"WEMBURY, a scattered village near the sea cliffs between Plymouth Sound and the mouth of the Yealm, 6 miles S.E. by S. of Plymouth, has in its parish 646 souls and 3670 acres of land, including the hamlets of Knighton and Down Thomas. . . . E.R.P. Bastard, Esq., is now lord of the manor and of the royalty of the river Plym, from Kitley to Plymouth Sound. C.B. Calmady, Esq., is lord of the manor of Langdon, and resides at Langdon Hall a neat Elizabethan mansion, which has been the seat of his family for several generations. T. Lockyer and several smaller owners have estates here, and Sir Edward Thornton, G.C.B., has a handsome seat in the parish. The Church (St. Werburg,) stands near the sea cliff, and is a small antique structure, with a tower and three bells. . . . The perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at only £83, is in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, and incumbency of the Rev. Rd. Lane, jun., of Brixton. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here, built in 1820.. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Plympton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.
Transcription provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Robert Rowland, who invites queries and lookup requests.
This parish is one of the growing number of places for which the Devon Heritage website provides census or parish register transcriptions, articles, and/or illustrations, etc.
Avery, Wynsum G.D. The Averys of Wembury, (1997). [Devon FHS Library 929.2/AVE]
Rowland, Robert. The Rede family of Wembury, Devon Family Historian 1, 1977, pp. 18-20.
Sue Davey's Wembury pages provide historical information, and parish register extracts.
Broughton, P.W. The Wembury docks and railway proposal of 1909. Wembury Local History Society (1995) [iii], 16 leaves: ill, maps. [Westcountry Studies - px387.15/WEM/BRO]
Clamp, Arthur L. Recollections of Wembury. Plymouth: The Author (1995) 32p: chiefly ill. [Westcountry Studies - pxB/WEM 3/1900/CLA]
Evans, H. Montague. Wembury: its bay, church and parish - parts 1 and 2. Trans. Devon Assoc. 41-42 (1909-10). [Index]
Guthrig, Sylvia. Wembury: a scrapbook of cuttings and leaflets, 1959-1988. Manuscript (1988) [Plymouth Library - 965WE]
Guyver, Robert M. Wembury project. Wembury: R.M.Guyver (1985) 1vol: ill. [Westcountry Studies - sxB/WEM 3/0001/GUY]
Guyver, Robert M. Wembury parish, 1840-1841: historical information (1987) 23p. [ISBN 074680024x]
Rowland, Robert. The Parish of Wembury. Devon Family Historian 22 (April 1982) pp. 5- 6.
Discovering Wembury - a guide to Parish History, Environment and Footpaths. (7th ed.) Wembury Parish Council (2000) 42p.
Rundle, C.A. A Closer Look at Manorial Records. Genealogical Quarterly 31 (1964) pp.10-12. [Wembury rental, 1745]
Manorial Records and Tithe Maps. Genealogical Quarterly 30, 4 (1964) pp.156-157. [Raymond: Includes summary of tithe appportionment, 1838, for Wembury.]
Guyyver, Robert M. Wembury Parish 1840-1841: Historical Information. Tithe Map Publications (1987). [Raymond: Includes the tithe apportionment, 1840, and the census, 1841.]Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 23 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|