|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"TALATON, or Tallaton, a village on a northern declivity, 3½ miles N.W. of Ottery St. Mary, and 11 miles N.E. of Exeter, has in its parish 462 souls, and about 2250 acres of land, rising to a bold eminence, which overlooks the Otter valley, and including 140A. of waste, and the hamlets of Larkbeare, Escot, Talewater, and Fairmile, and several scattered houses. Sir John Kennaway, Bart., is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the soil, and has a handsome seat here, called Escot House, built on the site of the old mansion, which was erected about 1688, and was destroyed by fire, on Dec. 28th, 1808, . . . J.P. Mathew, Esq., owns part of the parish, and resides at Ridon House; and Mr. R. Pratt and a few smaller freeholders have estates here. The Church (St. James,) has a tower and five bells, and contains a rich screen, and some memorials of the Eveleigh and other families. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £32. 3s. 1½d., and in 1831 at £581, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. L.P. Welland, who has 62A. 1R. 1P. of glebe, and a rent-charge in lieu of tithes. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Hayridge Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter. Part is now included in the modern parish of Escot (1840).
Talaton - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Channon, Lucy. A short history of St. James the Great, Talaton parish church, Exeter, Devon. Talaton: Talaton PCC (1997) 12p: ill.
Cresswell, Beatrix F. A short history of Talaton parish church. [Exeter?]: [The Author?] (1937) 16p: ill, plan. [Westcountry Studies Library - p726.5/TAL/CRE]
Editors. Rectors of Talaton. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 7:5, (1912) pp.179-180. [First of proposed incumbent lists. See also 7, p.285: 197 & 199. 1284-1898]
Skinner, A.J.P. Rectors of Talaton. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 7:6, (1913) pp.216-219. [See vol.7, p.179. Additional material from Talaton PRs. [1636-1790]
Mfc of Talaton PRs 1621-43, Bap 1653-72, 1680-81?, 1685-1886, Marr 1653-1836, Bur 1653-71, 1678-1938, CW accts 1592-1617, etc. are held at the SoG Library [DR/REG/117717].
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1621 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1800-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1621-1837, and Marriages 1621-1836.
Burials 1837 - 1846, 1847 - 1856, 1857 - 1866, 1867 - 1876, 1877 - 1886, 1887 - 1896 and 1897 - 1906, provided by Devon Heritage.
Sellman, R.R. Talaton, Devon: edited transcript of early parish registers with family reconstitutions and other evidence. Typescript (1991) 81p. [Westcountry Studies Library - sx929.3/TAL/1621]
An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Bradninch, Broadhembury, Buckerell, Butterleigh, Clyst Hydon, Clyst St. Lawrence, Cullompton, Feniton, Kentisbeare, Payhembury, Plymtree, Rewe, Silverton and Talaton. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850 and Kelly's Directory of Devonshire 1902. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Bradninch Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Broadhembury Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1838; Buckerell Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1841; Butterleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Clyst Hydon Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1790-1837; Clyst St. Lawrence Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1814-1851; Cullompton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Feniton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1790-1837; Kentisbeare Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1839, Bur: 1813-1837; Payhembury Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1838, Bur: 1800-1837; Plymtree Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1541-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Rewe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1780-1837; Silverton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Talaton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1800-1837].
Cottell, W H. Parish Register Inaccuracies. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 9:2, (1916) pp. 53-54. [Index]
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
This parish is one of the growing number of places for which the Devon Heritage website provides census or parish register transcriptions, articles, and/or illustrations, etc.
Michell, George B. An unpublished Devon pedigree. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 5:5, (1909) pp.175-176. [Extracted from Harleian MS, no.1567, fo.28b.] [Michell Family]
Pratt, R.M. The Pyles of Talaton. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries 18, 1934-35, pp. 70-72. [Raymond: Extracts from Talaton parish registers, 16-17th c.]
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about Escott and Talaton from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Hay, E. Collection for the History of Plymtree, Broadhembury and Talaton. (1925) [Westcountry Studies Library, Exeter Cathedral Library]
Talaton contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 23 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|