|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"[Plymouth] is included within the parishes of St. Andrew and Charles; the former containing in the town portion 23,564, and the latter 12,963, inhabitants. The living of St. Andrew's is a vicarage, with the chapelries of Pennycross, East Stonehouse, and St. Budeaux, valued in the King's books at £12.15.5.; net income, £920; impropriators, Representatives of E. P. Bastard, Esq. The church, a spacious and handsome structure in the later English style, has been repaired and improved, at an expense of nearly £6000; it has a lofty square embattled tower, erected in the year 1440, and the interior is finely arranged, and coloured in imitation of granite. " [From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England (1844)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Roborough Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and Diocese of Exeter.
Bryant, Elizabeth. A Notable Career, Devon Family Historian, vol. 107, (2003) pp.15-17. [John Robert William Thompson, b. 1857]
Brown, Mike. Guide Notes to Monuments in Devon Churches & Graveyards: Plymouth St Budeaux, Plymouth St Andrew's. The Dartmoor Press. 16pp. [Budockshead, Cole]
Jewitt, Llewellynn Frederick William. A History of Plymouth, etc. London, Plymouth [printed] (1873) 712pp.. [BL - 2366.dd.5] [Full text] [Contains St Andrews MIs at pp. 507-533.]
St Andrew - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Plymouth St Andrews Church web-site - includes a page on the history of the church.
St Catherine, a chapel of ease (1823), became a parish with registers from 1897. Other relatively early parishes created from Plymouth St Andres: Christ Church, Eton Place, was erected and became a parish in 1846; Holy Trinity, Southside Street, was erected in 1842 and became a parish in 1852; St James the Less, Clarendon Place, became a parish in 1847. See also the parish of St Budeaux.
Blood, Rev. William. The Gospel The Power of God: A Sermon Preached on the Destruction, by Fire of "The Amazon" - By William Blood, of Clifton Parish Church; and at St. Andrew's Chapel, Plymouth, the first Sunday after his landing, on having escaped from the burning ship. Reported by W.V. Edsall, short-hand writer, London: Hamilton & Co., Bristol: J.M. Jones (1852) 54 pp.
Fermer, Michael T. and Parkinson, John F. A short history and pictorial guide to the Church of St. Andrew, Plymouth. Plymouth: L. Trend (1978) 18 pp. ill. plan.
Rowe, J. Brooking. The Ecclesiastical History of Old Plymouth, and the Parish, Vicars and Church of St Andrew. Plymouth: W. Brendon & Son (1876). [Includes MIs.]
Rowe, J. Brooking. The Parish and Vicars of St Andrew, Plymouth. Plymouth: Brendon (1876).
Thompson, C.H. Chantry Priests at Plymouth. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries 18 (1935) pp.352-355.
Vicars of St Andrews, Plymouth. Western Antiquary 1 (1881) pp.124-125.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1581 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1817, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1581-1633 & Marrriages 1581-1744, Ebenezer Wesleyan Chapel Christenings 1813-1863
Jewers, Arthur J. Copies of inscriptions; drawings of coats of armour in the churches of St. Andrews and Charles, Plymouth. Manuscript [1890?] [Westcountry Studies Library - msx929.5/PLY/JEW]
Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts). "Marriages at St. Andrew's, Plymouth, 1581-1654", In Devonshire parish registers, vol. 1. London: Phillimore & Co., (1915). (Phillimore's parish register series, vol. 112).
Marriages at St. Andrew's, Plymouth, 1581 to 1837. In: Devonshire parish registers - Vol.2 [s.l.]: [s.n.] (1915) 166p. [Westcountry Studies Library - s929.3/DEV/1538]
Name Index to Plymouth St Andrew Baptisms (1745-1798), Devon Family History Society. [Microfiche]
Register of the parish of St. Andrew's, Plymouth, Co. Devon. [Exeter: Devon and Cornwall Record Society, (1952) 480 + pp. [Includes: baptisms, 1581-1618; marriages, 1581-1619; and burials, 1581-1618.]
The register of the parish of St. Andrews Plymouth: baptisms from 1581 to 1633. Typescript (1970) 56p. [Westcountry Studies Library - s929.3/PLY/1581]
Deanery of Three Towns - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837 and Burials 1813-1837 - CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2004). [Index of East Stonehouse - St. George: Baptisms (1813-1840), Marriages (1697-1837), Burials (1813-1840), Pennycross - St. Pancras: Baptisms (1813-1839), Burials (1813-1837); Plymouth - Charles the Martyr: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837); Plymouth - St. Andrew: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837); St. Budeaux: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837); Stoke Damerel: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837). With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850) and Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England (1844).]
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Maureen Carroll. (Resources: Baptisms 1834-1910 - specific look-ups only, not indexed.)
Bev Edmonds has compiled a listing for this parish of burials of members of the militia (only), and offers look-ups from this listing.
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 11 Feb 2016 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|