|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"PUDDINGTON, or Podington, a small village, on an eminence near the source of the river Creedy, 7 miles N. of Crediton, and 8 miles W. by S. of Tiverton, has in its parish 212 souls, and 1361A. of land. the manor belonged at an early period to the Sackvilles, and afterwards to the Walronds. it now belongs, with most of the soil, to C.N. Welman, Esq., of Puddington Lodge, a neat thatched residence in the Italian style, on a commanding eminence. The Church (St. Thomas a Beckett,) has a tower and three bells, and has been mostly rebuilt - the north aisle in 1838, and the nave and chancel in 1848. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £6. 8s. 1½d, and in 1831 at £136, is in the patronage of C.N. Welman, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. David Llewellyn, who has a good residence on a lofty eminence, commanding beautiful prospects, extending to the two coasts of Devon. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Witheridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
A transcription of the Memorial Inscriptions in the Churchyard is held in the Society of Genealogist's Library, in Vol. 6 of Devon Memorial inscriptions (DE/M19).
Transcripts of Baptisms (1790-1812), Marriages (1759-1812) and Burials (1790-1812) by Maureen Carroll.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1555 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1740-1812 - for details see their book list.
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
The Deanery of South Molton: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Bishop's Nympton, Cheldon, Creacombe, Cruwys Morchard, East Anstey, East Woolfardisworthy, East Worlington, George Nympton, King's Nympton, Knowstone, Mariansleigh, Meshaw, Molland, North Molton, Oakford, Puddington, Rackenford, Romansleigh, Rose Ash, Satterleigh, South Molton, Stoodleigh, Templeton, Thelbridge, Twitchen, Warkleigh, Washford Pyne, West Anstey, West Worlington and Witheridge. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850) and Kelly's Directory of Devonshire (1902). CD-ROM 062, Exeter, Devon FHS (2015). [Bishop's Nympton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Cheldon Bapt: 1813-1843, Mar: 1755-1835, Bur: 1813-1841; Creacombe Bapt: 1814-1902, Mar: 1759-1835, Bur: 1813-1850; Cruwys Morchard Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Anstey Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1688-1839; East Woolfardisworthy Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1840, Bur: 1813-1837; East Worlington Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; George Nympton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1790-1837; King's Nympton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Knowstone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1740-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Mariansleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1757-1837, Bur: 1813-1838; Meshaw Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1756-1836, Bur: 1813-1838; Molland Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1838; North Molton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Oakford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1840; Puddington Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1759-1836, Bur: 1740-1837; Rackenford Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Romansleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1730-1837; Rose Ash Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1850; Satterleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; South Molton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Stoodleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Templeton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Thelbridge Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1853; Twitchen Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Warkleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1851; Washford Pyne Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1756-1836, Bur: 1813-1840; West Anstey Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1745-1838; West Worlington Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1846, Bur: 1813-1851; Witheridge Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1835]
Puddington Village web-site.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Maureen Carroll. (Resources: Baptisms 1801-1856; Burials 1801-1812.)
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Puddington from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Voce, Eileen. Gleanings from the history of Puddington (2nd ed.) Halberton: E.Voce (1989) 56p: ill. [Westcountry Studies Library - pB/PUD/0001/VOC]
Puddington contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Voce, E. Jan Stewer: Schoolmaster, Devon Family Historian, no. 95, (2000) pp.12-18 [with photographs of Puddington School].Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 20 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|