A parish in Wonford Hundred, the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.
"TEDBURN ST. MARY, a pleasant village on the Okehampton road, 7½ miles W. by N. of Exeter, has in its parish 867 souls and 4433 acres of land, generally fertile, and hilly. It has a cattle fair, on the Monday before Michaelmas day, and includes the hamlet of Upcott, and many scattered farm-houses. At Domesday Survey, Tedbourne (Teteborne) was held by Ralph de Pomerai, under Baldwin de Sap. It is now held by John Hippesley, Esq. The manors of Hackworthy and Melhuish were formerly held by families of their own names, and now belong to Baldwin Fulford, Esq., of Fulford House, which is noticed with Dunsford, at page 192. John Abbot, Esq., and several smaller owners have estates in the parish. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower and six bells . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Hall, Grace. Grace: bell-ringer at large. Tedburn St. Mary: G.Hall (1989) 48p: ill. [Westcountry Studies Library - p920/HAL]
A transcription of the Memorial Inscriptions for the Church of St Mary, Tedburn, is held in the Society of Genealogist's Library, in Vol. 2 of Devon Memorial inscriptions, DE/M15.
Cresswell, B.F. Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon, (1912). [Extracts]
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1557 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1557-1837, and Marriages 1558-1837. (These entries are in part from Bishops' Transcripts.)
Sellman, R.R. Tedburn St. Mary, Devon: edited transcript of parish registers to 1837. Typescript (1989) 170p. [Westcountry Studies Library - sx929.3/TED/1558]
Tedburn St. Mary parish registers, 1557-1943: transcript. Typescript  [Westcountry Studies Library - x929.3/TED/TED]
The Deanery of Dunsford: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Ashton, Bridford, Chagford, Cheriton Bishop, Christow, Doddiscombsleigh, Drewsteignton, Dunsford, Gidleigh, Hittisleigh, Holcombe Burnell, South Tawton, Spreyton, Tedburn St. Mary, Throwleigh and Whitestone. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Ashton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1740-1837; Bridford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Chagford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Cheriton Bishop Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1841, Bur: 1813-1837; Christow Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1757-1844, Bur: 1813-1837; Doddiscombsleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1780-1837; Drewsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Dunsford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Gidleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1748-1812 (BT's), Mar: 1814-1837, Bur: 1813-1884; Hittisleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Holcombe Burnell Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1753-1837; South Tawton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Spreyton Bapt: 1803-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Tedburn St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Throwleigh Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Whitestone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Tedburn St. Mary website.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
Williams, H. Fulford. Notes on the Parish of Tedburn St Mary, Devon. Typescript (1965) 7 leaves. [Westcountry Studies Library]
Breedon, Margaret and Dalling, Vivian. Murder at Tedburn St Mary on 2nd December 1848, Devon Family Historian, vol. 136, (Nov 2010) pp.34-35. [Concerning the murder of Grace Holman, of which James Landick was found guilty]
Murder in Devonshire (Tedburn St Mary), Devon Family Historian, vol. 132, (2009) p.13. [From the West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser, 26 Jan 1849 - concerning William Cann, Joseph Mills, Mary Ann Emery, James Landick and James Mill, accused of murdering a Mrs Holman.]
Transcription, by Fay Sampson Priestley, of a Rent Book for the Fulford Estate, including the Manors of Fulford and Melhuish. (The original document is in private hands.)
Tedburn St Mary contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.
Tedburn St. Mary Primary School, 1877-1977: at school in rural Devon. Heritz Studios (1977) 14 pp. ill., ports.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 12 Dec 2011 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|