A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.
"THORNBURY, on the banks of the small river Waldon, five miles N.E. of Holsworthy, is a pleasant village and parish, containing 524 souls, and about 2000 acres of land. Mrs. Freer and Mrs. Fowke, (two sisters,) of Leicestershire, are ladies of the manor, and owners of most of the soil, held on life leases, not to be renewed. They have also the patronage of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 3s. 11½d., and in 1831 at £221, and now in the incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Edgcumbe, B.A., who has 90A. of glebe, and a good residence, lately put in thorough repair. The Church (St. Peter,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]
Thornbury - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1652, and of the Bishops' Transcripts going back to 1600, are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Judy Adams, who invites queries and lookup requests. (Resources: PRs on fiche.)
Williams, H. Fulford. Notes on the parish of Thornbury, Devon. Typescript (1964) 6p. [Westcountry Studies Library - sB/THO 3/0001/WIL]
The Lashbrook One-Place Study is producing a name index to material and information relating to the parish in general, but particularly to Lashbrook, Lashbrook Wood, Lashbrook Moor. These Lashbrook places were found during research for the Lashbrook One Name Study (which was until recently organised by the late George Lashbrook). Members of the Lashbrook family are found in this parish and the family name might well have originated there. (Contact: Colin D.J. Mills, 70 Chestnut Lane, Amersham, Buckinghamshire HP6 6EH.)Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 12 Dec 2011 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|