A parish in Wonford Hundred, the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter. Its chapel of ease at South Zeal did not have separate registers. Regarded as part of the Dartmoor area.
"TAWTON (SOUTH) is a compact village, pleasantly situated on the banks of the small river Taw, at the north end of Dartmoor Forest, four miles E. by S. of Okehampton, and 18½ miles W. of Exeter. Its parish contains 1871 inhabitants, and 6097½ acres of land, including 86A. of woods, 79A. of orchards, and 1574A. of open pasture and forest. It comprises the hamlets of Itton, Tawgreen, Whyddon Down, Gooseford Week, Fulford, Ramsley, Dishcombe, and South Zeal, extending from two miles S. to three N. by E. of the church. The parish also comprises many scattered farm-houses, "c., and its surface is picturesquely broken into hill and dale, rising boldly on the south-west to the heights of Dartmoor, where the Taw and other rivulets have their sources. . . . The Parish Church (St. Andrev,) is a large antique structure, with a tower and six bells." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Brown, Mike. South Tawton (Pre-1900 Survey). In Dartmoor Region Monumental Inscriptions Indexes, Vol. 23. Dartmoor Press, PO Box 132, Plymouth PL4 7YL.
Brown, Mike. Guide Notes to Monuments in Devon Churches & Graveyards: South Tawton. 20pp. [Burgoyne, Oxenham, Battishill, Wykes]
Whitmore, J.B. Devonshire Monumental Inscriptions, MS at Society of Genealogists (1951). [Extracts]
South Tawton - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Burton, Charles Kingsley. Account of the parish church of St. Andrew, South Tawton, Devon, and chapel of St. Mary, South Zeal. (5th ed.). Gloucester, British Pub. (1966) 36 pp. illus., map.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1540 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1540-1738, and Marriages 1558-1738.
List of Clergy, provided by John Williams.
Lega-Weekes, Ethel. The Churchwardens' Accounts of South Tawton. Trans. Devon Assoc. 38 (1906) pp.497-528, 39 (1907) pp.302-336, 40 (1908) pp.306-312 and 41 (1909) pp.361-367. [Raymond: Discussion, including extracts.] [Index to part 2]
The Deanery of Dunsford: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Ashton, Bridford, Chagford, Cheriton Bishop, Christow, Doddiscombsleigh, Drewsteignton, Dunsford, Gidleigh, Hittisleigh, Holcombe Burnell, South Tawton, Spreyton, Tedburn St. Mary, Throwleigh and Whitestone. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Ashton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1740-1837; Bridford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Chagford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Cheriton Bishop Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1841, Bur: 1813-1837; Christow Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1757-1844, Bur: 1813-1837; Doddiscombsleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1780-1837; Drewsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Dunsford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Gidleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1748-1812 (BT's), Mar: 1814-1837, Bur: 1813-1884; Hittisleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Holcombe Burnell Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1753-1837; South Tawton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Spreyton Bapt: 1803-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Tedburn St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Throwleigh Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Whitestone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Chancery Proceedings - James Mallett of Spreyton (12 Dec 1710), concerning Tawton Mills, transcribed by Mike Mallett.
The Cosdon Beacon Villages (Belstone, South Tawton, South Zeal, Sticklepath) web-site provides extensive information and many photographs.
Conservation Area Appraisal for South Tawton and South Zeal - interesting accounts of the areas, with numerous photographs and maps.
Brown, Mike. Trade Directory for Belstone, Drewsteignton, South Tawton, Throwleigh 1850, 1870, 1878, Dartmoor Press (2001).
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Denise Bray. (Resources: Bapt 1540-1837; Mar 1558-1837; Bur 1558-1837. Warning: some registers are illegible.)
Dartmoor Press Online Magazine's page for this parish (archived copy), with articles, transcriptions, publication details, etc. - highly recommended.
ENG-DEV-SOUTHTAWTON is a mailing list for people researching their ancestors from the parish of South Tawton.
Wonnacott Family web-site, by Paul Wonnacott.
Mallett, Richard. From Devon to Dublin, Devon Family Historian, vol. 135, (2010) pp.13-14. [About the Mallet family, originating in South Tawton in the early 1700s, through to Robert Mallett of Dublin, ("one of Ireland's most important scientists and engineers").]
Moore, Joe. Of Green Men and Other Things, Devon Family Historian, vol. 113, (Feb 2005) pp.12-13. [Descendants of William Moore, m. Elizabeth Knapman, South Zeal 1845]
Thornton, W.H. Some reminiscences of the Wykes of South Tawton, and a few remarks upon their residences. Trans. Devon. Assoc. vol. 29, (1897) pp.175-181. [Index]
Wykes-Finch, Rev. W. The Ancient Family of Wyke Of North Wyke, Co. Devon. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 35 (1903) pp.360-425. [An excellent transcription of this article is provided by Harry Wykes]
Worthy, Charles. Wykes of Northwyke, Weekes of Honeychurch and Cheverston of Cheverston, Wray, East Ayshe and Ilton. In Devonshire Wills, London: Bemrose (1896) 516 pp. [Transcription by Harry Wykes]
The History of North Wyke - from the World Wykes Web.
Lega-Weeks, Ethel. Neighbours of North Wyke. Trans. Devon Assoc. vols. 33-37 (1901-05) - four parts. [Index to pt 3, Index to pt 4]
Radford, Roy and Ursula. The Book of South Tawton and South Zeal (with Sticklepath), Tiverton, Halsgrove Community History Series (2000) 160 pp., over 200 photographs. [ISBN: 1-84114-056-2] [Index]
Reichel, O J. Hundred of South Tawton in early times. Trans. Dev. Assoc. 44 (1912).
Searley, A.W. (comp.) North Wyke Scrapbook [1930?] 529p: ill, maps. [Westcountry Studies Library - sB/SOU 7/0001/SEA] (Collection of articles from Trans. Devon. Assoc., photographs, etc.)
Williams, H. Fulford. Notes on the parish of South Tawton with South Zeal, Devon. Typescript (1962) 11p. [Westcountry Studies Library - sB/SOU 7/0001/WIL]
Brown, Mike. South Tawton. In "Dartmoor Tithe Apportionments, Vol. 7". The Dartmoor Press (c1997) 16p.
Lega-Weekes, Ethel. The old mansion of North Wyke. Trans. Devon. Assoc. vol. 32, (1900) pp.195-205: ill. [Index]
North Wyke: the history and heraldry of North Wyke. Typescript [1985?] 13p. [Westcountry Studies Library - px728.8/SOU/NOR]See also the web page History and Heraldry of North Wyke, which provides a well-illustrated account of the house, and its owners (in particular the Wyke family during the 13th-18th century).
South Tawton contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Will of James Lang (1828), transcribed by Teresa Lang.
Will of Charles Roe (1817). transcribed by Ros Dunning.
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 26 May 2013 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|