This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.   

GENUKI Home page up Devon ContentsContents & Search Nearby Places Nearby Places
 
 

STOKE CANON

Map of the area
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
"STOKE-CANON, a small village near the confluence of the rivers Exe and Culm, and near the Bristol and Exeter Railway, 4 miles N.E. by N. of Exeter, has in its parish 490 souls, and 1217 acres of land. The manor was given by King Athelstan to Exeter Cathedral, and still belongs to the Dean and Chapter, who also own a great part of the soil, and are appropriators of the tithes and patrons of the perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at £221, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. T.N. Penoyre, for whom the Rev. T.H. Knight, of Exeter, officiates. The Church (St. Mary,) was rebuilt about 1836, except the tower, at the cost of £1000. The interior is neatly fitted up, and the tower has a clock and four bells. In April, 1847, a hot cinder, blown from one of the railway engines, ignited the thatched roof of a row of cottages, and the fire spread till 24 dwellings, including the Parsonage House, were destroyed." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]

A parish in Wonford Hundred, under the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter.

Cemeteries

MIs for this parish are included in the Devon FHS index - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.

A transcription of the Memorial Inscriptions for the Church of St Mary the Virgin is held in the Society of Genealogist's Library, in Vol. 7 of Devon Memorial inscriptions (DE/M20).

Church History

Stoke Canon - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).

Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene - website

Church Records

Parish Registers going back to 1654 are held in the Devon Record Office - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon Record Office.

Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1654, and of the Bishops' Transcripts going back to 1608, are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.

The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.

Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1608-1837, and Marriages 1608-1620, 1641, 1656-1837. (These entries are in part from Bishops' Transcripts.)

Sellman, R.R. Stoke Canon, Devon: edited transcript of parish registers 1654-1837, with family reconstitutions. Typescript (1990) 60p. [Westcountry Studies Library - sx929.3/STO/1654]
The Deanery of Aylesbeare: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Aylesbeare, Bicton, Branscombe, Broadclyst, Clyst Honiton, Clyst St.George, Clyst St.Mary, Colaton Raleigh, East Budleigh, Farringdon, Harpford, Huxham, Littleham, Lympstone, Otterton, Ottery St. Mary, Pinhoe, Poltimore, Rockbeare, Salcombe Regis, Sidbury, Sidmouth, Sowton, Stoke Canon, Topsham, Venn Ottery, Whimple, Withycombe Raleigh and Woodbury. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850 and Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England 1844, CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2012). [Aylesbeare Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Bicton Bapt: 1813-1843, Mar: 1755-1835, Bur: 1813-1852, Bur: 1725-1845 (BTs); Branscombe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1545-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Broadclyst Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Clyst Honiton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Clyst St. George Bapt: 1813-1837, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Clyst St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1756-1840, Bur: 1813-1837; Colaton Raleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Budleigh Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Budleigh Salem Chapel, Bur: 1832-1837; Farringdon Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1852; Glenorchy Independent Exmouth, Bur: 1784-1818; Harpford Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1809-1837; Huxham Bapt: 1813-1852, Mar: 1758-1836, Bur: 1813-1864; Littleham (near Exmouth) Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Lympstone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Otterton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Ottery St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Pinhoe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1844, Bur: 1813-1838; Poltimore Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Rockbeare Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Salcombe Regis Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Sidbury Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1830, Bur: 1813-1837; Sidmouth Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Sowton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Stoke Canon Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Topsham Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Venn Ottery Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Whimple Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Withycombe Raleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Woodbury Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]

Directories

Transcript of entry in White's Devonshire Directory of 1850.

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

Genealogy

The Online Parish Clerk for this parish is Thomas Peeke, who invites queries and lookup requests.

Spiller, Margaret. Who Was John Pook, Victim of the Sonning Rail Disaster?, Devon Family Historian, vol. 150, (2014) pp. 5-8.

History

General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Stoke Canon from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.

Cresswell, Beatrix F. The parish of Stoke Canon: a record of a thousand years of village life. Typescript [192-?] 19p. [Westcountry Studies Library - B/STO 2/0001/CRE]
Gentry, F.D. Take Care of your Fire and Candle [11 fires in Devon towns]. Devon Books (1985) 138p. [ISBN 0861147596] [Devon FHS Library 929.35]
Davey, Dennis. 100 Years of the Events & People of Stoke Canon, Dennis Davey, 42 Vinnicombe Road, Stoke Canon EX5 4BB.
Piper, Gillian and John. Stoke Canon. A Short History (1987) [DFHS LOC 352]

Military History

The 1914-18 War Memorial, transcribed by John Williams.

Societies

This parish is covered by the Five Parishes Local History Society - chairman: Dennis Davey. Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Last updated: 13 Dec 2015 - Brian Randell

Return to top of page
Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.