Mayo. Pinhoe, Exeter: Obelisk Publications. [ISBN 1899073418].
Bowen, David. Portrait of a village - Newton Ferrers and Noss Mayo. Devon Life vol. 5 no. 37, (1969) pp.18-21; ill.
Transcription provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Deborah O'Brien, who invites queries and lookup requests. (Resources: Using PR transcriptions of the Late Donald E. Curkeet)
Rowe, J.B. Upton pedigree, Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica 2nd series 2, 1888, pp. 161-62.
Upton: extracts from parish registers, Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica 2nd series 3, 1890, pp. 197-202 & 221-26. [Raymond: From registers of Brixham, Newton Ferrers, et al; also monumental inscriptions from Brixham.]
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Newton Ferrers and Newton and Noss from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Clamp, Arthur L. Newton Ferrers and Noss Mayo remembered. Plymouth: A.L.Clamp (1986) 24p. ill. [Westcountry Studies Library - pxB/NEW 2/1900/CLA]
Grimes, C.H.D. History of Newton Ferrers. Plymouth: Clarke, Doble & Co. (1946) 35p. [Westcountry Studies Library - pB/NEW 2/0001/GRI]
Yonge, C.B. A Short History of Newton Ferrers. (1924) [Westcountry Studies Library, Plymouth Library]
Your Devon: Newton Ferrers. Devon Family Historian No.90 (May 1999) pp. 32-37 [Extract from White's 1850 Directory, plus photographs, of Newton Ferrers and Noss Mayo]
Morshead, J.Y.A. A history of Puslinch. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 48, (1916) pp.180-188.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 17 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|