GENUKI Home page up Devon ContentsContents & Search Nearby Places Nearby Places upGeneral information
 
 

SHERFORD

Map of the area
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
"SHERFORD, a small ancient village, in a pleasant valley, three miles E. of Kingsbridge, has in its parish 450 souls, and 2326 acres of land, including part of the village of Frogmore, which is situated at the head of a navigable creek, three miles E.S.E. of Kingsbridge, and has 232 inhabitants, of whom 90 are in this parish, 77 in Charleton, and 65 in South Pool parish. Here are lime kilns, coal wharfs, and granaries, where vessels of 100 tons load and unload their cargoes. The manor is dismembered, and the parish now belongs to W.Y. Clarke, W. Pollard, and L. Howard, Esqrs., and a few smaller owners. It anciently belonged to St. Nicholas's Priory, Exeter, and afterwards to the Willoughby, Trevelyan, and Templer families. Kennedon, an ancient farm house of the early Tudor period, was successively the seat of the Prall, Halls, and Aldam families, the latter of whom sold it to L. Howard, Esq. Its tower was taken down by the Aldams. Malston, another farm house of the same age, was the seat of a family of its own name, and afterwards of the Stighulls and Reynells. The Church (St. Martin,) is a fine specimen of the decorated style, and has a lofty tower and five bells. . . . The benefice is a curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Stokenham. The tithes were commuted in 1842, the vicarial for £171.5s., and the rectorial for £249. 19s. 8d. per annum. Of the latter, £105 belongs to the Vicar of Townstal, and the rest to several impropriators. Here is a small Weslyan Chapel. Poor seamen or their widows, of this parish, have 3A. of land, purchased with £50 left by George Dottin, in 1701." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Coleridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.

General information:

Cemeteries

Square, J. Harris. Epitaphs from Churches, Churchyards and Burial Places in the Following Parishes: Kingsbridge, South Milton, East Allington, Dodbrooke, Malborough, Blackawton, West Alvington, Sherford, Charleton, Thurlestone, Churchstow, East Portlemouth. Devonshire Association Trans. 29 (1897) pp.182-215. [Index]

Census

Name indexes to the 1841 and the 1861 census, from the Parishes of the South Hams website.

Church History

Sherford - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).

Church Records

Parish Registers going back to 1713 are held in the Devon Record Office - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon Record Office. They also hold the Bishops' Transcripts from 1608 onwards

The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1800-1837 - for details see their book list.

Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):

Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).

Indexes to baptisms (1756-1812) and burials (1713-1822) provided by Ray Osborn.

Sherford banns of marriage 1824-1929. Devon Family History Society (1994) [5] leaves.
Deanery of Woodleigh Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837 and Burials 1813-1988 - CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2006). [Index of Aveton Gifford: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837), Bigbury: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837), Buckland-Tout-Saints: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1818-1822), Burials (1813-1988), Charleton: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1780-1812), Chivelstone: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1800-1837), Churchstow: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1848), Dodbrooke: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837), East Allington: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837), East Portlemouth: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837), Kingsbridge: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837), Kingsbridge Ind.: Burials (1793-1897), Loddiswell: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837), Malborough: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837), Moreleigh: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837), Ringmore: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1764-1814), Salcombe: Baptisms (1813-1839), Sherford: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1800-1837), Slapton: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837), South Huish: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1856), South Milton: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1838), South Pool: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1838), Stokenham: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837), Stokenham Ind.: Burials (1795-1836), Thurlstone: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1838), West Alvington: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837), Woodleigh: Baptisms (1813-1839), Marriages (1754-1837), Burials (1813-1837)]

Directories

Transcription of the entry in White's Devonshire Directory (1850) by Terry Partridge.

Copy provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.

Scanned image of Kelly's Directory entry (1923), from the Parishes of the South Hams website.

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

Genealogy

The South Hams Genealogical Information Resource website offers lookups in their records concerning this parish.

History

Bradbeer, Grace. The Land That Changed Its Face: The Evacuation of Devon's South Hams 1943-1944. David & Charles, Newton Abbot, Devon (1973). [ISBN 0-7153-5781-6]
Coutin, Kay S. Sherford: some notes on the history of the parish. (1975) [Exeter Univ. Lib.]
Goodman, J.R. One Thousand Years of Sherford. Harbour Bookshop, 2 Mill Street, Kingsbridge, Devon TQ7 1ED, England, (1998) 92 pp. [Tony Eames: Among the families covered are those of BURT, MARCH, RANDALL, WITHECOMBE, JELLARD, HOATH, PATEY, KELLOND, WEST, KENDALL, SHERRATT and TRIST/TRUST.]
Trahair, Phillipa. History of Brook House and Cottages [Sherford], (1992) [Devon FHS Library p942.35/SHE]
Trahair, Phillipa. Stancombe - A Devon Manor, Forever Publications, 6 Sherford Down Road, Sherford (1995) 73p.
The sacrifice of the South Hams, 1943-1944, [Slapton], [Commem. Cttee.] [1984] 7 pp. [Westcountry Studies Library pB/SOU 2/1943/SAC]
History of "Brook House" and cotttages formerly known as "Kellands": a tenement in the manor of Sherford, Devon. Sherford Village Community Ass. (1992) 14p: maps. [Westcountry Studies Library - p728/SHE/HIS]

Names, Personal

Sherford contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.

Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Last updated - 26 May 2013 - Brian Randell

Return to top of page
Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.