"PUTFORD, (WEST) in the Torridge valley, 8½ miles N. of Holsworthy, is a village and parish, containing 490 souls, and 2620 acres of land, including the small hamlets of Colscot, Thriverden, and Westfield. Wm. May, Esq., is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle, the Rev. P. Thomas, Archdeacon Stevens, and a few smaller owners. The Church is a fine cruciform structure, in the perpendicular style, with a tower at the west end, containing three bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £9. 11s. 0 ½d., and in 1831 at £204, is in the patronage of Wm. May, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. J.L. May, B.A., who has 89A. of glebe, and a good residence, recently erected. . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Select map to view parish
boundaries in detail.
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter.
Grylls, Richard G. The Making of a Missionary: The early life of Thomas Grills Vanstone, Devon Family Historian, vol. 115, (2005) pp.8-13.
Lambert, J.W. The Bodley Head, 1887-1987. London: Bodley Head (1988) vii, 365p: ill. [ISBN 0370309499] [Biog. of John Lane]
Aldridge, Nicola. Monumental Inscriptions: St Stephen's Churchyard, West Putford, (2003). [DFHS Library 929.5/PUT, SoG Library DE/M 11]
Transcription of the 1841 census, by Nicola Aldridge.
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1668, and of the Bishops' Transcripts going back to 1614, are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library - for details see Parish Registers in the Devon & Cornwall Record Society's Collection.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837 - for details see their book list.
Among the records for this parish provided by Devon Heritage are transcripts of Burials for 1837-1851, 1870-1891.
Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1614-1681, Marriages 1614-1629, 1664-1683, 1696-1811.
An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Abbots Bickington, Ashwater, Black Torrington, Bradford, Bradworthy, Bridgerule, Clawton, Cookbury, Halwill, Hollacombe, Holsworthy, Luffincott, Milton Damerel, Pancrasweek, Pyworthy, Sutcombe, Tetcott, Thornbury, West Putford and Holsworthy Weslyan Burials. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850), Kelly's Directory of Devonshire (1902) and A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis (1831), CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2014). [Abbots Bickington Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1770-1833 Bur: 1813-1837; Ashwater Bapt: 1813-1841 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Black Torrington Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Bradford Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1705-1837; Bradworthy Bapt: 1813-1838 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Bridgerule Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Clawton Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1800-1837; Cookbury Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1756-1837 Bur: 1813-1841; Halwill Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1843; Hollacombe Bapt: 1813-1898 Mar: 1757-1837 Bur: 1813-1852; Holsworthy Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1860 Bur: 1813-1837; Holsworthy Weslyan Bapt: 1812-1831; Luffincott Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1756-1837 Bur: 1814-1840; Milton Damerel Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1761-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Pancrasweek Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1756-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Pyworthy Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1838; Sutcombe Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1800-1837; Tetcott Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1836 Bur: 1813-1837; Thornbury Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1756-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; West Putford Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1838.]
Transcription provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
The Online Parish Clerk for this parish is Nicola Aldridge, who invites queries and lookup requests. (Resources: PRs 1841-> Census; MIs, etc.)
This parish is one of the growing number of places for which the Devon Heritage website provides census or parish register transcriptions, articles, and/or illustrations, etc.
Horter, Sally. A Cautionary Tale of Two Grandmothers one in Devon and one in Cornwall, Devon Family Historian, vol. 154, (2015) pp.27-28. [Susan Johns, b. 1845]
General historical and descriptive information, area map from 1765, details about administrative boundaries, etc., about West Putford from the Devon Library's Local Studies Service.
Walther, W.G. "The Good Old Days"; at Cory Barton, west Putford, North Devon. Devon Family Historian, No. 84 (Nov. 1987) pp. 29- 31.
Williams, H. Fulford. Notes on the parish of West Putford, Devon. Typescript (1963) 8p. [Westcountry Studies Library - B/WES 5/0001/WIL]
Garvice, Charles. A farm in Creamland; a book of the Devon contryside, New York, Hodder (1903) 392 pp. [LC: DA670.D5]
Covy Manor, near Holsworthy, Devon. Underwood Warmington  11p: col ill, map. [Westcountry Studies Library - p333.322/WES/UND]
West Putford contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last updated: 23 Jul 2015 - Brian Randell
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.|