|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"HUISH, (NORTH) is a small scattered village, picturesquely situated on the western aclivities of the Avon valley, 5 miles E. of Ivybridge, and 7 miles W.S.W. of Totnes. Its parish contains 483 souls, and 2662A. 2R. 27P. of land, including Lupridge, and part of Newhouse hamlet. The manor, formerly held by the Damarell, Trenchard, and other families, was purchased by Richard King, Esq., in 1786, and now belongs to Thomas King, Esq., of the Manor House, which has been modernised and improved. Wm. Bowden Esq., owns Norris, Coombe, and other estates ; and Blackhall is the handsome residence of Jas. Cornish, Esq., and has a stuccoed front and Doric portico. Boterford, now called Butterford, is a large mansion, formerly the seat of a family of its own name, and afterwards of the Strodes and Palks, the latter of whom rebuilt the mansion about 1790. It is now occupied, and belongs to the represenattives of the late T. Kingwell. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower, containing five bells, and crowned by a spire. . . . The rectory, valued in K.B. at £28. 18s. 10½d., is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Allen, B.A., who has a large and handsome residence, with beautiful grounds. The glebe is 74A. 3R. 35P., and the tithes were commuted in 1849 for £490 per annum. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Stanborough Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Avonwick, whose church was built in 1878, is split between the parishes of Diptford, South Brent, North Huish and Ugborough. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.
Index to Monumental Inscriptions, from the Parishes of the South Hams website.
Name index to the 1841 and the 1861 census, from the Parishes of the South Hams website.
North Huish - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837 - for details see their book list.
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
Index to Baptisms 1708 - 1833, from the Parishes of the South Hams website.
Transcription provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk for this parish is Gail Pullybank, who invites queries and lookup requests. (Resources: PRs on Fiche.)
The South Hams Genealogical Information Resource website offers lookups in their records concerning this parish.
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about North Huish from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Scott, Christine. A Story of North Huish and Avonwick, C. Scott, North Huish [ISBN 978-0-9567784-0-6] [Further details]
C., R.W. The Yeo household-Book. Notes and Gleanings - Devon and Cornwall 4 (1891) pp.45-48.
Chiswell, Ann. North Huish Land Tax Assessment 1747. Devon Family Historian 49 (Feb. 1989) pp. 20-22.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated - 1 Jan 2016 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|