In Ottery Hundred, Archdeaconry of Exeter. According to Peskett, several modern parishes have been formed by subdivision of this parish: Escot (1840, including also a part of Talaton): Tipton St John (1840); Westhill (1863 but register starts in 1843); Alfrington (church built in 1849 as a chapel of ease, later a modern parish with registers from 1883).
"OTTERY St. MARY is an ancient and irregularly built market town, of about 3500 inhabitants, picturesquely seated on the east side of the river Otter, sheltered on the east and west by boldly swelling hills, and distant 11½ miles E. by N. of Exeter, . . . Its Parish had only 2415 inhabitants in 1801, but in 1831 they had increased to 3849, and in 1841 to 4194 souls, residing in the town, and in the seven tithings of Alphington, Cadhay, Fluxton, Gosford, Rill, Tipton, and Wiggaton, which extend from one to three miles on all sides of the town, . . . The parish includes also the hamlets Taleford, Combelake, and Metcombe, and many scattered farm houses, &c. . . . The woolen manufacture which formerly flourished here is extinct, but there is in the town a large silk factory, employing about 400 hands. . . . Sir John Kennaway, Bart., of Escot House, is lord of the manor, but a great part of the parish belongs to Sir Thomas Hare, Bart., Sir F.H. Bathurst, the Coleridge family, the Rev. Dr. Cornish, R.J. Marker, and many other freeholders. . . . The Church [of St. Mary] is one of the largest and handsomest parochial churches in the county. . . The discharged vicarage . . . is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. S.W. Cornish, D.D., who is also head master of the Grammar School. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Exeter Diocedan Architectural Society. The late Reverend F.B Dickinson. M.A. Exeter Diocesan Architectural Soc. Trans. 3 ser, v. 2, (1907) pp.130 - 131; plate.
Russell, Ann. One of Devon's illustrious sons - Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Devon Life vol. 4 no. 29, (1968) pp.28-29; ill. [Writer, 1772-1834]
Stiling, Marjorie. Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Devon Life vol. 9 no. 73 (1972) pp.22-24; ill. [Writer, 1772-1834]
Cornish, S. [Church MIs]. In Short Notes on the History and Parish of Ottery St Mary, pp.20-23, (n.d.).
Transcript by Ros Haywood of a census of inhabitants of Ottery St. Mary, c.1700, listing householders and household numbers, held at the Devon Record Office (DRO 3327 A-1/PZ 4).
Ottery St Mary - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Parish church website.
St Mary's Church - photograph and brief history.
The Church Monuments Society website provides photographs and transcripts of the monuments from a small but growing set of Devon churches, including Ottery St Mary Parish Church.
Coleridge, F.G. An Account of the Church of Ottery St Mary. Exeter Diocesan Architectural and Archaeological Society. [Printed by I. Shrimpton, Oxford 1842] 107pp. [Raymond: Includes list of vicars, MIs and some PR extracts.] [Index]
Coleridge, John Duke. On the restoration of the church of S. Mary the Virgin at Ottery S. Mary. Exeter Diocesan Architectural Soc. Trans. 1 ser, v. 4, (1853) pp 189-217. [Index]
Cornish, Sidney W[illiam]. Short Notes on the Church and Parish of Ottery St. Mary, Devon, W. Pollard (1869) 64 pp. [Full text] [Index]
Dickinson, F.B. A lecture on the history of the church of St. Mary of Ottery delivered at the Church Institute on 4th March, 1897. - 6th ed. Ottery: The Church Corporation (1953) 43p: ill, folded plan. [Westcountry Studies Library p726.5/OTT/DIC]
Hayward, John. A Heraldic Tour at Ottery St Mary: Coats of Arms to Colour, Ottery St Mary Church.
Markland, J.H. Some remarks on the numerous small apertures in the ceiling of the church of S. Mary, Ottery. Exeter Diocesan Architectural Soc. Trans. 1 ser, v. 4, (1853) pp.60- 68. [Index]
Tucker, G.M. Ottery Saint Mary Congregational Church: a short history. Exeter: William Chudley (1962) 31p. [Westcountry Studies Library - 285.8/OTT/TUC]
Whitham, John A. The Church of St Mary of Ottery, [The Church] (n.d.) 24 pp. [Index]
Whitley, H M. Inventories of the collegiate churches of the Holy Cross, Crediton, and Our Blessed Lady of Ottery. Trans. Dev. Assoc. vol. 34 (1902), pp. 551-585. [Index]List of vicars of Ottery St Mary, from Lora Besler.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1601, and of the Bishops' Transcripts going back to 1636, are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):
Dickinson, F.B. Our Parish Registers. Exeter Diocesan Architectural and Archaeological Society Transactions 3rd series, 2 (1901) 6-19.
Dickinson, F.B. On an Old Register in the Parish Chest of Ottery St Mary. Exeter Diocesan Architectural and Archaeological Society Transactions 3rd series, 1 (1892) 157-164.
Ottery St Mary. Parish. The Registers of baptisms, marriages and burials of the Parish of Ottery St Mary, Devon,1601-1837. 1908-29 [Exeter Univ. Lib.]
The Deanery of Aylesbeare: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Aylesbeare, Bicton, Branscombe, Broadclyst, Clyst Honiton, Clyst St.George, Clyst St.Mary, Colaton Raleigh, East Budleigh, Farringdon, Harpford, Huxham, Littleham, Lympstone, Otterton, Ottery St. Mary, Pinhoe, Poltimore, Rockbeare, Salcombe Regis, Sidbury, Sidmouth, Sowton, Stoke Canon, Topsham, Venn Ottery, Whimple, Withycombe Raleigh and Woodbury. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850 and Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England 1844, CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2012). [Aylesbeare Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Bicton Bapt: 1813-1843, Mar: 1755-1835, Bur: 1813-1852, Bur: 1725-1845 (BTs); Branscombe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1545-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Broadclyst Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Clyst Honiton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Clyst St. George Bapt: 1813-1837, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Clyst St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1756-1840, Bur: 1813-1837; Colaton Raleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Budleigh Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Budleigh Salem Chapel, Bur: 1832-1837; Farringdon Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1852; Glenorchy Independent Exmouth, Bur: 1784-1818; Harpford Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1809-1837; Huxham Bapt: 1813-1852, Mar: 1758-1836, Bur: 1813-1864; Littleham (near Exmouth) Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Lympstone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Otterton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Ottery St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Pinhoe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1844, Bur: 1813-1838; Poltimore Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Rockbeare Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Salcombe Regis Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Sidbury Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1830, Bur: 1813-1837; Sidmouth Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Sowton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Stoke Canon Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Topsham Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Venn Ottery Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Whimple Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Withycombe Raleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Woodbury Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Tourist information, history, etc. from EastDevon.Net.
Tipton St John Village Design Statement and West Hill Village Design Statement, from East Devon District Council.
West Hill Village website - very extensive.
Harris, Rendel. Up the Otter River, University of London Press, Ltd. (1934) 43 pp.
Ottery St. Mary town guide. Ottery St. Mary Town Council (1987) 28p: col.ill, map. [Westcountry Studies Library - sB/OTT 7/1987/OTT]
Ottery Tar Barrel Ceremony - from Devon24 (archived copy).
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Ros Haywood, who invites queries and lookup requests.
The Haydon Family Genealogy and History from Devon, England - "as first published in London in 1888 by Jabez Haskell Hayden".
Coleridge, Bernard J.S. 2nd Baron. The story of a Devonshire house - 2nd ed. London: T. Fisher Unwin (1906) 331p, plates: ill, ports. [Online text]
Coleridge, Lord. Vaughan of Ottery St Mary, Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 11, 1920, pp.40-41.
Evans, William N. Reminiscences of the Evans family, formerly of Ottery St. Mary. Manchester: R.G. Evans & Co (1894) 20p. [Westcountry Studies Library - p920/EVA]
Harris, Edward M. Ottery St Mary origin of Thomas Harris. New England Hist. & Gen. Reg. 27, 1973, pp. 27-8. [17th c.]
Rogers, W.H.H. Haydon, of Woodbury and Ottery St Mary, etc., Devon. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 1:8, (1900) pp.225-240, plates: ill (2). [Index]
Rogers, William Henry Hamilton. Haydon of Woodbury and Ottery St. Mary. Exeter: James G.Commin (1901) 16p, plates: ill. [Westcountry Studies Library - px929.2/HAY]
Rogers, W.H.H. The Dorset chapel and Knightstone; Bonville and Sherman; Ottery St. Mary, Notes and Queries for Somerset anmd Dorset 7, 1901, pp. 187-91 & 235-43, See also p. 322. Reprinted in his Archaeological papers relating to the counties of Somerset, Wilts, Hants and Devon. [ ]. The author, 1902.
Skinner, A.J. Mercer of Ottery St Mary. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 9, 1917, pp. 164-72.
Skinner, A.J. Vaughan of Ottery St Mary, Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 10, 1918-19, pp. 98-109.
Skinner, A.J.P. Vaughan of Ottery St. Mary. Colyton: The author [1934?] p. [Westcountry Studies Library - 929.2/VAU]
Tapley-Soper, H. The Davy family of Ottery St Mary and Topsham, Devon, Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 23 (5), 1948, pp. 139-40.
Toohey, Timothy J. Piety and the professions: Sir John Coleridge and his sons. London: Garland (1987) x, 359p. [ISBN 0824078349]
Yarnall, Ellis. Wordsworth and the Coleridges with other memories literary and political. London: Macmillan (1899) ix, 331p. [Coleridge family]
Warburton-Cox, A.F. Coke of Thorne in Ottery St. Mary, Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 22 (8), 1943, pp. 191-2
Coleridge, Lord. Vaughan of Ottery St Mary. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 11 (1920-21) pp.44041. [Transcript]
A summary account of the history of Ottery St Mary, from East Devon Net.
Ottery St Mary - The Great Fire of 1866, compiled by Robynne Lozier.
Coleridge, Lord. The history of the town of Ottery St. Mary. London: Hutchings & Crowsley (1897) 31p: ill, ports. [Westcountry Studies Library - B/OTT 7/0001/COL] [Index]
Coleridge, Lord. "Ottery St. Mary and its memories", in Memorials of old Devonshire (ed. Snell, Frederick John), London: Bemrose and sons, limited, (1904) xi, 305 pp.
Cornish, Sidney William. Short notes on the church and parish of Ottery St. Mary, Devon (New ed., revised by F.F. Cornish). Exeter, England: Bland Bros.,1928, 70 pp. [Full text]
Edwards, E. Devonshire - Containing Historical, Biographical and Descriptive Notices of Exmouth & its Neighbourhood, including the Exe, Littleham, Withycombe Raleigh, East Budleigh, Otterton and Bicton, Sidmouth and Sidbury, Gittisham, Ottery St. Mary, Lympstone, and Topsham; with Notices of the Pedigree of the Rolle, Raleigh, and Courtney Families, &c. Contains Notices of some Picturesque and Antiquarian Excursions in the neighbourhood of the Exe Estuary, and along the adjacent coast, including Budleigh Salterton, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Torquay, &c., Exeter, S. Drayton & Sons (1867) 362 pp.
Gentry, F.D. Take Care of your Fire and Candle [11 fires in Devon towns]. Devon Books (1985) 138p. [ISBN 0861147596] [Devon FHS Library 929.35]
Godfrey, Brian. Skinners Ash Farm and Fenny Bridges: a short story of Sknners Ash Farm and the hamlet of Fenny Bridges. Fenny Bridges: Brian Godfrey (1994) 20p: ill. [Westcountry Studies Library - pB/OTT 7/0001/GOD]
Gosling, Gerald and Harris, Peter. The Book of Ottery St Mary, Halsgrove (2004) 160 pp. [ISBN 1 84114 333 2] [Index]
Grant, W.C. Controversy over a Much Vexed Question. (1894) [Torquay Library]
Harris, J. Ottery St Mary 1866 Devon Family Historian, No. 69, Feb. 1994, pp. 36-39.[Account of a disastrous fire that destroyed a quarter of the town, with many names listed.]
Packer, Roy. Long ago in Ottery. Exmouth: E.R.D.Publications (1983) 168p: ill. [ISBN 0900345373] [Index]
Sadler, Nigel. Ottery St Mary Through Time, Amberley Publishing (2013) 96 pp. [ISBN-13: 978-1445609751]
Whitham, John A. Ottery St Mary: a Devonshire town. Chichester, Sussex: Phillimore,1984, xiii, 124 pp.,  p. of plates: ill. [ISBN: 0850335264] [Lookups]
Tipton past and present. [Tipton St. John]: Tipton Times (1978) 32p. [Westcountry Studies Library - pB/OTT/0001/TIP]
The Golden Jubillee Book of Ottery St Mary 1887-2002, Ottery St Mary Heritage Society (2002). [Devon FHS Library 942.35/OTT]
Coleridge, Lord. The Story of a Devonshire House, (1905) pp.329.
Elliot, John. Homes and gardens - Cadhay, Ottery St. Mary. Devon Life vol. 8 no. 61 (1971) pp.14-16; ill. [1550-1971]
Linehan, Catherine Durning. Cadhay and the Whetham Family. Dorchester: The Author (1975) 22p, 8p of pls [Westcountry Studies Library - p728.8/OTT/LIN]
Rose-Troup, F. Mediaeval customs and tenures in the manor of Ottery St.Mary. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 66, (1934) pp.211-233.
Whetham, C.D. & Whetham, M. (eds.) A Manor Book of Ottery St Mary. Longmans Green & Co. (1913) 184p.
Cadhay. Printed by James Townsend & Sons Limited, Exeter. 24p. [Detailed Name Index]
Map of the area from OldeMaps (circa 1950).
Names and Occupations from Robson's Directory of Devon (1839), transcribed by Robynne Lozier.
Names from the White's 1878/79 Trade Directory, provided by Selena Gillian.
Some details and a selected index of the Tipton Times nos. 1-100, 1969-1987, [Tipton St. John], [Tipton Times] (1987) 19 pp. [Westcountry Studies Library p070/TIP/TIP]
Will of Margaret Cornish (1807), transcribed by Ros Dunning.
Holmes, G.E.J. The King's School: a history. Ottery St. Mary: The School (1963) 96p, plates: ill. [Westcountry Studies Library 373/OTT/HOL]
Information about the Ottery St Mary Heritage Society, and back issues of its quarterly journal.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 27 Jun 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|