|This is an archived copy - GENUKI/Devon is now here.|
"OGWELL (WEST) is a small parish adjoining East Ogwell, about two miles S.W. of Newton-Abbot. It has only 51 souls, and about 1000 acres of land, generally fertile, and finely undulated. At Domesday Survey the manor was held by Wm. Pictavensis, or Peytevin. It was sold by one of the Earls of Devon to the Reynell family, and is now the property of General Thos. Wm. Taylor, C.B., who is Lieut.- Governor of the Military College at Sandhurst, and has a handsome seat here, called OGWELL HOUSE, pleasantly situated in a small deer park, finely clothed with wood, and now occupied by H.C.B. Barton, Esq., and Mrs. Barton. The Church is a small plastered fabric, with a tower and three bells, and contains several neat monuments." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Wonford Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.
Obituary Notice - Daniel Robert Scratton (d.1902), provided by Tim Treeby.
West Ogwell - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Adams, Maxwell. Some Notes on the Churches and Manors of East and West Ogwell. Trans. Devon Assoc. (1900), vol. 32, pp.229-248. [Westcountry Studies Library s725.6/EAS/AD] [Index]
McDermott, Mark. West Ogwell Church, Devon. Churches Conservation Trust (1996) p: ill, plan. [Westcountry Studies Library - p726.5/WES/McD]
Webber, Dick. A Name At Last, Devon Family Historian, vol. 156, (2015) pp.30-31. [Suggests the parish church might have been dedicated to Saint Gregory.]
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1843, Burials 1813-1839 - for details see their book list.
Among the records for this parish provided by Devon Heritage are transcripts of Burials for 1837-1917.
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
List of Rectors, provided by Tim Treeby.
An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Alphington, Ashcombe, Bishopsteignton, Chudleigh, Combeinteignhead, Dawlish, Dunchideock, East Ogwell, East Teignmouth, Exminster, Haccombe, Ide, Kenn, Kenton, Mamhead, Powderham, Shaldon, Shillingford St. George, Starcross, Stokeinteignhead, St. Thomas the Apostle (by Exeter), Trusham, West Ogwell and West Teignmouth. Includes Chudleigh United Reformed Church and East Teignmouth Zion Independent Chapel Burials. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850) and Kelly's Directory of Devonshire (1902), CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2015). [Alphington Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1812-1837; Ashcombe Bapt: 1813-1841 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1783-1837; Bishopsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Chudleigh Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Chudleigh United Reformed Chapel Bur: 1834-1836; Combeinteignhead Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1800-1837; Dawlish Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Dunchideock Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1756-1836 Bur: 1813-1851; East Ogwell Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; East Teignmouth Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; East Teignmouth Zion Independent Chapel Bur: 1809-1836; Exminster Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1813-1837; Haccombe Bapt: 1821-1842 Mar: 1773-1801 Bur: 1829-1839; Ide Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Kenn Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1813-1837; Kenton Bapt: 1813-1844 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Mamhead Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Powderham Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1835 Bur: 1785-1837; Shaldon Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Shillingford St. George Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1765-1837 Bur: 1680-1842; Starcross Bapt: 1815-1840 Mar: 1828-1837 Bur: 1828-1837; Stokeinteignhead Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1800-1837; St.Thomas the Apostle (by Exeter) Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Trusham Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1743-1837 Bur: 1750-1837; West Ogwell Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1843 Bur: 1813-1839; West Teignmouth Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837.]
Ogwell Parish community website (covering West and East Ogwell).
Transcription provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk for this parish is Marlene Ball, who invites queries and lookup requests. (Resources: PRs.)
This parish is one of the growing number of places for which the Devon Heritage website provides census or parish register transcriptions, articles, and/or illustrations, etc.
Gibson, Barbara. The Story of West Ogwell House (c1970) 25p. [Very limited stocks: available while they last from the Convent of St John the Baptist, Hatch Lane, Windsor, Berks SL4 3QR] [Includes details of the Taylor and Reynell families.]
History of the Parish of Ogwell, compiled by Tim Treeby
Adams, Maxwell. Some notes on the churces and manors of East and West Ogwell. Trans. Devon Assoc. (1909). [Westcountry Studies Library - s726.5/ASH/ADA]
History of Ogwell House, now known as Gaia House, a Buddhist Retreat Centre.
Maps of the Ambrook Ward, the (Modern) Parish Boundary, and of West and East Ogwell Properties from Teignbridge District Council.
Ogwell History Society has information relating to the history of East and West Ogwell and notably has some interesting documents concerning the Scratton family - Peter Young is willing to receive queries.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 14 Jan 2016 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|