This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.   

GENUKI Home page up Devon ContentsContents & Search Nearby Places Nearby Places
 
 

SHILLINGFORD ST. GEORGE

Map of the area
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
"SHILLINGFORD ST. GEORGE is a small parish in the Kenn valley, on the old road from Exeter to Plymouth, 3 miles south from Exeter, in the North Eastern division of the county, Exminster hundred, Wonford petty sessional division, St. Thomas union, county court district of Exeter, rural deanery of Kenn and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter. The church of St. George is an edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style. . . . in the chancel is a double-canopied brass, with kneeling effigies heraldically attired, to Sir William Huddesfield, attorney-general to Edward IV. and of the privy council of Henry VII. and a justice of Oyer and Terminer, ob. 20th March, 1499, and to Katherine (Courtenay), his wife, and three children; at the foot of the brass is a Latin inscription: Sir W. Huddesfield rebuilt the tower of the church, and on the western face is a shield with supporters bearing his arms, impaling those of Courtenay, and below are similar shields: there is another brass with inscriptions to John Seaman B.A. "preacher of God's Holy Word in Shillingford," ob. 25th April, 1664: the east window is a memorial of Lady Palk, and there is another memorial window to Mrs. Pitman, of Dunchideock: there are 115 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1565; marriages, 1569. . . The chief crops are barley, oats and pasture. The area is 415 acres; rateable value, £700; the population in 1901 was 63." [From: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1902]

Biography

Southcote, Thomas (by 1528-1600), of Shillingford George and Bovey Tracey, Devon. The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1509-1558, ed. S.T. Bindoff, 1982.

Cemeteries

MIs for this parish are included in the Devon FHS index - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.
Cresswell, B.F. Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon, (1912). [Extracts]
Whitmore, J.B. Devonshire Monumental Inscriptions, MS at Society of Genealogists (1951). [Extracts]

Church History

Shillingford St George - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).

Church Records

Parish Registers going back to 1565 are held in the Devon Record Office - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon Record Office.

Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1565 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.

The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1680-1812 - for details see their book list.

Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1577-1837, and Marriages 1569-1753, 1765-1835.

An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Alphington, Ashcombe, Bishopsteignton, Chudleigh, Combeinteignhead, Dawlish, Dunchideock, East Ogwell, East Teignmouth, Exminster, Haccombe, Ide, Kenn, Kenton, Mamhead, Powderham, Shaldon, Shillingford St. George, Starcross, Stokeinteignhead, St. Thomas the Apostle (by Exeter), Trusham, West Ogwell and West Teignmouth. Includes Chudleigh United Reformed Church and East Teignmouth Zion Independent Chapel Burials. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850) and Kelly's Directory of Devonshire (1902), CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2015). [Alphington Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1812-1837; Ashcombe Bapt: 1813-1841 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1783-1837; Bishopsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Chudleigh Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Chudleigh United Reformed Chapel Bur: 1834-1836; Combeinteignhead Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1800-1837; Dawlish Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Dunchideock Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1756-1836 Bur: 1813-1851; East Ogwell Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; East Teignmouth Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; East Teignmouth Zion Independent Chapel Bur: 1809-1836; Exminster Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1813-1837; Haccombe Bapt: 1821-1842 Mar: 1773-1801 Bur: 1829-1839; Ide Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Kenn Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1813-1837; Kenton Bapt: 1813-1844 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Mamhead Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Powderham Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1835 Bur: 1785-1837; Shaldon Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Shillingford St. George Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1765-1837 Bur: 1680-1842; Starcross Bapt: 1815-1840 Mar: 1828-1837 Bur: 1828-1837; Stokeinteignhead Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1800-1837; St.Thomas the Apostle (by Exeter) Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Trusham Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1743-1837 Bur: 1750-1837; West Ogwell Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1843 Bur: 1813-1839; West Teignmouth Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837.]

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

Shillingford Local History Society. What's in a name? : the memorials in Shillingford St. George Church. Shillingford Local History Society (2010) [WSL : px929.5/SHI/SHI and DRO: 14/NEL]

Genealogy

Parr, John Frank. Parr family of Chudleigh, Alphington, Powderham, Shillingford and Exeter, Western Antiquary 3, 1884, pp. 47-48.
Rogers, W.H.H. Rogers-Courtenay-Huddesfield of Bradford-on-Avon, Wilts, Cannington, Somerset, and Shillingford, Devon, Wiltshire Notes and Queries. 3, 1899-1901, pp. 337-45. [16th c.]
Rogers, W.H. Hamilton. Rogers-Courtenay-Huddesfield of Bradford-on-Avon, Wilts, Cannington, Somerset, and Shillingford, Devon, in his Archaeological papers relating to the counties of Somerset, Wilts, Hants and Devon. [ ]: the author, 1902.

History

General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Shillingford St George from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.

Names, Personal

Shillingford St George contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.

Shillingford St George Apprentices Register - 1807-1832, Exeter, Devon Family History Society, (Booklet & PDF A378). [Foreword]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Last updated: 5 Dec 2015 - Brian Randell

Return to top of page
Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.